Dust Tactics. Anyone tried it?

Discussion area for non-GW futuristic wargames.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Dust Tactics. Anyone tried it?

Post by kturock »

I see the pdf is available for sale online.
Has anyone tried it yet?
$20 for a pdf vs $40 for a bound, but the bound could be resold for half price, but pdf is instant.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Shane ( 122 )
Resident Trader

Re: Dust Tactics. Anyone tried it?

Post by Shane »

It looked like an AT43 clone to me
Always looking for well sculpted Female miniatures.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

1st edition dust came out about the same time as AT43.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Moved to Dystopian Futures, as Dust Tactics is sci-fi.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I wasn't sure.. It's sci-fi, but not futuristic.
figured it'd get moved if it was wrong.

saramin ( 532 )
Resident Trader

Post by saramin »

I played this with a friend the other day...

I have also played AT-43 ... and although the models look similar (done by the same sculptor) the 2 games are nothing alike

this playes seriously different the dice used only have hit symbols on them and you either hit or miss... in tactics movement is all done on tiles by squares... the new dust warfare is all in ranges of 6 inches instead of squares...

in fact i have played both tactics and warfare for dust... both are good games and use the same models... not the same types of models ... the models for dust tactics are the ones for dust warfare too.... they didn't put out a new line
Trade Rules: all unless otherwise arranged
Lower Rating ships first, but like ratings can ship at the same time.
Trades are retail for retail.
Shipping is always to be priority mail with dc#'s exchanged.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

any posibility of giving a more explanation of the game mechainc?

What did you like or dislike about it?

Like; you roll d6's, high is better. Everything can hit anything on a roll of a 6. Target movement doesn't affect to the target number. If the attacker moves, it can only shoot at half range. Big template waepons do alot vs unarmored targets but are ineffective vs armored ones. Scale is based on squad level. 1 base is an entire squad.

How big are the models? How big are the vehicles they represent.
Space marines are 7+ feet tall. IG are normal humans. So we can approximate how mig the land raider or rhino is.
Is scale like battletech?

you know, things like that.

Thanks.

saramin ( 532 )
Resident Trader

Post by saramin »

well you use 6 sided die... but it has 2 targets on it... rolling a target is a hit... rolling a blank is a miss (so 4 misses) it seems you would miss a lot, but this is mitigated by the ability to instead of moving, take 2 actions to reroll misses. each unit has 2 actions per turn unless they have some special rule that would give them more... a move action is represented by moving from one square on the board to another (4 inch squares I believe) the first diagonal square is one movement and the second and any after in a single activation is 2 ... so you can only move more than 1 square diagonally if you can move more than 2 squares (there is at least one ability that lets you) LOS is done by terrain in a 2d method... you will either have LOS or not. there are certain things that grant either hard or soft cover... soft cover requires a target to save and hard cover requires blanks... making hard cover much better than soft

walkers can not move through troops, but troops can move through walkers.

when you shoot each unit has a card that tells what your troops stats and abilities are... and their equipment. the Equipment dictates combat (both ranged and CC) a rifel may have a rating of 2/1 against lvl 2 troops (which is what most of what it out are) and - against tanks... while the panzerfaust might have 1/1 against lvl 2 troops and 1/3 against lvl 4 tanks...

the first number is the number of die you roll to hit... the second is how many wounds are inflicted with each hit.

so 1/1 means one die per gun (a unit is usually 5 guys so 5 rifels usually (unless there is a special weapon)) so you roll 5 die and each target achieved scores one wound on the target unit

unless there is cover you simply remove a guy for each wound scored.

there are no templates... a flamethrower will mostly just hit one unit... you will roll one die for each guy in the unit... while it rolls one for the walkers but a hit will kill the tank outright. the problem there is that they have a range of 1 so only adjacent squares.

the models are 28 or 30mm tall they are an average person so I imagine 6'some models are bigger... like the LVL 3 Gorilla models for the Axis... and the walkers of course... which are 2 to 3 times as tall physically. the models actually have a size stat so you can tell if they can see over other models
as far as I know the models are representational... so the bigger models will have a higher number for size

I thought the rules for dust tactics were free from their web sight... but i have not seen it in ages... the warfare book is great and a smooth transition to 3d terrain and tabletop off the mats that come in the expansion boxes and such.

edit to add ... after checking if you go to the support section of the dust tactics page the rules are downloadable.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Thanks for the review.

I downloaded the rules a while ago. I thought that they have released a new set written by Andy Chambers of GW.

saramin ( 532 )
Resident Trader

Post by saramin »

that would be the dust warfare tabletop rules

Return to “Other Dystopian Futures”