Am I that old....

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Re: Am I that old....

Post by jul »

So....i played eldars in 2nd edition, lots of Aspect Warriors supported by jet bikes. i played them until early 3rd when i turned to rhino-rushing Death Guards.

Play-wise, i had only one game against the new codex and i tabled them in 3 turns, but at the other player defense, we were testing units and i played Tau...

On dex, it's a nice book, not so much major changes overall but it's a dex where all units are useful as long as your plan take into consideration how they support each others, even the Hemlock Wraithfighter can be deadly if played properly (like massive pinning tests).
One thing i like also is that any builds will work well. Full Jet bikes is possible, foot-dar with an avatar is good too, Serpent Spams seems to be the favorite of WAAC people...etc...
the only unit i feel is not that good is the Vyper, as you can find things in the book that will do a better job for less point (war walkers)

The Iyanden book is actually mostly fluff, there's 2 pages of rules:
-Wraithlord and wraithkinght can be your Warlord but keep their heavy support spot.
-Spiritseer can form a seer council (1-5 per HQ slot)
-the Iyanden psychic powers highly improve the wrath guards

i'm saying that the Wraith army is uber power but it's playable and offer a decent challenge to everyone.

i've been quite happy with recent releases from GW, as all of them since Tau offer an internal balance. All units are interesting and at the end, the player has a real choice that makes 2 different lists perfectly viable. Note that i don't do tourneys anymore and i'm looking at it as a player.
The Nightwing is still the best flyer around...

with the release of Escalation and the pdf by FW earlier today, i'm getting tempted by a Cobra and a Lynx with pulsar and scatter laser...

J
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
kturock wrote:at least they're not in it for the poultry.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=130947
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Thanks. Ive been seriously considering restarting Eldar. Im not sure what kind of army. Lots of possibilities. I could remake my old army. Try Iyanden. Or just vanilla Eldar.
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

Really anything is possible.
Right now, i'm tending with Iyanden-Corsairs. the Corsair Prince giving deep strike to 3 units, it can be extremely harmful with wraith guards. Furthermore, the Corsair troups are really good, like 10 bs 4 guardians with 2 fusion guns, 2 missile launcher and jetpacks (giving relentless) good.

If only FW would update the list any time soon....

J
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

I wish they would make another Eldar Avatar. Not much you can do to it. A plastic kit you could customize would be awesome. That one has been around forever. And the FW model is too $$$$.
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

At some point, all metal models will go plastic, when is the question.
the jet bikes needs also a major update, they're almost 20 years now.

Finecast things are slowly phasing out so with a bit of a chance, next update of the codex (5 years) should we see a new Avatar.

J.
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

I thought the LOTR Sauron figure might be a cool avatar if painted appropriately. Perhaps it can even be converted. A search of alternate eldar avatars revealed nothing.
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

have you tried to look at the new Cauldron of Blood model?
but its price is similar to the FW avatar....

J
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

jul wrote:have you tried to look at the new Cauldron of Blood model?
but its price is similar to the FW avatar....

J
I havent seen it. But what you said about the price is scaring me.
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Just looked. Cool! Maybe someone made the Bloodwrack and I can buy the avatar bit they dont need. I wonder of it could work.
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

Its closer in size to the metal/finecast Avatar. However it would be perfect in an eldar army with dark eldar allies.
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

Happy new year!

time for a state of the union

40k: got a game around Xmas time with the Tau against Eldars, was a good game and ended in a draw. Unfortunately, the Tau army stayed in Montreal as my mate wanted a better army than GK for an upcoming tourney.
So now, i got Iyanden almost assembled and the army looks fine so far (as previously posted. i expect to play a couple of games with them around May if i got time. I don't see myself getting more models than i already have for this army.

i played the missions for Dark Vengeance with my son. He enjoyed it and was interested in painting the Chaos side of it. might be a good father/son quality time this year to do with him... if he can dropped Pokemon and Minecraft, that's be fine too....(have you tried to understand Pokemon TGC? it's beyond my patience)

and that be all for 40k, as the current releases are not that great and my energy is turned to another system.

30k: After thinking of selling the Iron Hands for a while, decision has been made to finish the army. Currently being at 2500 pts, i'm quite happy with the full drop pod idea. what i lack currently is an opponent to play on a regular basis. true that i haven't search that well, i might put a post later about that. My Montreal teammates are jumping the boat so i know i will have at least 2 players back there but that means also no more than 3-4 games a year.

As for my army list:
-Preator
-Command Squad in Drop Pod
-20 Tacticals in a Storm Eagle
-10 Breachers in Drop Pod
-10 Support Tactical flamers in Drop Pod
-10 Seekers combi-meltas in Drop Pod
-2 Contemptors in Lucius Drop Pod
-1 dreadnought in Lucius Drop Pod

the addition to it will be:
-a Fire Raptor
-2 Deathstorms Drop Pops
-Ferrus
-Immortals
- FW confirmed me also that the Gorgon Terminators are going to be made at some point, potentially this year, so they'll be an addition to the army.

After reading the rules for the Kharybdis, i might be tempted to get one and increase the Breacher Squad to 20.

One thing i started also last december is Mechanicus.
Currently having only the Magos and 3 thallax, i planned on getting more models for that army. 1000 pts first and then we'll see from there.

Still have Sons of Horus in the plan, currently staying at 1000 pts and it's probably going to stay that way.

Got Angron also recently, it's a really nice models and it might be one of the few that is going to be painted this year...

Talking about painting, i'm planning on experiencing my new airbrush on a DKok Centaur. Being a big fan of Mig Jimenez, i'll be trying his products and techniques on that model.

Infinity: Still in love with the game, i have yet to finish the assembly of some of the models. the plan here is to get a Aragato strike force (300 pts), i played a couple of times in 2013 and really enjoyed it. so it's a keeper.

Robotech RPG tactics:...still waiting..... so far the prototypes shown are good but still waiting....

Gaming Table: used to have one years ago, maybe it's the time to get one done. As my time is really short, i think i'd rather organize a few games at home than running around in stores. For that, the target is 4x4 to start with. the realm of battle from FW are quite nice, and could even potentially be used for other games. I started to accumulate GW scenery lately, then next time i do a FW order, i'll get a first panel.

X-Wing: that one game i want to try...any advise on that one?

the rest: i still got 3 Macross models from Bandai that need attention, mid February, a co-worker is going to visit her family in Japan and coming back 2 more models i pre-ordered, so for long evening of nothingness, Gunpla is the way to go.

Work....i work a lot and in my field, there is no such thing as a "break" so with the kids, the wife starting traveling more and more, life might interesting this year. Now, kids are old enough that i can get a bit more free time than in the last 10 years meaning more painting and more gaming. Interestingly, i feel i don't need to spend much on models beside a couple of beauties here and there (Character Series from FW, Boot Leg Series from Corvus Belli),
so the master plan is:
1/get some Iron Hands done (currently 40% of the army is painted, most of it is assembled)
2/ get more games, meaning meeting new players (30k players around here?)
3/get a table

so i wish you all a nice 2014 with a lot of fun in it.

Cheers

J.
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

i'm not dead, i promise, just overworked...
without going into the details, anyone who do biomedical research in an academic can understand how hardcore life can be sometimes (grant, papers, students....stuff that doesn't....)

Anyway, i took a small break from gaming and anything else not directly vital for my family but i'm slowly going back.
while i'm cleaning all the things that are gathering dust currently i started to go back to painting and here is what i've done so far:

not finished yet, but coming along nicely, i hope i can finish it by the end of the month and start more marines.

until then

cheers

J.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

There's a guy who comes into the local GW store who works at Scripps, the new biomed facility. He's doing research on a new cancer drug.
He games once a week and paints a couple days a week.
I guess he's better at time management than you. :-) j/k.
He's single and doesn't have kids.
Seriously though. Can you comment on what you're working on?
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

beside the Imperial Knight, Iron Hands, Ad Mech and a secret project....:)
I'm in a neuro department and more specifically neuronal regeneration in the central nervous system. we're looking mostly at injuries characterization and strategies to promote regeneration after injury. we use different models to promote recovery after injury but the main three targets i work on is locomotion, sensory and bladder functions.
that's without going into the details...
of course, add 2 kids and a wife that works in the same department and you just killed most of your "free" time...

J.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Ahh..slacker. Got it. ;-)
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777

Return to “Creative Endeavors”