Would you start over if you had to?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Would you start over if you had to?

Post by imp522 »

Lets say you found yourself without your hobby collection,

Would you start over?
What if anything would you do differently?

Just curious as I find myself in this position and debate what I want to do differently
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: Would you start over if you had to?

Post by 3eland »

I have started over a few times. Which is funny because I am at a moment in life again where I am debating if I want to continue my dedication and suck up the direction my hobby is going or if I should call it quits and start with something else I find enjoyable.

If I was found in that spot now? I wouldn't start over. I just don't have as much fun any more to be honest. I find myself struggling to go to games just because I get so bored or annoyed. I have been having more fun lately playing board/card games!
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I've found that the fun is from the group, not the game.
I've left and came back to GW a few times.
I've just joined a local board game group.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Post by warlordgarou »

With the games I play now? Absolutely. I actually enjoy playing what I play now (though that may be because I have spent close to 3 years doing demos and running events instead of actually playing). I am hoping that a couple of the systems for which I am painting now I will enjoy, but I am also not so deep into them that I will be upset if I bail on them in six months.

What I would hope to do, if I was starting over again, is avoid wasting months or years on a system that I hated, playing it only because no one would play anything else, or because I was unwilling to cut my losses and trade it for something I would much rather play, even if it meant losing most of what I had put into it.
leth ( 352 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by leth »

Probably not, however that 100% has to do with the life stage I am at. Jut about to get on the job market, hope to get married soon (another thanks B-town, buying my *edit* made it so I could get her the ring), kids ASAP(want to get established, loans paid off as soon as we can). While I LOVE it, I dont think I could just jump back into it(Unless I got the money from whatever caused it to disappear)
USA

My prices/trades are just estimates, I do not know the going rate. If you want to know sooner, send me a offer.

Just started my painting blog. To keep myself painting mostly
Doctari ( 504 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

re: leth Kids + "Loans paid off as soon as possible" =/= :P

I've quit and come back to the hobby multiple times. Actually the last was about 3 years ago. But I'm in one of those unique situations where me and the wife have good jobs, we neither have nor want kids, the house is going to be paid off in 6 years and we'll be debt free (I sound like an infomercial...) so getting into and out of hobbies isn't that much of a road block for me.

To be blunt the game doesn't even feel as expensive as it did back in the "good ol' days". I mean with the internet and the starter army stuff you can be playing for 200 bucks, I drop twice that on a game console every couple of years. So I guess I'd say, "Yeah" I'd get back in if I had to start from the ground up. I might choose some different armies though...
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

kturock wrote:I've found that the fun is from the group, not the game.
Agreed to a degree.

I have a lot of fun with my group no matter what we play. But there are times I get so frustrated with the rules of one army fighting another army that it impacts my fun. Wether it's gw or another universe.

AoS actually has annoyed me more lately than it first did. To the point that I just sold all my fantasy stuff. Only gw army I have left is my Sisters.

We have branched into other games though like infinity and malifaux and really enjoy them. That and it's so cheap to collect a warband/army.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
whatsnext ( 38 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by whatsnext »

3eland wrote:
kturock wrote:I've found that the fun is from the group, not the game.
Agreed to a degree.

I have a lot of fun with my group no matter what we play. But there are times I get so frustrated with the rules of one army fighting another army that it impacts my fun. Wether it's gw or another universe.

AoS actually has annoyed me more lately than it first did. To the point that I just sold all my fantasy stuff. Only gw army I have left is my Sisters.

We have branched into other games though like infinity and malifaux and really enjoy them. That and it's so cheap to collect a warband/army.
My take is, it is more the people you play with. Why? B/c actually having people to play with is better than Solitare or single-player options for existing games. Having the luxury of multiple people, who play multiple games often, is exactly that -a luxury. Boy, oh boy would I love to get flustered at someone using cheese or just finding out the rules are ----.

As for the question: Yes. I have already started over mutiple times. What changed is: Not getting rid of stuff I like for other stuff I think I'll like. Hold what you've got. Unless you really don't want it, that is. Coming back to something you like after 'quiting it' and having to start over is sour crow I'll not eat again.

I regret getting rid of stuff for the sake of Saving Money. I find saving money only cost you more, some-way-some-how

My thing isn't really the money, it's more the feeling of stupid. The money lost more shows -blatantly and accurately- the meter for how stupid.

Cool kits are a thing I like, the game is secondary. Any game you play will wear thin after you get use to it. Same with video games. Fallout 4 was a step in the right direction, but I traded that game before I played it to where I'd start complaining. I've lived long enough to understand:Nothing is perfect. Enjoy it and move on. If you do enjoy something more than average/long term, don't take it for granted.
>:-O (.)(.) \(^O^)/ ⑨ ☢CAUTION!!☢
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

Yeah, I would. Every time I get out, I regret it. I can't say why, really, I just know this makes me happy.
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

Owed feedback: evaunit117
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Yes. But, I'd stick to only small scale games, not many, and stick to a small number of sets within them.

I think the return on both quantity and variety are weak.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
XxHiveMindxX ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by XxHiveMindxX »

I dont know if id completely start over. Ive done so much work and such to get my armies where they are after 12 years or so! Dont get me wrong i enjoy it but i dont think i could start over again :(
Necrons 4000
Salamanders 3000
Orks 6000+
Tyranids 2500
Eldar 2500
Vampire counts 3500
Dez ( 220 )
Resident Trader

Post by Dez »

I would. I think I'd go small, and really put my all into building/painting instead of rushing to put an army on the table. This could be simplified by going with games I enjoy, like Malifaux. I'd probably still do a GW army, I think I'd go 30K this time though. I'm actually making a list of what to purge now.
Easy guidelines for trading with me:

The trader with the lower rating will need to ship first.
Delivery confirmation for both parties required. I will always send the delivery confirmation number to the receiving party, and I appreciate when the same is done for me.
Don't be a jerk or treat me like one.
Thanks!

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”