Recommended source for casting materials?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

redCORTEX ( 14 )
Trade Novice

Recommended source for casting materials?

Post by redCORTEX »

Looking to try my hand at casting including mold making. Anyone have a source to recommend for quality, reasonably prices supplies?
warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Recommended source for casting materials?

Post by warlordgarou »

I use mainly Alumilite ([Admin Edit: Do Not Link To Non-Advertisers, please... Ironically]) - in no small part because they are located within 20 miles of me, which makes reordering a breeze. I know some people who swear by Smooth-On ([Admin Edit: Do Not Link To Non-Advertisers, please... Ironically]). Either are good - basically, just make sure you read the material specs for the rubber and the resin; especially things like pot life for the resin and tear strength for the rubber.
Kodoth ( 30 )
New Trader

Post by Kodoth »

I have used both.

I like smooth on XLS a little better seems to hold up longer than the alumilte molds. But I have some alumilite molds that are 12 years old and they still work.
Gadzooks ( 264 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Gadzooks »

To make decent things reliably you will need a pressure and vacuum pot - And a compressor/c02 tank to pressurize the pot, and a vacuum pump for the vac chamber

Use quality ingredients, so smooth on mold rubbers - We use dragon skin 10 for all of our molds and smooth cast 305 for all of our pigmented resin - both of them combined with ease release mold spray will get you longer mold life and thus more casts out of each mold so you dont have to pour new molds all of the time

Without the pressure pot, and depending on the model the vacuum chamber you will get sub par results - Which is fine for hobby, but if you want actual results that look good and are not a lot of work to make you will need to invest in the equipment for it
If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I Ship out of NJ USA
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

That's a good point, what quality are you shooting for? Fun side project for you or your group, or garage business, or what?
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
redCORTEX ( 14 )
Trade Novice

Post by redCORTEX »

Mostly hobbying and for my group. Although who knows, if I end up with decent product..

I think I'll start with higher quality depending on cost so I don't have to upgrade.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

I'd recommend you play around with plaster and latex a bit before making a big investment: I've done a bit and realized that it's much harder to make worthwhile designs than it looks, and know I'd have regretted putting in for even a home made pressure kit/resin.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”