Mutant Chronicles vs 40k

Discussion area for non-GW futuristic wargames.

Moderator: Moderators

Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Mutant Chronicles vs 40k

Post by Imaginos »

I was recently in the mood to run the Dark Heresy RPG and started picking up the books through trades and ebay. I sat down with the core book and some of the others, was reading through them to prep the game, and it dawned on me. I really prefer the universe of the Mutant Chronicles to 40k. So I dug out my copy of Mutant Chronicles (2nd edition) and started rereading. The layout on the book is somewhat horrible at times, with character creation not being the best flow either, but I really do prefer this setting to 40k.

So I put aside my Dark Heresy books for anything aside from inspiration and now plan to run Mutant Chronicles instead. Also as a positive, I don't have to deal with players who might call in an extermination order on a planet with MC.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Re: Mutant Chronicles vs 40k

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

I don't know if I prefer one world to the other, but the thing that makes Mutant Chronicles really stand out is that humanity is really on the brink--right now--both of being destroyed and of destroying itself. There are some goofy things, but the menace of the Dark Legion really seems present.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

I kind of commented on one thing that stands out for me. In the 40k fluff I've read, it is never a light decision, but there is always the option to go exterminatus on a planet and bombard it from space. In Mutant Chronicles, you just don't have that option. The Earth was already turned into a wasteland, and you cannot decide to destroy one of the inhabited planets. You have to make the decision to fight for it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

In MC, the corporations took over and the governments were just puppets. seems like a strong possibility.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
astrosmash ( 140 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by astrosmash »

In the grim darkness of the future there is...
big_bob_watts_photo.jpg
Big Bob Watts!
America...F Yeah!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You Are Standing In An Open Field West Of A White House With A Boarded Front Door. There Is A Small Mailbox Here.
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

I never got into the Warzone games proper, but there are many aspects to the Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel boardgame that I have really enjoyed over the years... more than Space Hulk, even!

The movie with Thomas Jane as Mitch Hunter was almost too painful to sit through, though.
astrosmash ( 140 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by astrosmash »

Still need to see Mutant Chronicles movie...it can't be that bad ?!
(I watch a lot of crap though, my standards are kind of low for anything sci-fi/fantasy.)

If Warhammer is 40,000 years in the future, I like to think of the other franchises as prequels.
Something had to happen between now and then right?

For example, the same manufacturer has been making wagon wheels from WH fantasy all the way to 40k artillery wheels with virtually no changes :)
In the same vein, who's making all those Ork pants? What flunkie Scout dropout is sitting in a shop painting power armor and fixing capes?
And now for something completely different...
You Are Standing In An Open Field West Of A White House With A Boarded Front Door. There Is A Small Mailbox Here.
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

If Mutant Chronicles is the prequel to 40K that means there's an STC running around somewhere for Big Bob Watts's shoulder rig! Coming soon to a Space Marine army near you! :lol:
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
MadBrad ( 24 )
Trade Novice

Post by MadBrad »

For those who follow MC and Warzone, a new company has obtained the rights to the MC Universe, and are currently creating a new WZ game, and a new version of the RPG is in the works as well.

Their web page links directly to their Kickstarter website.

...and I am not associated with the company in any way, just a long time Warzone player who is excited to see some of the figures they are working on.

Return to “Other Dystopian Futures”