Packages stolen from porch :(

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

LAWwaldo ( 58 )
Journeyman Trader

Packages stolen from porch :(

Post by LAWwaldo »

I've been trading like a madman lately. Tons of trades here and on other sites. Saturday I had some packages delivered but I wouldn't be home until Sunday morning to collect them. This has never been a problem. Except this time.

I now lost out on an entire Shadespire collection and then another $150 worth of Spacemarines. Losing out on Shadespire sucks because I was really eager to paint those models as well as play the game. I just don't want to spend $ buying it. Of course, whoever stole the package probably dumped it in the trash once they realized what was inside.

I've never had anything stolen before and it sucks. It is a very strange sort of violation because all I can do now is think of the different things I could have done to prevent this. Of course, I've never had to do it before during all these years and it's upsetting that now I have to change my ways.
"Life is tough; it's even tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Packages stolen from porch :(

Post by MagickalMemories »

Man. That sucks SO BAD.
I think it's one of a trader's worst nightmares.

My suggestions for what you can do for this issue:
1) Call the cops.
2) Talk to your neighbors. Make sure they know you called the cops (CASUALLY mention it). Ask if they noticed anyone approach your door who normally wouldn't, etc. You might be surprised what some neighbors notice, but don't think about until you ask.

For the future:
Sad to say, but we're hitting an age where security is a necessity. Trust in strangers is almost totally eroded.
Invest in a security system.
I have an Arlo HD system with 4 cameras. They cover the perimeter of my house (Front door, back door, basement door and driveway). The front door camera covers the entire porch, and anyone trying to take packages will be seen on it.

Have you contacted the USPS about it? I don't know if theft is covered by insurance, if they were sent Priority or were insured. Also, if the postman noticed anything odd that day, he'll likely remember. You might be able to get the Postmaster/Inspectors involved.
Also, if anyone else in your neighborhood is complaining about missing packages, it's good to get your name "on the list" of people to keep in mind (this is re: Cops AND USPS).

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
LAWwaldo ( 58 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by LAWwaldo »

Yeah, one package was sent via Priority so I'm trying to see if I can collect on insurance for that. In the future I think I'm just going to have packages delivered to my work. I haven't filed the police report but I think I will later today. A relative mentioned that you can use the loss as a tax write off.
"Life is tough; it's even tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Contact usps and file a stolen mail complaint at the address in my sig line.
You won't be able to get the insurance, because the items were delivered.

You can always go online or call your local post office, and ask to have your mail held for a day to a week. Then it will be redelivered.
If packages were stolen, check to make sure sure that no other mail, like bills or anything with your personal info; were stolen.

It's the number 2 way of Identity theft.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

LAWwaldo wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:39 pm
In the future I think I'm just going to have packages delivered to my work.
If this is an option do this.

Also look into picking up the items at the local UPS or USPS office. Yes it means you have to go get them but the chances of something getting jacked are reduced.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
Doctari ( 504 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

Get a ring doorbell, make sure your mailman knows where to deliver the packages. As soon as the ring goes off check it. People will back away the second you say "WHAT THE *edit* ARE YOU DOING ON MY PORCH".

Alternative: Move to the country. Neighbors are grossly overrated anyway.
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

LAW, I'm wondering if you talked to the mail carrier and/or neighbors to see if they noticed anything out of the ordinary, or if the cops had any other reports.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
BobMcCoy ( 8 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by BobMcCoy »

Doctari wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:57 am
Get a ring doorbell, make sure your mailman knows where to deliver the packages. As soon as the ring goes off check it. People will back away the second you say "WHAT THE *edit* ARE YOU DOING ON MY PORCH".

Alternative: Move to the country. Neighbors are grossly overrated anyway.
Or get a shotgun and some large pitbulls ;)

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”