Relevance

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

Steampunk ( 38 )
BTown Regular

Relevance

Post by Steampunk »

I'm truly not trying to start a flame war here, but are people still trading on this site like before? Maybe I've had a run of just bad luck or uninteresting requests, but it doesn't seem like as much action is going on around here lately. Has the scene dried up? Am I reading too much into it?
themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Re: Relevance

Post by themailedfist »

Define "like before" ?

I do more buying and selling on here than trading, but I still find many things that I want, so that makes Bartertown Relevant to me.

--Robert
hapotte ( 514 )
Millenium Trader

Post by hapotte »

I guess it's all relative on what you have and what you want. you'll probably have better luck trading 40k for Warmachine rather than Seven year wars army for some Relic Knights. ;)

Selling can also be though when you don't want to lose what you paid for. With the pletora of online store offering various discount on models often with free shipping, you need to price your models with that in mind.
info about shipping: Lower ratting pays/ship first and I live in Canada.
thank you
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Steampunk wrote:I'm truly not trying to start a flame war here, but are people still trading on this site like before? Maybe I've had a run of just bad luck or uninteresting requests, but it doesn't seem like as much action is going on around here lately. Has the scene dried up? Am I reading too much into it?
I don't see anything flame-worthy there.

Your question is kind of ambiguous. The answer is both, a Yes and a No.
We're seeing MORE deals done here every year. As our member base increases, so does the amount of transactions. We ARE seeing a higher proportion of people ONLY looking to sell, as opposed to trade.
When I first started BTown, I don't think I ever saw an ad looking to sell items. I only remember ever seeing straight trades. As time went on, people started adding cash in as something they'd accept, then it because the only acceptable item for some.
We're still seeing more TRADES than ever but, proportionally, there are more people only looking to sell than before.

If you're not having any luck, I'd call that an anomaly. A lot gets done here.
I don't get a lot of trades myself, either. That's mostly because there just aren't a lot of people who have what I want. My needs are pretty specialized at the moment.

No flame intended here, either... maybe it's you? Are you asking too much for your items? Offering too little for theirs? Are your "Wants" and/or "Haves" obscure or unpopular items? All of these things make a difference.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Post by themailedfist »

Another thing to consider...
'
In my years here I have seen that very few people on Bartertown care about "pro-painted" or even "well painted." Most of the time they regard that as a negative because it means they need to strip whatever they get from you because it's not the way they wanted it to look, or just that they don't want anyone else's paintjobs in their collection.

So....

If you want to move painted models on Bartertown, oftentimes know that your perceived value of the paintjob is probably directly opposed to the perceived value of the buyer/trader. In my personal experience, painted stuff moves better on Ebay.

--Robert
DoggNewTrix ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by DoggNewTrix »

It always seems to be feast or famine for myself. I can go months without seeing anyone interested in my trades or be interested in their stuff. Then BAM I ended up with two massive trades of around 600 each. I agree with MM on his lack of trades, no one has what I want and occasionally they do....
Lower rating ships first, pays first, or works out a deal that is mutually acceptable to all persons involved.

Don't like my offer, tell me no... I'm all growed up, I can take it.
All offers are good for 24 hours
Gifting a paypal payment is unwise and I won't do it, neither should you....

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning
MadMadeline ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by MadMadeline »

oh boy! Here's hoping it's a feast time and not a famine time for me to pop back in :)
"Once you've ridden a squiggoth to the grocery store, there is just no going back to your Ford Explorer."

Been a long time since I've done any trading. Looking to seriously downsize my collections.Try finding me under my real name, Madeline McDaniel, or the id that my deceased ex-partner and I used (Inquisitor Al). Any trades involving painted figures were painted exclusively by me, and most of the packing, shipping, etc as well. I'm mentioned specifically in much of the feedback.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

MadMadeline wrote:oh boy! Here's hoping it's a feast time and not a famine time for me to pop back in :)

What do you mean by "pop back in?"

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Steampunk wrote:I'm truly not trying to start a flame war here, but are people still trading on this site like before? Maybe I've had a run of just bad luck or uninteresting requests, but it doesn't seem like as much action is going on around here lately. Has the scene dried up? Am I reading too much into it?
I don't trade models for models, beyond the very rare exception. I do trade my cash-money for other people's figs and whatnot in an ongoing and regular fashion. I have not seen a "dip" in my transaction rate, though as the gaming market changes, different things get offered.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Yeah, I'm not seeing a dip.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

If you're BUYING, you shouldn't see a dip - unless people just aren't offering what you want. I see a huge increase in the # of people looking for money or ONLY looking for money.
As has been said, subjectivity is a big part of it.

Eric

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”