Barter is dead?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

Lochlannon ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Barter is dead?

Post by Lochlannon »

My participation in trading/selling comes and goes but lately I have had a number of occurrences where an individual asks how much do I want? I explain my reasoning and my prices and they say no. That's it. No counter no barter no nothing? Uhh what happened to the "barter" part? Have I missed a change in the paradigm? It hasn't been just here either. I've always thought well if we can reach a middle ground I'm usually good, but there seems to be a glut of people who just don't wiggle at all. Any thoughts?
Wild West Exodus
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Barter is dead?

Post by pretre »

Lochlannon wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:21 pm
My participation in trading/selling comes and goes but lately I have had a number of occurrences where an individual asks how much do I want? I explain my reasoning and my prices and they say no. That's it. No counter no barter no nothing? Uhh what happened to the "barter" part? Have I missed a change in the paradigm? It hasn't been just here either. I've always thought well if we can reach a middle ground I'm usually good, but there seems to be a glut of people who just don't wiggle at all. Any thoughts?
Did you make a second offer? A lot of folks just assume that your price is your price and stick to that.

I do a lot of haggling with folks all the time and someone needs to take that first step. :)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
Lochlannon ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Lochlannon »

Oh yes. I never give up :).
Wild West Exodus
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

You're thinking of "haggling."
Not trying to be a grammar-Nazi here. It's actually an important distinction.
Haggling CAN be a part of bartering, but isn't always. A barter is just an exchange of something for something else. Even a purchase is a barter, of sorts.

I'm with Pretre, though. A lot of people just think that's your price, and so-be-it.
My guess would put you somewhere over 30 (probably over 35) years old. While you see it in every age group, the idea of haggling seems... GONE... in younger people. Just gone.

I think part if what might be scaring them off is your reasoning. If you give me a price and tell me why you think it's worth that much, it's going to make you sound MORE set in stone. Maybe next time, don't explain the reasoning on your first message? If there are multiple things they're asking about, include a line like, "Those prices are as individual lots. The more of those lots you're interested, the more fluid my prices can be." That's something I do a lot.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Doctari ( 504 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

Another possible reason is your asking price is too high. I generally won't bother coming back if someone is more than 20% or so higher than what I think the item is worth (based on other trade sites, finished ebay auctions, and the fact that pretty much everyone can get at least 30% off NIB stuff at this point).

Honestly there are a lot of options for buying minis these days and dealing with the laborious task of haggling back and forth when it doesn't seem likely that the person will come down to a reasonable level is kinda tiresome at this point.

And a lot of people view a really high asking price as the seller trying to get over on the buyer. You can look at several posts that seem to have been up for months. Just getting reposted and reposted as others do a brisk business in moving items. The ones that keep being reposted are asking ridiculous prices (usually for in print stuff) or super premium of "rare oop originals".

Anyway.. so yeah. I guess in a way haggling is kind of dead. It's a lot like magic cards, there are more than enough resources available for you to determine what the value of something is, there's no reason to try and deal with someone who wants 2 or 3x the going rate (not that that is necessarily what you're doing, just an example).
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'm doing my part to keep barterting and haggling alive.
My 10 year old daughter has started showing an interest in 40K and painting.
Took her to a gaming flea market this weekend and gave her $20. I gave her advice on what to look for and assured her that (a) I wouldn't let her buy anything dumb or (b) overpay. I made sure she knew she had to to the talking and haggling. I only got veto power. : )

She loved it, even though she was nervous as HELL. LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Gaming flea market/garage sales are the best.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
BobMcCoy ( 8 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by BobMcCoy »

I rather like the haggling bit. I find as much enjoyment in it as I do playing games these days. I do a few shows a year where I set up flea market tables. I always end up bringing more home than I left with.
What gets me is on Ebay where it has the best offer button. You make an offer and its auto-declined until you offer the buy it now price. Whats the point?
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

BobMcCoy wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:45 am
I rather like the haggling bit. I find as much enjoyment in it as I do playing games these days. I do a few shows a year where I set up flea market tables. I always end up bringing more home than I left with.
What gets me is on Ebay where it has the best offer button. You make an offer and its auto-declined until you offer the buy it now price. Whats the point?
I use the Best Offer button when I post on ebay. There's a silly setting that says 'decline below X amount' and 'accept above x amount'. I don't use it because it's too much of a pain to set up, but that's what is happening there.

When I set best offers, I will manually decline/accept all the offers and occasionally even offer reasons why.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”