GW Land Raider Headlamps... a journey.

Modeling, Painting, Converting, Terrain, etc

Moderator: Moderators

teamzissouintern ( 60 )
BTown Regular

GW Land Raider Headlamps... a journey.

Post by teamzissouintern »

So I am usually pretty apt to replace or somehow modify things to make models work when parts have inevitably been lost or "disappeared" from items I buy used online.

However, that being said, I recently got a Land Raider and have had a heck of a time finding something to replace the missing headlamp assemblies. As known by most who've had to build Land Raiders, the light assembly is an inset piece that falls under the integrated rim that is part of the chassis shell. I am looking for ideas on how to modify the LR to either remove the light assemblies altogether or to find a good proxy light that fulfills the same role.

Anybody have any ideas or personal experiences with this situation? If so, I'd love to hear and see your solutions.

Thanks, BT!
"Kill them with kindness... or guns."
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: GW Land Raider Headlamps... a journey.

Post by MagickalMemories »

Well...you could insert a piece of plasticard, filling in any remaining gaps with greenstuff.
That would be pretty simple.

Once you have a flat surface, you should be able to use any number of headlight type pieces to replace them. You could use anything from IG Searchlights to Rhino headlights to aftermarket bits.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
teamzissouintern ( 60 )
BTown Regular

Post by teamzissouintern »

Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered just plasticarding the surface flat first, and I had seemingly become hung up on something that "inserted" in a similar way that I was "missing the forest for the trees". I'll likely go this route.
"Kill them with kindness... or guns."
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Presuming the model is already assembled, I have a suggestion on how to do it, too, if you're interested.

If not, just ignore what follows. LOL

Cut a length of plasticard that's longer than the height of the opening. Put glue (plastic glue, IMO, for the superior hold) at the top and bottom of the piece, on the flat side that faces upwards.
Insert this piece at an angle into the hole (you should be able to do this if you have a decent pair of modeling tweezers. Heck, you could probably do the next part just by tying string around it (especially if you cut or file little grooves for the string to fit into, so it doesn't slide around). Once you have overlap above and below the hole, pull it upwards. This will fuse the plasticard with the interior of the hull.

GIVE IT PLENTY OF TIME TO DRY.

Once dried, this will make a nice surface for you to glue your inserts to, so you don't have to rely on a perfect fit & adhering them to the sides of the hole.

All that being said, if the model IS assembled, you could still do this. It would be easier, though, as you could do it directly from the underside of the unassembled model. LOL

Let us know how it goes? I'd love to see pics!

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
gwaddict ( 664 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by gwaddict »

You could always just mold a replacement with greenstuff?
Rules
1. I do my best to communicate & ship in a timely matter & expect the same
2. If you or I back out of a trade expect the other to post so in the b/o forum etc, if thats not okay then I am not your man to trade with
3. An offer of "$25" for an item does not include s&h if you are not okay with actual shipping charges from the USPS on top of that then say "$25 incl s&h".. simple enough..
4. Please be polite, leave feedback
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Lots of knowledge around here... I would go with plasticard and a block of green stuff inside the plasticard shell (make sure it is the right dimensions for insertion before you do anything else - the plasticard and greenstuff block - just keep removing or adding green stuff until you get it the exact shape and size - keep the green stuff wet at this stage)... then start to let it harden but keep that face you want the light in wet (you want the block of green stuff not to be changing size with light pressure before you start to put the light in)... then searchlight off of the rhino or maybe even the dreadnought cut down to the circle... or really anything small and circular (two circles one smaller than the other would be great on top of each other) inserted into the block after it has mostly hardened (just remember to keep that one surface you intend to insert the light into a little moist). maybe then a little green stuff (maybe liquid) or a well done thick glue job to the seams of plasticard if they aren't perfect... I think I would actually use green stuff and just carve it carefully once it was hard but not really hard into rounding or slight angle at the external join areas of plasticard...

Use green stuff (though good lord don't pay for GWs)... I wouldn't use miliput for this... I like that product but it can be a pain to handle and messy if you don't use it regularly.

My 2 cents.

Return to “Creative Endeavors”