Skirmish game with Tyranids/Marines?

Discussion area for non-GW futuristic wargames.

Moderator: Moderators

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Skirmish game with Tyranids/Marines?

Post by 3eland »

So lately I have been wanting to play some sort of Skirmish game like Necromunda or Infinity(?) or some other type of game but would like to use Tyranids. This is due to A) I love the models and would bring a really cool Alien feel and B) No way can I convince the wife into letting me buy more races for games LOL. A couple of my dice rolling buddies would also enjoy a Skirmish game if it could incorporate 40k models. We have seen some of the extravagant terrain boards made for these types of games and think it would be awesome to play on, definitely different than the normal wargames we play (WHFB, 40K, Warmahordes).

So is there a Skirmish game we could use 40k models for? Specifically Tyranids (for me) and Marines/Eldar (for my opponents). Even if there was a recommendation of rules, as we could always have them "play as" models. Also, would their base sizes matter much? Not exactly sure the correct bases for Necromunda or other Skirmish games.

Thanks Btown!
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Skirmish game with Tyranids/Marines?

Post by kturock »

500 point warband armies?
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Warband armies as in regular 40k? I suppose that could work, it would be scaled down enough to fit on a heavily terrain battlefield. I guess it would be an option we can look into for sure, I wonder if there are any scenarios that could work with it?
~Ryan~

optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

Kill team rules would also work, there are several different versions out there.
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

optimusprime14 wrote:Kill team rules would also work, there are several different versions out there.
That's what I meant.
Warbands are the same idea for fantasy.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

Got it.

Here's a link to GW's rules:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... 13_(6).pdf

there are however other (maybe better) rule sets out there
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Thanks guys, very helpful :D
~Ryan~

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Space Hulk!

Seriously, every time I play it, I get more respect for how much tension they can pack into a mechanically very simple game. Only downside is the limited number of nid options, though I haven't ever looked at the GS hybrid expansion.

Sedition Wars is worth a try, too- the rules are free to download, though there's a fair amount of errata that hasn't gotten incorporated into the rules yet. I expect it would take very little to proxy
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

spiralingcadaver wrote:Space Hulk!

Seriously, every time I play it, I get more respect for how much tension they can pack into a mechanically very simple game. Only downside is the limited number of nid options, though I haven't ever looked at the GS hybrid expansion.

Sedition Wars is worth a try, too- the rules are free to download, though there's a fair amount of errata that hasn't gotten incorporated into the rules yet. I expect it would take very little to proxy
I actually bought Space Hulk for the PC. Although I haven't played it yet due to crazy busy xmas month but I would imagine it is the same?
I'll have to look into Sedition Wars too, thanks Spiral!
~Ryan~

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I have the original SPace Hulk for pc.. back from...the 90's.. It runs on Dos.

I've tried the new one. It's alot like the game.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Sweet, although I have never played the board game, I have read about it (weird as that may be). I'll have to try it out then.
~Ryan~

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

3eland wrote:I actually bought Space Hulk for the PC. Although I haven't played it yet due to crazy busy xmas month but I would imagine it is the same?
I'll have to look into Sedition Wars too, thanks Spiral!
No idea what Space Hulk is like on the computer... is it still turn-based? Also, is it multiplayer?

Re: Sedition Wars, sure! I've been involved in testing its later iterations, and though they're not elegantly combined in one document, if you're willing to do the leg work, I think it's solid and way more flexible than the other systems (since it's designed for regular force org along with scenario play). Just playing from the main PDF should give you a good sense of the game, though, will work as "starter rules"
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

It can be turn based. There are 3 difficulity settings. easy and medium are turn based. Hard is real time.
It has multy player, but I think it's only on the same computer. I never tried to play online. [my comp and connection is too slow for PVP]

Return to “Other Dystopian Futures”