Looking to get started

Talk about all GW fantasy here

Moderator: Moderators

chandlergriz ( 122 )
BTown Regular

Looking to get started

Post by chandlergriz »

I am currently looking to get started in building a Tomb Kings Army, but I have no models or paints and only one friend that plays. Any suggestions as to how I should go about getting started? I went to a local store and was kinda "sticker shocked" by the prices of paints and glue and such. ideas?
Ministry of Nerd ( 156 )
Expert Trader

Re: Looking to get started

Post by Ministry of Nerd »

This should really be in the discussion forums.

If you're looking to get started, the Island of Blood set is a great box for relatively little investment. If your heart is set on the Tomb Kings, I'd say wait for the rumored new army book to come out. Mantic also makes some cheaper alternatives (although they're not Egyptian themed)
Please be sure to list your location!
Saves everyone a lot of time.
Wild One ( 422 )
Resident Trader

Post by Wild One »

And do yourself a favor, buy your paints, glue etc. at a hobby store (certainly not a GW store). The prices are much lower than what you'll pay with GW. Let the person at the store know what kind of models you are working with and they can help you select the right glue and paints.

You can also get some very good deals at with some of the advertisers on this site - like Chaosorc.com. You can find models, paint, flock, etc. there at great discounts.

David
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Moved to Fantasy Discussions.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
chandlergriz ( 122 )
BTown Regular

Post by chandlergriz »

Thanks guys.

Sorry for posting wrong.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

look on the GW website in old articles on how to paint TK

I had a decent sized army and used a quick method to paint them.

spray them white a white paint, like you get from kmart, walmart, et.c.
it's a good base coat and cheap.

next get a big old brush, and paint them with a mix of thin brown [or brown ink/wash], yellow ink/wash and ..I think it was minwax.
I forgot the color and you only need a small can.

I read the mix from an old WD from a couple years ago. Same time as the TK came out during the last edition of the rules.

the wash is thin and flows nicely.

it turns the the white a nice aged bone color.
then just a quick dry brush white to highlight raised spots and smooth bones. paint eh swords , crowns, shields. The rainments paint up quickly with basic colors. red, blue, green and a quick trim of gold and done.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777

Return to “The Olde Worlde”