Bartertown UK or Equivalent?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

MachinaMandala ( 0 )
New Trader

Bartertown UK or Equivalent?

Post by MachinaMandala »

I'm wondering if there are any big trading sites similar to Bartertown for the UK / Europe?
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: Bartertown UK or Equivalent?

Post by 3eland »

There used to be a Bartertown UK. It was managed by a different team and although it was called Bartertown, it had nothing to do with this site.

However, it one day magically disappeared and from my understanding the staff went POOF and no one could reach any of them.

Since then, I have not heard of anything similar, which is why *most* people come here from the UK or join the many Facebook groups.

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

Not too scare you away from Bartertown but Dakka has a lot of traders and sellers in the UK. They have a nice feature on their trade adds that allow the poster to say 'US ONLY','UK' or whatever.

Night be worth a look.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

You can always post UK only and make sure you have UK in you location.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

MachinaMandala wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:40 pm
I'm wondering if there are any big trading sites similar to Bartertown for the UK / Europe?
All above are valid statements.
Honestly, BT just happens be US-centric. We have more Americans than anything else. Canadianese seem to be second.
We do have UK traders, but they're more scarce.
Still, though, you'll find plenty of North Americanese who are willing to trade across the pond if you are.

There are probably more UK traders on Dakka, though. I'm unaware of any sites that are specific to the UK any more, but you might try Facebook trade groups specific to your locale (just handle these with care!).

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
GGG ( 0 )
BTown Regular

Post by GGG »

As a UK trader, i find bartertown tricky to use because there is no way to filter the search results. Its not possible to search for "UK" ads in the search function (too few characters!). After currency conversion costs and shipping costs are factored in, really left looking for bargain priced sales threads just to get a square deal and its very time consuming to go through all the listings you'd like to trade on, then calculate additional costs.

would there be any chance of setting up a UK/EU subforum? It would really open up website to us europeans.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

A subforum is unlikely enough that we might as well assume not. One of the problems BTUK had was a lack of membership. Not a lot was posted there because not a lot of Europeans joined. Overall, membership outside of North America is a relatively small portion of BT memberships and posts, with the overwhelming majority being the Continental US.

Some sort of function might be available, though, where the person's IP is detected and displays their IP location by country. From there, a search function to sort by that information might be possible.

I'll throw the idea at the Technomage and see what's up.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”