Introduction: Hello and Thanks for having me

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

Castle ( 0 )
New Trader

Introduction: Hello and Thanks for having me

Post by Castle »

Being as I am new here it is only right that I introduce myself and we become acquainted.

About six months ago I saw an Age of Sigmar start collecting box set and thought to myself " Damn, those models are pretty awesome."

Before this I had been buying D&D miniatures and collecting them because of how cool some of them were and for possible game nights.

But the Warhammer models offered the next step that I didn't even realize I was interested in; Building and painting models and miniatures. Sure there are some D&D miniatures that are epic in their own right, no doubt about it. But the warhammer Lore and designs were just too amazing to pass up and right up my alley for sure.

So here I am six months later, with a new model/lore addiction, and a room in my house partially converted into a home hobby station.

The next logical step to further this addiction , I mean love for the hobby, was to join a forum or two of likeminded people.
That is how I ended up here.

About me:
I have a family and home on the east coast. I am an artist by trade and a full time family man and father.

I suppose I am getting old because a fun night anymore for me that doesnt include the family is building (and painting) models with an audiobook or music on . Or {at the moment} reading the Horus Heresy lore books.

I am a fairly simple guy, family, work, and a little hobbying.
Thanks again for having me as a member of the forum. I am confident that it will be a positive experience for sure.
Be like water over rocks.
Flowing over and around obstacles. Even the roughest stones edge cutting deep into the water will become smooth and yield given enough time.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Introduction: Hello and Thanks for having me

Post by kturock »

Welcome.

You might want to add either East Coast of where, since this is an international foum.
OR what state.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I don't know of anyone but us Americans who use the term "East Coast." That said, I did his activation. It's the US.
(Perks of Administration, I guess... one of the few. LOL)

So, Castle... I don't get as much hobby time as I used to, but I used to tune into Audiobooks while "hobbying," as well.
Now, I just get them in when I can (mostly during my 90is minute [total] daily commute). Old kturock here has been known to listen to some, himself!

What kind of audiobooks to you tend to lean towards? Any favorites?

Eric

Oh, and Welcome to Bartertown!!!!!!!!!!!
(Be sure to read the rules. We take them seriously here.)
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Castle ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Castle »

Morning everyone,
Yup east coast of the United states . Dang! You busted out the online CSI gloves and backtracked my Ip to my hidden lair location. Not bad. not bad. lol jk

Good point, I should have kept in mind not everyone would understand the east coast reference. I was born and raised in Philadelphia, but moved out of there a while ago w the family. At the risk of sounding old and betraying my age , the area I grew up in went to hell and it was no place to raise a family.

Audiobooks, perfect for my hour commute as well. I started off with good old Logan Ninefingers in the blade itself trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. From what I saw online, my book preference leans towards high fantasy. The malazan army book set is one of the best imo.

Honestly, All.the made up names and places become a slight blur after marathoning trilogy after trilogy after series , to a certain extent.

Steven Erickson is awesome for sure.

But then at times I will want to listen to something possibly informative or a podcast. I have been listening to a few 40k audiobooks this last month. So far the ones I heard that were top recommendations online didnt disappoint. The talon of horus and black legion both were enjoyable to me.

I am self employed and at times work very very long days, as many here can probably relate. And honestly, audiobooks and podcasts and spotify are lifesavers during that 9th inning stretch.

I read the rules last night, most seem fairly straightforward. I'll make sure to double check any that seem specific to a forum or sub forum like advertising or wanted ads etc
Flowing over and around obstacles. Even the roughest stones edge cutting deep into the water will become smooth and yield given enough time.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Have you listened to the Spellmonger series by Terry Mancour?
They're read by John Lee. If you know anything about his narration, you know how freaking awesome he is.

I devoured every book that's been released. They're so good, I've even gotten my wife to listen (she likes the GoT and Dresden audiobooks, as well, and I knew she'd like these). She's devouring them, too.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Castle ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Castle »

Hey,
Apologies for the delayed response, the summer is coming up fast and its quickly becoming my busy season for tattooing.

First real day off today and I just spent hours trying to resurrect my riding mower from the dead for this years lawn season. shes not looking too good lol. I may have to old yella' her, man I'm showing my age with that reference.

I didnt listen to that series but I'll for sure put them on my to do list.
I'm excited to hear this voice actors narration. you made him sound legitimately awesome .

between us, shhhhh it's a secret, between you me and the potentially millions of lurkers over the next decade, I have splurged HEAVILY this last month on warhammer related miniatures and books. books books and more books!

omg finding warhammer late is great because hey I can go on week long marathons if books, but it sucks because a normally 80 dollar book now coats me anywhere from 100 to 500 dollars.

I am 4 books away from fully collecting the horus heresy primarch limited edition series. well, up to date until they release the next book.

I'm going to post on the classifieds and see if anyone is selling any of the books I am looking for.

I hope you're having a great day man. You've been super receptive to me. I appreciate it
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Your "busy season for tattooing?" Well, either you're an artist, or you have a very ODD sense of when to get your tats.
LOL
I'll go with the former.

As for the Spellmonger book series: Do you have an Audible account? If you DO, you should check them out and listen to some samples.
If you DO NOT... PM me your email address. I can send you your first book free, if you're a new member. I'll send you the first one (warning: it's an addictive series).

If you don't find those LE books here, they're probably on feebay.

As for being receptive? Well, that's what you'll mostly find here. Those of us who have been around a while -and even some newer members who just found the site to be the kind of place they were looking for- tend to be kind of tight-knit. But, we're still welcoming to anyone "new" who wants to join our super-special club.
BT's been around since 1996. We survived the worst of the worst, where every forum you went on was just a bunch of people looking to troll each other, harass people, and get into ITG fights. Those were things that we simply never allowed here. For the most part, we were always a bulwark against that crap. We still have our share of pr!cks here, just like real life, but we tend to be an overall friendly place.

Ericc

Castle ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Castle »

Holy crap It took me way longer to get back here than I expected. MM I am a tattoo artist , good deduction. Although the collector mental image was pretty darn good too . lol

A lot has happened since my last posting here. Tattooing is a little slower at the moment because of most people dealing with the back to school season. The disposable income usually gets soaked up by the extra expenses incurred. I know my fiance and I felt the pinch this year for sure. Totally worth it but it definitely crushes the "disposable income"most use for hobbies etc.

I have accumulated a pretty heavy collection of models and books. And most importantly have really enjoyed the lore. I am excited to actually have time to paint some models. It should take a bit to get good but isnt that half the fun? Countless hours late night messing up an eyeball pupil making a space marine accidentally googly eyed lol

I am going to listen to the spellmonger series as soon as I finish the book I am into now. I totally forgot you suggested it. It's on my "to do" list .

MM you mentioned being involved in WH for a long time now . Since the 90s? What are your thoughts on all the new offshoots and games and model lines etc. Sometimes its hard for me to keep up with everything while playing catch up . One thing at a time I know I know, but I wonder how you see it .

Each time I think I have the Gist of everything, I find something random online via Google or random clicking. Today's new find was "armorcast" models or a similar spelling. Man models have come a long way lol. But it's awesome to get a glimpse of the history and what played the foundation for today.

Thanks again for having me. Hopefully I can make a little time to be more active here.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

MM you mentioned being involved in WH for a long time now . Since the 90s? What are your thoughts on all the new offshoots and games and model lines etc. Sometimes its hard for me to keep up with everything while playing catch up . One thing at a time I know I know, but I wonder how you see it .
I was actually referring to the site having been around since 1996. I've actually only been playing GW games since around 2001 or so. Frankly, they're not my favorite. I'm an old school RPG player (I cut my teeth on the original D&D and 1st ed AD&D). Pen and paper RPG will always be my first love.

But my opinion on the offshoots of the game? I love it. For the first time in a LONG time, GW is finally giving the players what they want; we're getting board games, RPGs, card games, Munchkin and Monopoly games with the GW brands, video games and (hopefully) a freaking TV show!
I'm really disappointed by 8e, though. Rules-wise, it's actually my favorite of all the 40k editions I've played. Unfortunately, though, in their effort to sell models, what they did with that rule set made it cumbersome and too involved for me. I'm a CASUAL "throw together a list" gamer, and you have ZERO chances of winning most games when that's the case. With the min-maxing that's SO easy in this edition, people are combining the best of the best from 2 or 3 codices in beat-down lists that my "this looks like fun" lists just get SLAUGHTERED against. I don't mind losing, but not even having a SHOT at winning and spending the whole game watching your opponents tweaked, points-maximized list just annihilate your fun little collection of units is absolutely no fun for me.

Eric

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”