Am I that old....

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Re: Am I that old....

Post by jul »

9 fire warriors are enough to deal loads of rolls at 1500pts, there's no point really to pump the squads to 12 models each.

and 8 Tacticals, because everything is ones or zeros...;)

j
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
kturock wrote:at least they're not in it for the poultry.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=130947
spatrickhope ( 10 )
New Trader

Post by spatrickhope »

beautiful postings. Makes me want to pull my biker squats out and give them another go at painting them.
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

spatrickhope wrote:beautiful postings. Makes me want to pull my biker squats out and give them another go at painting them.
Most of my Squats ended up in the hands of vintage_phreak in Norway. I still have this guy, though:

jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

funny the middle tarantula is mounted with ork cannons.... ;)

Thanks for the nice comments.

i'll be back soon with 2 new army lists...;)

J
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

Back with some army lists.

first one is a Tau list for tournament at 1850 pts.

HQ:
-Cadre Fireblade
-Ethereal

Troop:
-10 Fire Warriors
-10 Fire Warriors
-8 Fire Warriors, Devilfish, disruption pod
-7 Fire Warriors, Devilfish, disruption pod
-10 Kroots, sniper rounds, 1 kroot hound

Elite:
-XV104 Riptide, twin-linked fusion blaser, Ion Accelerator, Early Warning Override
-XV104 Riptide, twin-linked fusion blaser, Ion Accelerator, Early Warning Override

Fast Attack:
-6 Pathfinders
-6 Pathfinders
-2 Piranhas, fusion blaters

Heavy Support:
-Sky Ray, Twin-linked smart missile system, disruption pod
-2 XV88 Broadside, High Yield Missile System, Early Warning Override, 4 missiles drones
-Hammerhead Gunship, Twin-linked smart missile system, disruption pod

Fortifications:
-Aegis Defense Line, Quad Gun Emplacement

The idea behind:
-the fire base: 20 FW, the ethereal, the fire blade and 6 pathfinders behind the Aegis. the fire blade is handling the quad gun (split fire, bs5)

-Anti-AV 12+: 2 piranhas, hammerhead, riptides
-Anti-AV 10-11: Broadside, skyray, hammerhead, riptides
-Anti-Horde: FW's, braodsides, riptides
-Anti-MEQ: broadsides, riptides hammerhead
-Anti-MC: kroots, riptides
-Anti-Air: quad gun, skyway
-objectives grabber: 5 troop choices, 3 mobiles

-the fire base: 20 FW, the ethereal, the fire blade and 6 pathfinders behind the Aegis. the fire blade is handling the quad gun (split fire, bs5). That will be the center element, it's quite impossible to survive a frontal assault due to supporting fire and the aegis and the ethereal power give them a nice protection. in objective missions, the firebase will be placed close to an objective.

the 2 piranhas go after AV-13-14, speed will be the key element early on.
the hammerhead and broadsides are tasked by destroying transports in the first turn, so the riptides can lit up the passengers right after.

the kroots go hunting MC with the help of 6 pathfinders (looking for +1 BS, no cover save)
the 2 devilfishes go flank protection of the firebase and late objectives grabbers,

Riptides can be played aggressively with deep striking in enemy range and do as much damage as possible.

Overall, feel confident to deal with pretty much anything, flyers might be a problem but with 6 units with Interceptor, it should not be that complicated (beside 4 hell drakes...)

Comments welcome on that.

on the other side, still thinking about beating the low-count models at 1500 pts with Iyanden, and playing around the idea of 2 Storm Eagles and 1 Fire Raptor in 1850 pts SM list...

Cheers

J
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

I don't think you need to DS the Riptides. They have a 72" so can hit most things, with JSJ, you could be in you opponents deployment zone on turn 2-3. And if you DS with them you loose at the minimum a turn of shooting. Playing Tau competitivly this past year, that Alpha strike is key, the long range on the RT have been very helpful with that.

The hammer head has been hit or miss with me. I might drop it in favour of a 3rd Broadside with target lock. You already have the Riptide's S9 Nova charge and the piranha's fusion guns for the high AV stuff, even then the mass amount of S7 the broadsides can put out can glance any AV13 to death.
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

same for the hammerhead, i was not that amazed compared to what he used to be and the Longstrike tax is quite huge...

the other option would be to replace the hammerhead and scrap sone points and put R'vanna instead...

this is the first line i wrote with 2 riptides, but i agree with you and the range and the importance of alpha strike. the only time i played it deep striking and he actually showed up there was stuff left on the table to kill, he did an impressive job.

j
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

I would make the points for a R'vanna, 2 if possible.....
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

2 R'vanna are point sink a bit... but one is the way to go instead of the hammerhead, nobody wants to deal against 3 riptides...
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

Holiday Seasons means i'm taking a new army for end of year game.

between Tau, Iron Hands, Ultras, Imeperial Fists and Eldar, the Iyanden won the draw.

So after reading the dex over and over, trying to play with so few models might be tricky but adding meat shields denatures the essence of the army.

here we go

HQ:

Spiritseer
-The WraithForge Stone

Basic cheap HQ that will buff the Warlord and cast the much needed Twilight on the walking wraith guard units.

Spiritseer

Again, as a back-up for Twilight casting and also to spirit mark 2 units a turn, that should be enough to get rid off anything annoying.

Troop

10 Wraithguards

back bone of objective holder, also the threat range is increase with Twilight (move, run, shoot) so anything 18 inches from them get killed.

10 Dire Avengers

fluff meat shield able also to shoot stuff decently, not with the same effect of the wraith guards but against hordes army, it adds some fire power in mid range.

5 Wraithguards:
-D-scythes
-Wave Serpent
-Shuriken cannons
-Holo Fields

the Assassin Squad, if i need a unit to be removed, it gets spirit marked and those guys do the job. it is particularly useful against pesky units behind Aegis Defense Lines or any kind of covers. Anyone who wants to assault them needs to think about 5D3 Str4 Ap2 hits before.

5 Wraithblades

because i wanted to try them, i know 5 isn't that great but supporting the Dire Avengers might be a decent role for them.

Fast Attack:

Crimsom Hunter

First, i wish i had a Nightwing, cheaper, better. maybe soon. then i need something to get the fight to the air, it won't get a medal against massive flyers armies but it might offer some opposition for a turn or two. also adds 2 bright lances and a pulse laser against armor.

Heavy Support:

Wraithkinght:
-Warlord

denying the warlord point, main role is to destroy armor, MC's and the like, attracting fire as well. the wraith forge stone will help keeping him alive.

WraithLord
-2 bright lances
-2 flamers

the tank killer

Wraithlord:
-2 star cannons
-2 flamers
-ghostsword

the terminator killer

1850 pts

right now it is the best i can get for that point level, i could tweak it a bit. the main goal will be the destroy any thing capable to hurt the wraith constructs, after that going for the missions objectives. Twillight is really a nice power to give much needed mobility to the army. the Spiritseers are cheap enough and will fulfill the support role they intended to.

i was considering replacing the D-scythes unit by another wraith cannons unit but i think i need that ability to remove cover saves and do more than 5 shots with an aggressive unit like that. they really need to overkill their target to be efficient.

the Dire Avengers and the Wraithblades will go together, either running for objectives or playing a more defensive role. i could throw here the terminator killer wraith lord in support

the 10 wraith guards, 1 spirit seer and the second wraith lord will go in the same group and going forward, the will form my secondary threat group (the first being the wraithknight. they should be able to sustain fire will advancing either toward objectives or target.

the Wraithknight will destroy in priority artillery and anything to hurt the wraithguards, being a jumping monstrous creature and the heavy wraith cannon being 36 of range, no point on the table should unreachable, deep strike could is not really an option as i have so few models on the table.

In his tank hunter role, it's supported by a wraith lord with bright lances and the crimson hunter.

so here it is...

C&C welsome

J
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I just inputted your list into Army Builder and only come up with 1825. Could you put he total for each unit, without the specifics, to not violate GW's policy?
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

i think it's fair as long as you don't put individual point costs, but that might have been changed...

i'm rerunning AB to see if i miss something, otherwise the good old excel sheet...;)

J
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

you can pm me the file, since I have AB.

Or I can pm you mine.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

i arrived at 1845....

i'm using the Iyanden supplement rules with the version 1.33 of the 40k file.

i'm sending you the file

J
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Since you brought up Eldar......

I love the Eldar. They were my first 40k army. Mainly Alaitoc or "generic" Eldar. I used the special Ranger Alaitoc Craftworld list once in awhile.

I had a lot of success with a foot Eldar army , no vehicles, no Farseer. Heavy on Guardians, platforms, Reapers, Hawks , Scorpions & the Avatar.

Ahhh.....enough reminiscing....

What are your thoughts on the new Eldar Codex?
What about the seperate Iyanden Codex?
Im sad there are two books. I wonder of other Craftworlds will get the same treatment. Or is it only because of the neat new figures? ( Wraithblades, Wraithknights, etc.)

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”