Army Monster Opinions?

Talk about all GW fantasy here

Moderator: Moderators

Humble Bumble ( 98 )
Journeyman Trader

Army Monster Opinions?

Post by Humble Bumble »

Hopefully this is the right page for this thread:

I'm trying to decide on my next Warhammer Fantasy Army to start. I already have a Dwarf Army. Not interested in any Elves (for obvious reasons) or undead armies. They just aren't my thing but I would consider them before I would Elves.

What I want in my next army is Monsters! I want large monster units! Monsters, monstrous beasts, monstrous cavalry, monstrous infantry. I want large figures. Also interested in regular cavalry and war beasts. Maybe chariots.

It appears my best choices for these are:

Lizardmen (Love me some dinosaurs! And I happen to have a few units of Saurus warriors from odd trades and older collections)
Ogres (interested in converting some rhinox riders, maybe a lotr elephant into a mammoth.)
Beastmen

Other possible interests: Daemons, WoC

If I went human I would go Bretonnia (Looks like it would appeal to the Arthurian nerd in me.)

Just wondering what people think of these armies. I've played Ogres in the past and did dabbled in Beastmen for a bit last time I played. My bro has played them too.

What do people think of Lizardmen, Ogres and Beastmen? Also wouldn't mind opinions on any other army. Especially if they have some neat monsters!
Bumbles bounce!
ShaneC ( 34 )
Apprentice Trader

Re: Army Monster Opinions?

Post by ShaneC »

I can only comment on WoC. With the use of Throgg, trolls become core, and monsters become possible all over the place. The downfall being the lack of ranks/steadfast, but well, it's a monster mash!
Awaiting Feedback From: Quirk26 and WilsonUndead
Solution9 ( 70 )
BTown Regular

Post by Solution9 »

I would strongly recommend Ogres if monsters is what you are looking for. They are a filthy army with plenty of big things and strong too. Lizardmen are a strong second choice IMO. Both are great armies and both are great monster armies. You can't go wrong with either.
Dawink ( 20 )
Trade Novice

Post by Dawink »

WoC Core Troll with Throgg for General. Special. Chimera and Ogres Rare Giant, Slaughterbrute/Mutiliah Vortex beast, spawns.....or go Monster cav with Skullcrushers For bsb you can model anyting you want......make him 1+//3++ reroll 1s tz guy and model him like a big bird......i dont play him cuz i think hes like cheating but options.
VeritasAg ( 26 )
Trade Novice

Post by VeritasAg »

As a Lizardmen player of many years, I found even the new monsters that came out in the last codex were a bit lackluster imo :(

WoC trolls with Throgg is always fun or even Chimeara spam with a Demon Prince, but if you'd like a whole army with low model count and big dudes, Ogres look a lot of fun and can be nasty in the right hands.
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

I love my OK army. I tend to run more infantry heavy, but Mournfang cav are probably one of the hardest hitting cav units out there. I never run a list without at least 3 of them. Good sized blocks of 12+ Ogres/Iron Guts are nice too. They are durable, put out a bunch of wounds and depending on the load out can hold their own against most other core choices.

Outside of the Thundertusk/Stonehorn you won't find many large monsters but considering the Rank and file are monsters themselves it makes up for it.

They are also surprisingly fast with a M6.
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Tlo1048 ( 198 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Tlo1048 »

I second the Ogres vote. I love the buggers.

But honestly the coolest part of the hobby is sheer conversions...you can take a normal Ogres army and add bits and model it however you want and its perfectly legal to play. Another cool factor is Yhettis! I love the sculpts!

But other things to consider are Lizardmen (Obviously), WoC (Again, Obvious), Beastmen, Skaven, Vampire Counts. My personal favorite is and always will be Vampire Counts. You can make stinking anything a zombie. Dragons, Ogres, Hounds, Giants galore.
Lower feedback ships first. I do it for people with higher feedback than myself, you should too.
I also do NOT ship Internationally, and that includes Canada
If you give me a number that includes shipping, you need to make sure that the Paypal fees is an acceptable loss. I do NOT send Friends and Family, unless it is indeed "Friends and Family".
Bad feedback? You pay/ship first, always.
Always trade list: Will72, ewestphal, Plarz, Lord Cedric
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

The threadomancy is high in this post. After a year, I would hope Humble Bumble has figured out an army. lol

Ogres are cool though. That is all.

I'm not going to lock the post though, mostly because I would like MM to chime in with something hilarious before locking it himself.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125

Return to “The Olde Worlde”