Newest Star Wars movie - like/dislike debate (SPOILERS!!!)

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Newest Star Wars movie...dont waste your money.

Post by starslayer »

Come on....group hug?
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

No serious Star Wars fan can come away from VII thinking that it was great.

The structural problems simply cannot overcome; I was prepared for a lot of things when I went to the movie, and I enjoyed a lot of it--but at the very least I was expecting an original story.

I wouldn't tell people not to see it, because some parts are VERY good, and the overall tone and feel is perfect Star Wars, in contrast to the nonsense of the prequels.

But this is not a great SW movie.

For people with no stake in the franchise, who've never really watched SW--I think those people will think it's great, and for good reasons. But those reasons, regrettably, are what diminishes it for an actual fan.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

I went in thinking we were going to get phantom menace part 2. Basically expecting garbage. On purpose really, high expectations are no good.

1. I was entertained
2. I laughed....A lot.
3. it had great energy
4. I teared up a bit during "that" scene

There were some things that I didnt like as much (shoehorned in explanation covo between PL and HS, Rey being a bit too badass, KR being a bit too emo), but over all I had a lot of fun. I dont even mind some of the rehashing of plot lines. It was comfortable like a big warm blanket.

Im in the loved it category, but I could see how it could disappoint others. This thread kind of hurt my heart a bit, so I wanted to inject a little more positivity.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Interesting assessment, sorrow- I've realized that I really hold capturing the tone in high regard in adaptation, well above faith to the story (Lynch's adaptation of Dune is my favorite example of a weird chopped up story that manages to feel perfectly like the book's world), so getting the tone right is a big first step in my book, but bad stories can still ruin any amount of good acting and production values for me...

So, are you saying it's a bad story, or is it just not faithful to the stories that precede it? (I'm not sure there's a huge difference in this context, just curious about your last paragraph.)

Akum, thanks for a more reasoned explanation of why someone liked it. A little odd how you and sorrow had opposite views re: fans of other SW.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Off topic:
Calm the Hell down. Play nice. You can disagree, even vehemently, and not be @ssholes to each other.

On topic:
I'm a SW fan, but not Fanboy. At 44 years old, I grew up on it, too.
I enjoyed it thoroughly. to me, it was a good -but not great- movie. Are there plot holes? Yes. Does the plot mimic Episode 4? In part, sure. Are they a big deal? Only if you're of the "superfan" type. In my experience, the bigger the "Star Wars fan" you are, the more likely you are to dislike it, be disappointed in it and/or disgusted by it.

The acting was good, but not great. The special effects were spectacular.

Unlike many, I happen to think Kylo Ren (am I even spelling it right? LOL) was well done as a bad guy, considering where he is in his development as a Force user and his supposed age (young).
IMO, it's a stupid damned name for a villain, though. LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Newest Star Wars movie - like/dislike debate (SPOILERS!!

Post by spiralingcadaver »

I thought I backed down?

Either way, I'm interested on the repetition of superfans beware. I'm not a huge fan- I grew up on the original trilogy, have had my fair share of nerdly discussions on them (along with everything else), disliked the prequels though no longer care enough about the franchise to be angry about them- I'd call myself a fan, but most of my contact with SW comes from playing x-wing and trying to guess where my wife's copy of Empire Strikes Back went. However, I've got a high standard for stories not being stupid- is that going to be enough of a barrier?
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
CaGeRit ( 2 )
New Trader

Post by CaGeRit »

It's not that the story is bad it's that it's so close to A New Hope that it verges on being reboot, but it's not. When the stories are that close the only thing that sets the film apart from A New Hope are the actors and the writing IMHO the actors were mediocre at best. Rey in particular was wooden. If you look at the stills of her scenes you either have trouble determine the emotion she is trying to convey or just want to look away from the cringy overacting.
The writing isn't terrible, but it's not doing the production any favors. Kylo Ren can't fill Vader's boots and Rey felt too good at everything with little to no explanation. Luke's character flaws and weaknesses led to his development as a character in the original trilogy. I can't see Rey making the same journey without them.
In the end it's an enjoyable flick, but nothing special. I don't think it's possible to make a successor to the original trilogy. Once a franchise goes big like that there's no saving it. No one wants to risk profits to make something original with the IP. Especially after the prequel disasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usernamesareannoying ( 254 )
Expert Trader

Post by usernamesareannoying »

I think that we could possibly be suffering from partialstoryitis. For some reason i was able to look past all of reys instant jedi knowledge. It wasn't until I started reading websites and reviews that I said hey, wait a second. I've never claimed to be the most movie savvy person though :-D
I have a real hope that some of the questions will be answered in the upcoming movies.
Maybe Rey is a survivor of Luke's school and just had a jedi mind trick used on her to forget? That would explain a ton including her knowledge of the falcon. Maybe Han knew her. It would explain him being so eager to bring her aboard too.
I look forward to the next movies and getting stuff answered.
*notes about trading with me…
I do not like drawn out deals. Id like to have a deal signed and complete within 48 hours.
I abide by the unwritten rules… lower rating ships first pays first.
I always provide delivery confirmation and expect the same.
All deals are US only.
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

Well since the cat is out the bag. Here's what I think is going to happen in the next set of movies. Seeing how the stories are SOOO the same.

Luke had went into exile like Yoda did.
Han and Leia had twins and they were separated to protect them from the weird Over Lord guy. Just like Luke and Leia were separated to protect them from Darth Vader
Hence Rey and Kylo, That's why Kylo. ie, Ben Solo(AKA Marilyn Manson :) ) didn't tear her mind apart. And actually carried her too. He knows who she is.

Also I have a hard time believing that after all these years being friends that Han NEVER fired Chewies crossbow!!! WTF???

Also if you ever read the stories of how Han became who he was and friends with Chewie. Same way the New hero of the story Fin became. Han was a trainee pilot for the Empire and saw Wookies being miss treated. Saved Chewie and his family from the Empire, So Chewie now has several Life depts to Han for it.
Just like Fin left for the Bad things he saw. He just saved Rey instead.

It looks like they kind of incorporated parts of the 3 books after Return of the Jedi. Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising , and the last one I cant remember. Admiral Thrawn Was the main bad guy. And He had Blue Skin. And this recent Bad Guy Leader, looked like he was blueish. And Leia was pregnant for twins in the books.

I'm hoping the NEXT movie is better, Just Like Empire Strikes Back was the better of the first 3.
I just hope they don't start making stupid lil creatures armies to help defeat the empire again. Can you say EWOKS???
The Empire conquered countless star systems, then gets beat by a race of large primitive walking hamsters??? WOW.
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Spoiler
Show
You guys can use spoiler tags you know
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

So I was able to get a sitter for my kid and the wife and I went to see
Image .
My Image .
Was it movies 456??
No it wasn’t. 456 are such classics and held in such high regards by fans and critics that it will be hard to top them.
Was it better than 123??
Yes. Then again…It didn’t take much to top 123.
Image could tell you that.

I really liked the subtle hints to the older movies. Blink and you miss them.
I do not like how some things were tweaked. They are noticeable.
The link of someone has 3 different angles (that I came up with) and the shocker was a shocker.
Plot could have been different and not a blend of old.
Time will truly tell where this movie ranks but I am happy I spent $12 to see it.

Jason
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
sgtventris ( 54 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by sgtventris »

It was enjoyable but no more so than any other Disney mass produced action flick. I dont think that it lived up to the title. Despite all of the their flaws, at least the Prequels were original and each greatly expanded the lexicon and universe. I cant help but think "Disney scrapped all of the expanded universe and replaced it with this?". However, its true value will be based on what happens with the next two (or dozen based on Disney's track record with new IPs). There are some intriguing questions...so we will see.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

I loved every minute of it. I'm a big Star Wars fan, grew up on it, IV was the first movie I ever saw on VHS (which was new when I was a kid).

Just my thoughts. I will say I went in with low expectations though. I-III broke my heart, so I was hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

You guys know the guy who played Kylo Ren was enlisted USMC? Kind of cool.
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

Owed feedback: evaunit117
Haight ( 422 )
Intarweb Batman

Post by Haight »

Big Star wars fan, though i dislike most EU stuff personally. Thrawn saga is good, and the short story novel has some great stuff in it, most of the rest i find kinda "meh".

I enjoyed TFA. A lot. There are some holes, some flaws here and there, but most movies have those. I think it was a nice combination of introducing the new kids on the block, closing the chapter as it were on 456, giving closure to 123 to those that needed it, and bringing the franchise in a very new and cool direction. Sure, were there aspects that mirrored IV ? Yup! Did i mind ? Not one iota.

I have really only two complaints: Snoke is a bit too Palpatine-y for me, and there was not enough Poe Dameron. Need Moar Poe. ;)
My Rules:

1) I accept paypal. Offers good for 24 hours.

2) My "$$ XYZ shipped" lot costs are only valid for continental United States. HI/AK and international shipping costs will be born by buyer. This will be reiterated in PM.

3) I only ship on Saturdays.

4) Trades: lower rating sends first. Sales: buyer pays first.

5) Don't waste either of our time, Read the Whole Ad.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”