Is Deathclaw Collectible?

Talk about all GW fantasy here

Moderator: Moderators

Alzarakh ( 38 )
Journeyman Trader

Is Deathclaw Collectible?

Post by Alzarakh »

(I'm a 40k player, please forgive me :))

So, I was recently contacted by someone for a local trade and he said that he has a super collectible model from the early 90's. So being interested I took a look and was surprisingly underwhelmed. Basically is this guy full of hot air or is the model collectible?

Emperor on War Griffon Deathclaw
http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x4/c93537-01.htm

Being as the model was from '93sih I wasn't too impressed. Should I bother?
Trading: Lower ships first.
Please Leave References!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Is Deathclaw Collectible?

Post by kturock »

griffen is almost the excat same as current. karl franz now has a sword.

I had it. It was poorly molded. like all from back then.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Alzarakh ( 38 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Alzarakh »

Yeah, I think I'm going to pass this one up. Thanks for the reply.
Trading: Lower ships first.
Please Leave References!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
Xoan ( 158 )
Journeyman Trader
Location: Garden City, Kansas or 3 miles from the middle of no where

Post by Xoan »

I have painted that model twice, so I feel I can say with experience. As far as griffins from that time are concerned it was one of the better models, however the newer model are awesome for two main reasons. A) they are not pewter they're now plastic and B) models have become more and more heroic, and now the mount is a more heroic model too appearance wise.

I would certainly not call it rare with the age of freebay, and BT, I am sure you would get more than one hit if you put a post up looking for it or did a search on freebay. Like one above said too, he normally comes with either option with the weapons sword or hammer, and the hammer has normally always been the better choice for people.

Just my thoughts anyways.
I will ship out of the US please let me know within the first post where you are if not in the US, it does affect how the trade goes some times. Thanks Also lower rank ships first, and I always want to both use and receive a tracking number so I can know when to expect things.

I have a website and a blog, and I am a painting service feel free to ask for a quote anytime.
http://miniaturesampd.com/
http://miniaturesampd.wordpress.com/
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

Just by adding "metal" in front of his name, here's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28mm-Empire-Kar ... 532wt_1344

I'm sure if you did more searching, you could easily find more.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Alzarakh wrote:(I'm a 40k player, please forgive me :))

So, I was recently contacted by someone for a local trade and he said that he has a super collectible model from the early 90's. So being interested I took a look and was surprisingly underwhelmed. Basically is this guy full of hot air or is the model collectible?

Emperor on War Griffon Deathclaw
http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x4/c93537-01.htm

Being as the model was from '93sih I wasn't too impressed. Should I bother?
Yes, it's collectable. There will come a time when it has some decent value in the secondary market.

Now is not that time. That Griffin was still in production in metal until the beginning of Finecast.

The Elector Count on Griffon, OTOH, is of some interest now.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
Xoan ( 158 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Xoan »

It might have some value some day, but it will never be like a Pre-Heresy army that still can be played, and even that is not extremely collectable. Some people want it, but there is not a flood of them. I will be more than the first lizard man models for WHFB. lol those people were happy to see fade out when new stock came out.

It will be interesting to see what that freebay item sells for, right now it has a single bid after being posted for 1.5 days, it has 8 more to go.
I will ship out of the US please let me know within the first post where you are if not in the US, it does affect how the trade goes some times. Thanks Also lower rank ships first, and I always want to both use and receive a tracking number so I can know when to expect things.

I have a website and a blog, and I am a painting service feel free to ask for a quote anytime.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Xoan wrote:It might have some value some day, but it will never be like a Pre-Heresy army that still can be played, and even that is not extremely collectable. Some people want it, but there is not a flood of them. I will be more than the first lizard man models for WHFB. lol those people were happy to see fade out when new stock came out.
You may be right. But there is demand for the old Skaven Doomwheel, the original Citadel Dragons, and a variety of other older monsters simply because they are different from the current models. You may also decide that the new, UBER-GRYPHON is not for you, and seek a more reasonably sized model.

As I said, there will come a time when people are seeking this model--maybe not a lot, but it'll certainly happen.

I would not pay more than $25 for a good condition, metal KF on Deathclaw, presently.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
Xoan ( 158 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Xoan »

What I meant about not having the same value is in line with what you are saying I believe. The Pre-Heresy stuff sells for more than anyone would have guessed when it first came out. I have seen an arm sell for more than the sticker price, to me that is collectable. heh A Griffin that keeps a 25 dollar price after is 10 to 15 years old, is like a Volvo car sure they keep their value, but a 65 Mustang is a better investment if you want a return. :)

That being said like buying those cars, it would not be wise to get models based on how collectable they are. heh I am not suggesting that at all.

Pros...
Nice model with good proportions, and easy to put together.

Cons...
Costs a lot of points in game, only certain hero choices can use it, and pretty much limited to one per army even in big games.

PS. I do find some humor in how far this thread has gone on a simple question. hehe

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

easy to put together?

The originals, that had Karl Franz weilding a hmaamer, were so bad, they were actually the feature model in GW's official book on modeling. On how to 'correct/fix' poorly molded or badly shaped, mis-matched pieces.

Actually I think it was in 1 of the 1st how to paint books. 1 was fantasy the other 40k.
It showed how to pin models for strength and use putty to fill gaps.

Yes, they actually admitted their molding wasn't good and needed work.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777

Return to “The Olde Worlde”