Soulgrinder...painted with oils *WIP*

Only Redmodelling Staff may start new topics in this forum. All users may respond to existing topics.
redfinger ( 76 )
Journeyman Trader

Soulgrinder...painted with oils *WIP*

Post by redfinger »

Often times, to get the blending and tones I am looking for I use oil paints to create the desired effect. The learning curve is a little steep, but once you get the technique down, it can produce great results!.

On this particular commission, the client wanted a real fleshy, nurgle-ess skin color, also for the metal bits to be nice and dirty. My client was the one who did the head conversion, and I think it looks really well done.

Here is how I received the model;

The gold legs were also painted by the client, but I will weather them heavily. I felt the original GW plastic grey was a good undertone to use for the skin color, so I simply hit the plastic w/ a thin coat of dull coat to give the paint something to bite into, then using my airbursh, and a technique called "pre-shading" I shaded and highlighted the skin unitl I was happy w/ the results, I ended up w/ something like this;

At the clients request, she wanted some blue worked into the skin, so I airbrushed some blue on the scales of the neck and back, and gave the skin a oil wash that is most comparable to devlin mud.

After that the oil blending began, using Burt Sienna and Raw Sienna, as well as a little black I was able to add depth and darken the shadows, then using a little white, black and green, I was able to bring out the lights in the skin. I am pretty happy with the results.

For the armor plates I decided to stick with the blue them as well. They were painted in a very dark red, Vallejo Black Red I think, and then covered with crackle medium, followed by the blue, a tricky technique, but produces awesome results. After that had dried I weathered it up and that is the point I left it at to dry for a few days. From here it should move pretty quick, as the weathering on the base and arms should be fairly simply.

Thanks for looking!

Ashton
Jeramakus ( 340 )
Expert Trader

Re: Soulgrinder...painted with oils *WIP*

Post by Jeramakus »

Beautiful.
Feedback pending owed to:
Awaiting feedback from: Mchaulklin
redfinger ( 76 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by redfinger »

I appreciate the compliment.

Ashton
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

That's looking seriously cool.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Jeramakus ( 340 )
Expert Trader

Post by Jeramakus »

Any updates to this?
Feedback pending owed to:
Awaiting feedback from: Mchaulklin
redfinger ( 76 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by redfinger »

Jeramakus wrote:Any updates to this?

It is actually almost done, I was waiting until I had finished it to post completed pictures. The client is not in a real hurry to have it, so I have been taking my time on it.

Ashton

Return to “Redmodelling Painting and Converting”