Holding magnets in place

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Holding magnets in place

Post by MagickalMemories »

Even accelerator shouldn't melt plastic. Granted, the rapid hardening of the glue does create some heat (as an aside: If you use superglue and accelerator on pluckfoam to hold your foam in place, it DOES smoke! LOL), I don't think it would be enough to melt plastic. I've accidentally hardened some while on my fingers and it didn't do the kind of damage that would be required to melt plastic. I'm not saying it felt GOOD, mind you. LOL

I'm with the rest, kt. I'd LOVE to see examples of what your melted model looks like.

Helpful suggestion:
We have an Advertiser called "The Magnet Baron." You might inquire with him. I seem to recall that he's posted some helpful information on magnetizing in the past.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I use Le Page Gel super glue. Used it for many many years on my models. I'm not a fan of plastic glue because it melts and welds the two pieces together. Sometimes you just need to rip an arm off or two. Loctite makes the same thing in their brand as well.

That being said, I never had good experience with plastic glue, but GW's new nozzle for it has peaked my interest. I used it once and actually enjoy the process better than super glue.

I haven't switched over yet though, but that could be more just being hobby-lazy than anything.

As for holding magnets in place.. well, drill bit and super glue like suggested above.
p_1000658943.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

3eland wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:49 pm
I'm not a fan of plastic glue because it melts and welds the two pieces together. Sometimes you just need to rip an arm off or two
...then you're assembling them wrong. LOL

Stay away from GW's plastic glue. It's overpriced and of a lesser quality than the "good stuff."
User Model Master (first choice) or Testors (second choice).
Model Master is Testors higher-end brand. It has the same metal nozzle as the (smaller) GW tube. The Testors one has a similar nozzle, but it's plastic.

Image Image

I only use plastic glue on plastic models for the very same reason you said you avoid it. LOL

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Whoops... just realized we derailed the thread with talk of plastic glue. LOL
For superglue, I only use Gorilla Glue. It has a higher rubber concentration than other super glue brands, so your glued pieces stay together better under stress. None of my magnets has ever come off when attached with GG.

Eric

usernamesareannoying ( 254 )
Expert Trader

Post by usernamesareannoying »

I use loctite gel with no problems
*notes about trading with me…
I do not like drawn out deals. Id like to have a deal signed and complete within 48 hours.
I abide by the unwritten rules… lower rating ships first pays first.
I always provide delivery confirmation and expect the same.
All deals are US only.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Hey MM, Model Masters IS by Testors.
Check the bottom of the container. That's what I use.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

So far... the liquid green stuff is holding.
Only problem is some of the magnets got put in backwards.

Time to move some around...:-(
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

kturock wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:50 pm
So far... the liquid green stuff is holding.
Only problem is some of the magnets got put in backwards.

Time to move some around...:-(
Oh yeah, you need to mark polarity on models.
Sometimes you just need to rip an arm off or two
MagickalMemories wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:38 pm
I'm in it for the long haul for most of my armies which means over the course of 20 years loadouts and such have changed a lot. Meltas no good anymore? Rip off some arms and put on plasmas? Power Fists are garbage? Rip off arms and replace with chainswords. Having to buy a new model for every loadout is expensive. Hence no plastic glue.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

pretre wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:20 pm
Sometimes you just need to rip an arm off or two
MagickalMemories wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:38 pm
I'm in it for the long haul for most of my armies which means over the course of 20 years loadouts and such have changed a lot. Meltas no good anymore? Rip off some arms and put on plasmas? Power Fists are garbage? Rip off arms and replace with chainswords. Having to buy a new model for every loadout is expensive. Hence no plastic glue.
Like I said. "Wrong."
LOL

Nah. I get where you're coming from. I just shudder at the idea of ripping arms off of models. I paint to a high degree or, if I'm not painting it, tend to want them painted to a high enough degree that the last thing I want to do is rip off an arm. I'd far prefer to buy the bits to assemble the few models I need and paint them or have them painted. That way, when meltas come back into fashion, I'm good.

But I understand. It's a preference thing.

Eric

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I did mark the polarity, and still mixed up almost half.

I know some guys who use GW plastic glue and other like it, because it's not permanent. They can remove them to change the weapons.
Also one said when the model gets dropped, it can break at the weld, rather than the part itself.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”