2017 Bartertown Members Assembly Challenge

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: 2017 Bartertown Members Assembly Challenge

Post by kturock »

Thats sort of what I was thinking of, Bigger models equal to how many smaller models it takes to build.
1 point for just basing/rebasing a model? Maybe a half point?
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

Hmmm. The thing is I spend a shitload of time cleaning filing and eaning single pose models. There is more to it than just gluing it to a base. I honestly spent as many hours getting my 8 ratlings togetjer who are two part than my 10 scions. Should just have a multipart kit IE an assault space marine or "simple" line easy to assemble tacticals.
Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

Just give bonus points for multipart kits. An easy to assemble primarisnis worthnless then a standard plastic kit primaris for example. Hoenstly though I sand file and file my models. I soent about as many hours doing my 9 ratlings than I did making my 10 scions. If all your doing is gluing something to a base your not completeing assembly to me. That would be like entering a primered model into a painting comp.
Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

Just give bonus points for multipart kits. An easy to assemble primaris is worth less then a standard plastic kit primaris for example. Honestly though I sand file and fill my models. I soent about as many hours doing my 9 ratlings than I did making my 10 scions. If all your doing is gluing something to a base your not completeing assembly to me. That would be like entering a primered model into a painting comp
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I just started building the GW 40k Orks Kult of Speed Battleforce.
First model is the Big Mek with Shokk Attack gun. Its on a 40mm base, like terminators. Its worth 2 points.
It has 18 parts plus the base.

What number would be the baseline for a 'standard' model and how many parts for a multi-part kit to get a bonus?

I trim off the excess plastic when building, but leave some of the filing until I primer the models. I trim and clean for building, but don't usually go after the mold lines until I go to paint. I find the primer makes the mold lines stand out. Same for any spots that need filling. I then decide if I can use the imperfection in the model, or does it need to be repaired.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

I think that a models base shouldn't necessarily determine how many points a model is worth by itself. Could just have simple, multipart, complex for each category. So for example: mono pose spacemarine, standard space marine, FW legion champion.

I wouldnhave been cool with the shok attack gun being weigh like a light warjack personally. Its a big ass model. To me assembly includes cleaning mold lines etc. If you leave filling to after primer thats fine. Assembly should be everything outside of basing work before you prime. All the stuff I submitted for 2017 had been cleaned of mold lines, sanded, magnetized, filled, and out on a base before pictures were taken.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

The shokk attack gun is on a termie base so that'd get 2 points, like a light warjack.

Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

I think its a better idea the award points on complexity and scale of model. Whats your guys opinions?
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Complexity gets screwy with odd models that most aren't familiar with.
I think a simpler system is better.
What about 1 point per piece?
"Easy to assemble" model is 3 pieces? Three points.
18 pieces on the Big mek? 18 points.
I think there should be a standard rule, like anything smaller than a... bolter (?) isn't worth points unless it's a conversion.
So, no point for gluing a grenade pouch to a Space Marine... But, if you're going a full-on weapon swap, trimming off a gun that's modeled on, and replacing it with another gun/weapon? Sure. Why not.
That would make extensive conversions worth a lot of points, too... which they should be.

Again, just spit-balling. Not married to any of my ideas.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Um... Riptide is 108 pieces.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Even the WK is 114.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

WK?

akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

Yeah, im not seeing that per piece working. Keep the old rules, models must have more than 4 separate pieces (including base) to count for points and be done with it
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

akum wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:08 pm
Yeah, im not seeing that per piece working. Keep the old rules, models must have more than 4 separate pieces (including base) to count for points and be done with it
So what about 'rebasing' models?
I think last year some one rebased a bunch of models and got points; even if they were partial points, for doing so.
That would be the same as building single or few piece models.

Irish1983 ( 276 )
Resident Trader

Post by Irish1983 »

Just have models with less than 4 parts be worth 1 point.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”