Infinity - where to start? opinions?

Discussion area for non-GW futuristic wargames.

Moderator: Moderators

flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Infinity - where to start? opinions?

Post by flyingwhale »

I was just feeding my miniature A.D.D and was looking at some Infinity models. I do like the anime (gundam wing style) robots. Anyone who plays this game? Opinion on game mechanics, price, where to start, game length etc etc

This is probably a bigger question and kind of general but just curious

- Jordan
"When life gives you lemons you take those lemons and clone them and make super lemons" - Principal Scudworth

Read this before shipping to me
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Infinity - where to start? opinions?

Post by kturock »

have you gone to their website and watched the video tutorials and downloaded the rules? I think they're just a partial set of rules, without special rules, ie. stealth and such; but they are free.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Shane ( 122 )
Resident Trader

Post by Shane »

Very Terrain intensive. Can be played with just a few minis and a high learning curve
Always looking for well sculpted Female miniatures.
flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by flyingwhale »

Shane wrote:Very Terrain intensive. Can be played with just a few minis and a high learning curve

Define a few... What's an average size game?
"When life gives you lemons you take those lemons and clone them and make super lemons" - Principal Scudworth

drazz ( 122 )
BTown Regular

Post by drazz »

Points-wise, starting level game is around 100-150 points, and tourny games seem to be at the max 300. "Average" will depend on your local groups, but 200-300 points sounds right.

That often translates to 10 models a side. There are rule constraints that make 10 models a maximum "unit," and a lot of people stick to that.

A "horde" style army can be done; with a horde of about 25 models.

I just read a forum post by an author saying he thought he had too many models in his entire collection--27.
flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by flyingwhale »

So it's relatively cheap because of the low model count.

drazz ( 122 )
BTown Regular

Post by drazz »

Definitely. A starter box (6 models, around $50) gets you set at about 100 points, and a mix of model types (light infantry, medium infantry, heavy infantry, and usually a specialized troop or two like a hacker or camoflauge).

That said, the importance of terrain cannot be overstated. You HAVE TO saturate your playing field or things just die quickly.

So much of the game is played during the opponent's turn--in reactions. If there's no where to hide, a simple machine gun will take out a lot of models very quickly.
flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by flyingwhale »

Lots of terrain is not a problem for our group.... I have tons of terrain from warhammer and malifaux, but would those work?

Here is a big question... How does each faction play?? I'm looking at the Aleph or PanOceania.. but If you had a brief summary on each factions play style that be cool :D

drazz ( 122 )
BTown Regular

Post by drazz »

Start with this.

http://www.infinitythegame.com/forum/sh ... ?tid=10664

You may have heard in some tabletop games that its best to pick what looks good to you and will draw your interest. Moreso than in a lot of games, I think this is very true for Infinity. All the factions have basically the same weapons with the same weapon profiles.(rifle, combi rifle, heavy machine gun, missile launcher, shotgun, etc). All the factions have the same model types (almost--Ariadna has no TAG robot yet). The only big differences between factions are look, common special rules, and common model count.
flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by flyingwhale »

Thanks that helps.

I like the Aleph I think....Just need to figure out where to start

drazz ( 122 )
BTown Regular

Post by drazz »

Aleph is a common favorite. Great looking models, good stats/equipment making them all elite, and the concept of being run by an AI is pretty cool too.

Aleph is commonly seen in two forms: standard troops and the (forthcoming) Greek sectorial. The Greeks are easier to talk about. The AI has reincarnated famous types; in this case Achilles and Patriclus, and then surrounded them with smoke-bomb wielding ubermen. That's pretty much it.

The more "standard" Aleph are androids, robots and high-level weapons.

Either way, Aleph will have low model count but high tech toys. (Sorta Grey Knight-ish).
flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by flyingwhale »

drazz wrote:Aleph is a common favorite. Great looking models, good stats/equipment making them all elite, and the concept of being run by an AI is pretty cool too.

Aleph is commonly seen in two forms: standard troops and the (forthcoming) Greek sectorial. The Greeks are easier to talk about. The AI has reincarnated famous types; in this case Achilles and Patriclus, and then surrounded them with smoke-bomb wielding ubermen. That's pretty much it.

The more "standard" Aleph are androids, robots and high-level weapons.

Either way, Aleph will have low model count but high tech toys. (Sorta Grey Knight-ish).

Low model count... meaning less money... I like it lol

xcom ( 104 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by xcom »

I have a question. I've also been looking at getting into Infinity. Someone told me to hold off because a new revised rule book was about to come out. I can't seem to find anything that confirms that there is a new one coming out soon. I do see there is a 2nd Ed revised out. Is there a 3rd edition of the rules in the works that's due out in the near future?
drazz ( 122 )
BTown Regular

Post by drazz »

There's a new book coming out, but its not a new rule set or revision. Its an expansion based on campaign rules and a new race/faction. Go ahead and get into the game!
xcom ( 104 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by xcom »

drazz wrote:There's a new book coming out, but its not a new rule set or revision. Its an expansion based on campaign rules and a new race/faction. Go ahead and get into the game!
Ah thanks, I was a little confused. Now I just need to figure out which faction I want to play. Thinking about the combined.

Return to “Other Dystopian Futures”