The Death of Fantasy? (or what to do with my minis)

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

The Death of Fantasy? (or what to do with my minis)

Post by bluemeenie »

Ok, so I have read numerous amounts of posts over the last 2 or 3 weeks on what Warhammer Fantasy is going to look like and I guess the point of those posts is, it's not going to look like Warhammer Fantasy.

What with all models now heading to circle bases and a 40k unit formation that starts to remind me of the Barbarion Hoards from Warhammer Ancients, if it pans out I really do not feel like rebasing 500 Skaven and 600 goblin Orc models (not to mention buying all those friggen bases....)

That off the top assumes that Orcs and Skaven will even be armies in the new books since it looks like Britonians, Tomb Kings, Dwarves and Lizardmen are all technically just footnotes.

So if the rumors are correct and this is the future of the game, and not just the initial skirmish version with real Fantasy rules to come...does this mean that all of us die-hard fantasy players are stuck with hundreds of now useless models whose prices will IMO drastically plummet here and on a Fee-bay?

If it is the case....who here would even go all in on this new game when it does come out if the only way you can play is by either re-purchasing all brand new mini's and entire armies or if even possible trying to highly convert your current models (if they even have an army) to fit the new mantra!! (for example my understanding is that Sigmar forces - or really any human being model in the old warhammer world will not use gun-powder in any way....so what to do with all of those pistols, muskets, cannon and volley guns..)

I'll give it until July 4th to see the real damage but I have the nagging feeling that I might have missed the boat off loading all of my minis about a year ago...

Thoughts?
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: The Death of Fantasy? (or what to do with my minis)

Post by akum »

There is always kings of war. Better system to boot!
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Fantasy demand has been down for some time due to the scuttlebutt about drastic new edition changes.

It's a gamble right now, if GW's bid is a success or not, and how compatible the minis are with the new line.

If you're in it for the game and your collection, I expect no one worth playing will give objection to using old bases, same way that there's been no uproar about the new larger Marine bases.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Wait a few weeks and then make a decision.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

If your in a group, chances are no one would mind playing an older version. If this Fantasy tanks, hopefull GW removes head from butt and fixes it quick with another version. IE 40k 6 to 7 in 2 years....
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
bruenor ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by bruenor »

The managers and trade reps are undergoing training for Age of Sigmar this week; the gist of what's been broadcast so far is that Age of Sigmar =/= WHFB 9th, it's an entirely different beast, and that all current model-lines are good to go in AoS. Past that, we'll have to wait until the training is done and pre-orders go live.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

I'd heard that it was some sort of new iteration of WHFB, which either includes or entirely consists of a more restrictive format, which may or may not be replacing it.

IDK, there's a lot of stuff flying around.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

Doctari ( 506 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

Different doesn't mean worse. Wargamers are the most the-sky-is-fallingest bunch on the planet. I'd at least try a game of it before you decide to offload your minis and the fact of the matter is there will never be a time for which armies are in more demand then when a new system comes out and it is the flavor of the month.
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Having facts would serve you better than the speculation online.
Has anyone here read the 'leaked' 7th ed 40k rules? How much different were they from the actual rules? Alot.

The change to round bases is a return to previous editions of fantasy. Skirmishers used to come on round bases. They never used to form up into ranks in HtH.
The rules changed and the bases changed.
Now it's returning to a previous version.

Magic has changed in every edition.

Since Empire and Chaos Warriors are being returned to GW; that means they will be the 2 armies in the new box set. The local GW store manager was told to send back all the books already and to hold certain models for return to be repacked into the new boxes.
He was told not everything he pulled would be sent back. Not every army was pulled.

If the newest rules come out and you don't like them and you have a group of players willing to play the old rules; then do so. No one is forcing you to switch.

There are people all around the world playing OOP games and systems. You can be one of them if you like; just remember, it's a game and play the version that's most fun to you.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

I've never been a fan of the "no one is forcing you to switch" mentality- if you have a tight-knight small group that won't be divided over editions, sure. Otherwise, more likely than not, you won't be able to get a pick-up game and almost certainly won't have a competitive scene and therefore won't be able to play, well, with much of anyone.
-Nietzsche

imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

I like Fantasy Warriors, YMMV :twisted:
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I sold all my armies except Daemons (when I first heard of this back and forth rumour mongering of what Fantasy was going to turn into). Which I am basing for 40k any way.

So when the time comes I can then see exactly what the new Age thing is and go from there. If it supports the large, traditional fantasy games I am used to then I will pick up an army again, if not then I have Daemons on round!

I never really finish painting armies so I did not have that much invested into the armies I had. However I can see the argument if you fully painted, based and even converted an army.

I really hope it gets a skirmish feel, but I hope it has options for either. So skirmish games or full fledged games.

Either way, wait for the actual release. Nothing is confirmed until then. Even some of the new SM codex rumours from people with the codex leaked wrong information online the week before the book was actually released lol.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Hodgi ( 2 )
New Trader

Post by Hodgi »

I have a group of people that I play with we all intend to stick with the current edition however I do plan on getting some AoS codex's(sp) to see what's up

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”