WIP - Ork Looted: Forgeworld Warlord Titan Arioch Power Claw - FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

WIP - Ork Looted: Forgeworld Warlord Titan Arioch Power Claw - FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Recently, a friend of mine bought two of the Warlord power Claws here:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-DE/Warl ... Power-Claw

One of these will be made into terrain, while the other he wanted looted into an "Orky vehicle."

Me: What kind of vehicle do you want it to be?
Him: We'll use it for any damned thing we want to. It's a looted f***ing Warlord Power Claw!
Me: Okay. I'll make it happen.

Because he bought two of them, you'll see that there's a (I don't know? Power cell?) piece on one side that is usually only a singular piece on the actual claw. Since the other claw was going to just be terrain, I did the proppa Orky thing... and looted it. Now, there are matching power cells, one on each side!
Eventually, when it's finally created, I'll get some images of the terrain pieces.

Here are the kits at my disposal:

Ork Trukk
Ork Battlewagon
Space Marine Storm Raven
2x Forgeworld Warlord Titan Arioch Power Claws (only 1 full kit will be used, with the other reserved for terrain, as previously mentioned)

Various plasticard pieces.

--------------------------------------
A note on my style of converting...
"Clip, glue, go!"
I don't plan anything. I look at what my need is and what I have available to me. From there, I go with it. I'll find or make what I need.
I do measurements on the fly. They're a combination of actual measurements and eyeballing.
If there's a piece I need that doesn't exist, I'll snip and clip multiple pieces to convert into the piece I'm looking for.
--------------------------------------

We get together every Saturday. As such, there is only 2 days of work into this, so far. Last week I put together the fist, itself I added the Trukk frame as an undercarriage, and attached the Battlewagon Tracks in the back.
I honestly didn't even think about keeping a WIP thread at that time, so there are no images from then.
I had somewhere between 4 and 6 hours into it that day.

I worked on it again yesterday.
He'd been looking at it all week, and decided the tracks were too narrow. Either I needed to get another set and add them next to the tracks that were there, or widen the frame.
Frankly, I was glad of it. I thought the bottom was a bit too narrow. In fact, the pieces were tacked together with the barest bit of superglue, just in case (normally, I prefer to use plastic glue on plastic joins, occasionally supplemented by super glue).

My work this week was to build an entire rear end that the Claw could sit on without being too high. Height was the trick, as he/we didn't like it if it sat too high. We'd experimented with a number of heights last week, and the only thing we liked was to have the fist sitting almost exactly on top of the tracks, with VERY little clearance. I also built and added the Grabbing Klaw with Gobbo driver and the front tires. The tire assembly was quite the trick. I didn't want it to look TOO unrealistic (not that it'll be seen when in use), but I wanted to use Ork bits as much as possible. All in all, I'd say I probably have 9 or 10 more hours into it this week, maybe more. Seems like a lot for as little as was added, but like I said, the entire rear end/undercarriage was built from scratch with plasticard, and I built 2 or 3 iterations before I was happy.

I'll have more/better pics last week. These were taken right before leaving, and as an afterthought. So, I just snapped some pics of it as it sits.
Right now, the rear undercarriage is NOT attached (the front wheels are), so I'll be able to get more detailed images next weekend.

I had a view from the front, but wasn't checking the pics as I took them. Apparently, I moved. I got dizzy just trying to LOOK at the image. LOL

The black you see in the image above is because the undercarriage is hollow. Little will be done with it, paint wise. As such, I went ahead and primed the inside black. Since the main body of it's all plasticard sheet, tube, H-beam and I-beam, it was a stark white. I wanted it primed before we got around to gluing it together. This way, there's no risk of any white glaring out at us. The hollow, shadowed areas down in there will be black.

Input and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Plans for the future:

Add a gunner.
I'm not sure exactly how this will go. Either a small platform/cab will be added behind the Gobbo/driver using the Trukk driver bits , appropriately converted to make it clear that he's operating the guns. I'm working on this, just to see what it'll look like. I'm honestly not sure how happy I'll be with hip, but he's the first option I'm looking at.
Another option is to mount a couple ork gunners with "trigger" hands from the Battlewagon kit, one on each side. As shown in the 3rd pic above, there are nice, flat panels on the rear of each side of the gun. These could easily be Orkied up properly.

Thanks for looking!

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: WIP - Ork Looted: Forgeworld Warlord Titan Arioch Power Claw

A note on pieces...
Just the powerfist, as it came from FW (with the added power cell) is 33 pieces (we didn't use the thumb)
2 bits were added to the rear from the Storm Raven to emulate an exhaust
(35)
There's the Trukk frame
(36)
Each track piece is 2 parts, and there's a body piece it attaches to. (3x2=6)
(42)
The front tires are 2 pieces each, and the piece that holds them to the trukk frame is made from 3 pieces of the Battlewagon kit (2+2+3=7)
(49)
There are 3 thin pieces of plasticard in front of the trukk frame, glued together, filling in a gap between a finger and the frame (one sits flush, one doesn't). I'm only counting it as 1 piece, though.
(50)
The rear of the undercarriage has 3 decorative Ork bits on it
(53)
The front of the undercarriage has 2 decorative bits and the 2-piece fuel tank from the trukk (1+1+2=4)
(57)
The Gobbo driver/grabbin klaw is made from 7 different pieces
(64)
Now, the fun stuff.
The undercaruage is made from layers of plasticard.
There are 19 different pieces of plasticard there.
(83)

Current piece count in this model is 83. There's still a ton to do. Once the gunner(s) issue is hammered out, I'll need to add bits, plates and gubbins to it to properly orkify it.

I'm enjoying this project immesely!

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Whoops... Just remembered that I had to beef up the axle on the front tires:
Axle (1)
Plasticard tube piece (1)
H beam (1)
Total pieces 86... and I feel like I'm STILL missing something.

Eric

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Nice work. As far as piece count. It's not much above the Ork Trukk. My count for it is 83 with all the bits.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

'ooks 'ike ya got a gewd ting goin dere, da boss will be happy!

Waaaaaaaaaaagh
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

kturock wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:43 am
Nice work. As far as piece count. It's not much above the Ork Trukk. My count for it is 83 with all the bits.
Yeah... but I figure I'm about half to 2/3 done.
:shocked:

Eric

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

That's an awesome conversion! Normally I expect ork stuff to be decent excuses for mauling vehicles and sticking dudes on them, but that just looks great. Other than a nice, orky paint job, the only thing I'd add is something to sell the copula/turret transition. It looks like it's supposed o swivel, so, maybe a heavy mount to brace that on?
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

spiralingcadaver wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:49 pm
That's an awesome conversion! Normally I expect ork stuff to be decent excuses for mauling vehicles and sticking dudes on them, but that just looks great. Other than a nice, orky paint job, the only thing I'd add is something to sell the copula/turret transition. It looks like it's supposed o swivel, so, maybe a heavy mount to brace that on?
Yeah. We talked about the swivel. Obviously, it doesn't. LOL
The thing about it right now is that the cupola can just be yanked off, if we think of something better. We considered a transition piece but, honestly, any transition piece will look as "glued on" as this does. We could build up a 'welded' look with greenstuff, but we don't want to mangle the fist TOO much. You know?
It's a delicate balance... we definitely want things to look "realistic" and authentic, but he wants to retain the "fist" look, so doesn't want too much "mauling" done to it. Frankly, I think I'll be lucky if he lets me add ANY patch-work armored plates to it, at all. LOL

Eric

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

This thread is why we need the like button.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Thank you, sir.
: )

I'm on a FB 40K converters group. it's getting a lot of love there, too.

Eric

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: WIP - Ork Looted: Forgeworld Warlord Titan Arioch Power Claw - FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!

Finished this bad boy up the weekend before last. Left it with the owner to ruminate over to see if he wanted any changes.
He confirmed on Saturday: he's happy. It's done.
In the end, we decided against adding any riggers, so as not to make it any busier. I think that, if we'd added anything else, it would cross the line from Ork Looted to "a reason to glue a bunch of crap together." LOL

Front end: shim to lend support. Attached the finger to the frame. This was done semi-purposefully. The Fist was assembled before adding the frame, so as to NOT look specifically posed to fit perfectly. You blow up a Titan, and it's fist is just going to stop working outright. LOL

This shows the tire attachment on the front. The tires are glued to their axle. The plasticard tube was split and a section was removed. An H beam was glued to the top of the axle, and the tube was wrapped around for support. This lent strength and a better attachment point.
Axle is attached to the Trukk frame by one of the front tire pieces from a Battlewagon, cut down, and 2 pintle mounts from pintle-mounted big shootas from the battlewagon kit:

Above from the front underside. Also shows the shim between the finger and frame.

Same thing because... I don't know why. The picture is there, so...

This just shows the H beam added to the frame to give it a larger area to glue to the undercarriage & the tube used as a spacer for frame support.

Side view of above. Also shows where the frame connects directly to the "palm" area of the fist.

Inside of the undercarriage from the rear. Inside is pre-primed. White areas are where the primer was scraped off so that the plastic glue would hold the undercarriage to the trukk frame (shown above).

Same, but from the front. Also shows the gas tank removed from the trukk frame.

Neither of the above images shows it well, but you can tell if you look. Glyphs, etc. were added to the front and rear of the undercarriage.

Underside of the undercarriage from the front. Shows the tube used as frame support.

Front right with added glyph:

Front left with added glyph:

One of the exhausts (right rear):

BOTH right rear exhausts:

Rear exhaust. Orkified!

Eric

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: WIP - Ork Looted: Forgeworld Warlord Titan Arioch Power Claw - FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!

FINAL PRODUCT IMAGES:

From above read:

Left side:

View from above:

View from the front:

3/4 view from the front:

That's it. What do you think?

Eric

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

That's awesome. If you don't mind, I'd like to post it in a local thread on our boards for 'Random awesome minis'
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

It would be my pleasure. Thanks.

I'd appreciate it if you'd link back to BT, so as to maybe drum up a little traffic.

Eric

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Done!

Return to “Creative Endeavors”