Anyone want to join a Bartertown Secret Santa?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Anyone want to join a Bartertown Secret Santa?

Post by ssapper »

Hello Bartertown,

Anyone interested in putting there name in a hat with me and us doing a secret Santa? I think its a way we can take some of our excess/extra/where did that come from/what was I thinking/never going to use, and un clutter our stash and send it to someone else and maybe end up with something different that sparks a bit of imagination?

I am thinking since most hobbies are expensive to begin with that a $40-$50 dollar value, shipped away and returned might be a fair medium ground. Whos interested?

Perhaps only limit it to 40k?

The obvious risk is someone not participating and just reaping the rewards....to midigate that we can establish a standard ref amount to participate?
Or would the admins maybe allow us to work it as a trade and therefore feedback would be awarded based on completing the secret santa or taking advantage of the season of giving?

Any thoughts, or am I way off in left field?
Last edited by ssapper on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Anyone want to run a Bartertown Secret Santa?

Post by akum »

probably a bit late to start at this point
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Re: Anyone want to run a Bartertown Secret Santa?

Post by ssapper »

Why is it to late? Priority mail still has a 3-5 day turn around.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: Anyone want to join a Bartertown Secret Santa?

Post by 3eland »

You can just that entire Tyranids lot you posted to me Ssapper. It's all good.

I've been working 16 hour days so I am not in the right state of mind to comment on this, other than that you can send me your bugs for xmas wha ha ha.

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Send*

You can send. Yes, that's it.
~Ryan~

HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

Start it the day after Halloween next year with all the logistics worked out, and I'll participate.
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

Owed feedback: evaunit117
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

Problem is we never remember until mid December. And what logistics? Please help the group by expanding on that and maybe we can work up something in better detail for next year. Thanks for your input!
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

Who will collect names, how will they be distributed, what is the dollar amount, how should they be shipped, can we get it stickied, what kinds of minis, will we be allowed to put up suggestions of what we like, can we white elephant what we got in the thread, etc. Etc. Etc.
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

So... if I was running it, here's what I would do:

November 1, everyone's name gets written down and put in a hat. My wife would draw the names assigning them to a premade list, and use my account to send out each person's giftee. She would delete the message that told my gifter that they got me. Or perhaps just create her own account for the purpose so I don't accidentally find out. I would set a $50 limit with a $20 minimum. That would be retail. I would encourage people to get others used minis in trade or by PayPal, since this is Bartertown. I would have each person participating list up to three games they play and what army(ies) they play and, if they want, one game they're interested in trying and one army for an existing game they're interested in. The minis or game should be sent by December first by any method that will ensure delivery by December 23rd.

Upon reciept each person posts what they got, their thanks, and their guess as to who their Secret Santa was. If they get it correctly they receive a 10% discount on their bartertown plus membership for the next year. Anyone found cheating would get banned for a month. Of course, this would require mod and admin sanction.

At the end when everyone has made their guess we will reveal the true Secret Santas, and after the 10% offs were awarded we'd all drink heavily fortified egg nogg and give each other good trade refrences. And then peace on earth and good will towards men and all that.

HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

Actually, what with return addresses and all, a fair number of people could figure it out. I guess I'm just brainstorming.

ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

I like a lot of what HawtFist stated, such as having a form of sorts, simple document, with name address, and a few blocks to mark what hobbies you are interested in. I agree with the $50 dollar max, but not with the $20 minimum, I would keep it at 40-50 that $10 dollar wiggle room can be your shipping. Requiring more work out of an already busy admin team is not what I intended. I am curious if they would sanction feedback from such an event. I think we can run it as a thread, and you will have to post your willingness to participate publicly there, and then be assigned a secret santa once xx amount sign up. And exchange info from there. A percent off of Bartertown plus is actually counterproductive to supporting bartertown, and well again, not trying to tax the staff of Btown to support us. They already have their hands full. The whole secret part to this secret santa, is not necessarily the sender, its the item (s) received. I would also run it myself so as not to tie in a third person, let alone put liability on my spouse if she did something wrong, or someone backs out. But I do think we need an admin to weigh in with what left and right limits bartertown is willing to enforce and or support if we are going to attempt to include feedback and or how the rules of bartertown come into play with the event.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Feedback, I feel, would be a no. Too easy to take advantage of for alternative motives. It's like the sending of free models for feedback. It's happened, and it has rarely seen a great end result.

Question though: What about us in Canada or other parts of the world? Shipping is expensive, dollar value is different, ship times/delay, customs, etc. If you take out your neighbours in this, then it isn't really fair. "Bartertown Secret Santa for US only" doesn't ring the same jolly holiday bell lol.

You would need to approach Lin with your idea. I see a potentially fun thing but I also see a lot that could go wrong.

My local GW is doing this, and everything is controlled by the staff, so I do have some ideas that could make this great. But again, it would need to be sanctioned by the top dogs.

Ryan
~Ryan~

ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

I have similar concerns. But I think establishing feedback brackets for those involved and locations, can deter some.
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

If you ran it you wouldn't get to partita tell though, right snapper? That's the thing about not being able to hand someone a folded slip of paper yeah?

ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

I am ok not participating, just being able to coordinate such a feast is reward enough for me.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”