anyone tried dropzone commander?

Discussion area for non-GW futuristic wargames.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

anyone tried dropzone commander?

Post by kturock »

like the title says.. the starters look $$ for the size and number of models, or am I wrong?

also, are they close or the same as, "future war commander" and blitzkrieg commander".
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Re: anyone tried dropzone commander?

Post by imp522 »

Haven't tried it but models do look pricey for what you get. Scale is 10mm
Future War(great set of rules IMO) is scaleless in the sense you can use any scale you want. I have 15mm and 6mm armies for the rule set.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

is the scale the same as epic 40k and warmaster?
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

Same as Warmaster,10mm. Epic is 6mm
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
Hightower40k ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Hightower40k »

I play Dropzone Commander. I play a lot of minis games. Mainly WH40k, but also Dystopian Wars, WHFB, Kings of War, Dust Warfare etc.

DzC is an excellent game. I think the price is not bad considering you pay about 15.00 for a full unit of models (may be 2-3 models). The force is much cheaper to collect than any G-W game, Warmachine, or even Dust Warfare which is quite economical in my opinion. If you get the DzC starter box with a KR multicase the foam is pre-cut for your army and will hold about 4 times more than the original content of the box.

The models are 10 mm and resin. It is very nice resin. It does not require washing before painting. I just clipped, glued and primed and they paint up super nice! The detail on these is incredible. They are light weight, and tough. They don't snap when you drop them. It is a nice, compact army and is easy to transport and store.

They just put out a full table of beautiful cardboard terrain big enough for a 4' x 6' table for $45.00.

The company is Hawk Wargames.The company is active on their forums, responsive to people who post in the company forums, and they've even changed some unit costs based on player suggestions through the forums. Their production levels are high, so there are no long wait times for models to ship. They are adding new units and are currently working on a 5th faction.

Each of the current factions plays very different. They have unique looks and playstyles. Play is fast-paced and brutal. Units get wiped out pretty fast. There are about 8+ scenarios in the rulebook. They are different and fun and I've only played through 3 so far, but they have all been good, balanced, and different.

The book is full color, has all the rules for the game and all the armies. Erratas have come out on the website. They are quick and thorough. When new units have been introduced, the rules are place for free on the website. The company posts experimental rules too. So far, their experimental rules have become official rules for certain models. This company is progressive and reacts quickly to their customer base.

I think it is a really fun game and worth a look for any who like wargames.
Once a Marine, always a Marine!
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Thanks for the reply, although it's about 4 monthes to late.

We tried it and mostly like it. The big shooters in the game, the tanks, can't affect the flyers.
The flyers are mandatory for most games; at least on 1 side. The 'defense' game where 1 player defends a line has almost no need for dropships or gates.
Only infantry can hold objectives or in the random objective game; find them. With infantry only moving 2 inches, transport is crucial.
The infantry's APC's only move a few inches also, so dropships are mandatory.
Movement and deployment are crucial.

The models are very nice looking but the game is on the pricey end. With some of the models running $20 a blister and needing 2-3 blisters for a full unit.
Yes, compared to 40k thats average or possibly cheap, but the models are alot smaller, so you don't feel like you're getting alot. A squad of infantry fits in your hand.

We've played a bit, and will expand our armies as we can afford it.
We have buildings, or at least boxes to use as buildings; but 1 of the players saw the new cardboard terrain set and bought it at a convention.

We play alot of wargames and have games from back in the 90's.

Return to “Other Dystopian Futures”