Golden Demon Gamesday opinion poll

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

wookieegunner ( 66 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Golden Demon Gamesday opinion poll

Post by wookieegunner »

Ironhide wrote:Rule change in 1989.

See: http://www.nytimes.com/1989/04/08/sport ... ayers.html

And this is a perfect example about the muddying of waters that trying to seperate the painters could run into. Several countries previously had "amateur" contenders who were soldiers in their military whose duties included practicing multiple hours a day. Since they weren't being paid to be an athlete (officially their pay was being a soldier) they counted as an amature even though some actually practiced more than professional athletes in the same sports.
By trading with me you agree that all signature based trade rules are not in force. If it isn't in the PM thread then it doesn't apply.
voodoopainter ( 732 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by voodoopainter »

It is possible for a hobbyist to compete in the Demons (and more frequent than you might think...) I am not a pro painter although I occasionally take a commission here and there. I competed back in the late 90s early 2000s and won 11 Demons, although I never won the sword. What "burned my britches" was when they opened the competition to previous Slayer Sword winners. Seemed like after they did this the same 2 or 3 people always won and it took the fun out of competing for me. Heck, you had people running the circuit and hitting 3-4 Demon competitions a year... I always enjoyed competing against the local talent and plan on competing again, but it's different than the "good old days". Man, I really am getting old...
JohnHwangBT ( 180 )
Millenium Trader

Post by JohnHwangBT »

GMMStudios wrote:Professionals don't tend to enter GDs because it isn't really worth the time or effort.
It's not a bad publicity stunt, when you think about it...
Feedback as "JohnHwangBT" on Bartertown

Any Negatives or Neutrals? *You* ship first, regardless of rating!
bhouze ( 44 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by bhouze »

I don't know. If I had 11 GDs up on the old shelf that in itself would be one heck of a resume' . To any perspective client if I was a pro painter. It would certainly put things into perspective right quick. I also wish I could paint for the hours at a time I used to. But without a trip to the chiropractor for a neck adjustment I'll have to settle for and hour or two here and there. When did I start getting so damn old.

B Houze

"Why did that paint scheme look so much better last night when I had all those beers ?"
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

If I had 11 GDs up on the old shelf that in itself would be one heck of a resume'
If I had that many, I'd be working for either GW or PP in their Art Department. Or some miniature company. At least that way I'd be getting paid with benefits, and not having to do the huge amount of work pro army painters have to do.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
nightshade_eyes ( 142 )
Resident Trader

Post by nightshade_eyes »

I don't see what the big deal is. If a person enters a mini they modeled and painted, it's a fair entry.

I believe the OP is basically crying about having to compete with top tier talent (don't BS us on this). If you can't win a demon against them, well too bad. What a person does for living is irrelevant to the Golden Demon competition so a person being a pro painter should not be barred from competition. Learn to paint.

Really, stupid thread IMO.

EDIT: to open a can of worms...
Ever notice that some Demon competitions have less impressive winners. There have been threads on other boards moaning that such lower quality entries were not worthy of a Demon most notably in regards in to the first place winners. An Atlanta GD was the subject of such a thread a few years ago. People felt that no Golden Demon should been awarded in some categories at that Atlanta GD but still have Silver and Bronze Demons awarded. Some of the categories didn't have entries that I would deem worthy of a Golden Demon. But the way the system works is top three get the Demons so three Demons were awarded (fair enough).

Question to bhouze, so say it is fair to ban certain individuals from competition, would it also be fair to not award first place Demons for painting categories that do not have an impressive entry. Hell, what if all the entries suck..no awards at?
bhouze ( 44 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by bhouze »

I never said ban.
I feel that those of you out there supplementing your income with painting should all compete in the same forum/category.
GW is willing to give out 3 GDs to youngbloods and I really don't see any of them having their own painting site. So they are willing to give out GDs to those with less practice, just not any over the age of 16....
I feel that pro painters should compete against one another and the non-pro stellar painters in the slayer sword category.
There's nothing wrong with recognizing talent. It's another thing to have all the hapless competing against them. All to often I walk the length of the table looking in on minis that I feel have no place being behind the glass at all.
nightshade_eyes ( 142 )
Resident Trader

Post by nightshade_eyes »

bhouze wrote:I never said ban.
I feel that those of you out there supplementing your income with painting should all compete in the same forum/category.
GW is willing to give out 3 GDs to youngbloods and I really don't see any of them having their own painting site. So they are willing to give out GDs to those with less practice, just not any over the age of 16....
I feel that pro painters should compete against one another and the non-pro stellar painters in the slayer sword category.
There's nothing wrong with recognizing talent. It's another thing to have all the hapless competing against them. All to often I walk the length of the table looking in on minis that I feel have no place being behind the glass at all.
So you want categories / tiers opened for people with less talent but then comment on walking the entry display table only to see minis that do not belong there (basically, they suck). See a problem with that? Opening a tier for less talented people will only result lower quality entries and overall lousy categories.

The Golden Demons are fine the way they are although a bit more consistency in judging is always welcome. My advice, again, practice / paint more, cry less.
govannon ( 116 )
Resident Trader

Post by govannon »

nightshade_eyes wrote:paint more, cry less.
:lol:
If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my underwear!

Buy, sell or trade....it's all the same to me. Lower refs pays/ships first!

Tyrants can not be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent.
bhouze ( 44 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by bhouze »

A two hour drive each way to gamesday is really not worth the wait all day for a glorified paperweight, much like those HOH trophies if you do nothing with it.
I suppose if you left it by the door the Jehovahs might not come by....

HMMMM....
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

When they first started the Golden Daemons you got store credit. Not it's all about the prestige and a nice sword if you're good enough.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

nightshade_eyes wrote:paint more, cry less.
Or, if you're feeling especially dedicated, paint until you cry and then keep painting through the tears. You can even use the tears to water down your paints! Although the saline does tend to cause the paint to behave a little differently...
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

bhouze wrote:A two hour drive each way to gamesday is really not worth the wait all day for a glorified paperweight, much like those HOH trophies if you do nothing with it.
I suppose if you left it by the door the Jehovahs might not come by....

HMMMM....

I have always wanted a GD because to me it is more of a "I finally made it" feeling.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I want one so I can make copies illegally and sell them online.

Whoops.
Did I just say that out loud?
:wink:

Seriously, though... I'm with meenie.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

I have always wanted a GD because to me it is more of a "I finally made it" feeling.
I think being one of the top 10 artists on coolminiornot would be even better.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”