Stranded in Columbus OH

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Stranded in Columbus OH

Post by tordeck »

Long story short during my move/trip to WMW from NY to STL the brakes on my car failed and I was in a minor accident. Took the car to a repair shop to see about getting it fixed and the estimate was double the value of the car as the entire brake line system needed to be replaced. So now I am stuck with most of my belongings and no way to get back to NY nor continue on to STL. If anyone has any advice about what to do or is local and willing to help a guy out with the scoop of where to eat cheap, stay cheap, or hell even get a game in so this isnt a total loss please PM me.

Thanks

Tordeck

EWP - Technically its more correct to say I am stuck in Worthington, not Columbus proper.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Stranded in Columbus OH

Post by MagickalMemories »

So, the good news is that the trip to STL earlier this year was a good one, then?

Porkuslime might have some advice. My memory is horrendous. I THINK he's near Columbus... but I may be wrong. I know he's in Ohio, though.

Unfortunately, man, the best I can offer you are thoughts and prayers. I don't know Jack about the Columbus, OH area.
If only it had broken down AFTER you got to the STL area. Ugh.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I was just thinking... there's always gofundme.com.
You could start a gofundme petition (or whatever they are called) and share it to your FB account and here, in hopes that friends and family can help out with a buck or 2 here and there. You never know.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

Never made it to STL. This was the trip I talked with you about.

Ive been checking the web for cheap cars, if I cant find anything by Monday after noon I have a ride to and a couch to stay for a couple days in Chicago, which at least gets me somewhat closer to STL and maybe I can then find a car there.

The Dark City
mardaddy601 ( 260 )
Expert Trader

Post by mardaddy601 »

You could always go the, "Planes, Trains & Automobiles," route and rent a U-Haul truck one way. Gets you to your destination (or "home") and a more appropriate or convenient place to buy. Plus if there are issues with the cheap car you buy, wouldn't you rather the dealer be close by so you can hold them accountable?
None of these things are VITAL, this is a HOBBY. A hobby we enjoy, but still, a HOBBY.

Lower rating ships or pays 1st, myself included. Used to be more flexible; but was burned in recent months by a few newbies. If 200+ feedback w/no negs and 10+ years member is not enough to be trusted, well, like I said - none of this is VITAL.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

mardaddy601 wrote:You could always go the, "Planes, Trains & Automobiles," route and rent a U-Haul truck one way. Gets you to your destination (or "home") and a more appropriate or convenient place to buy. Plus if there are issues with the cheap car you buy, wouldn't you rather the dealer be close by so you can hold them accountable?
This. I know someone who rents a U-Haul truck for her transportation. It is cheaper for her to rent it than it is to own her own car (payments, insurance).

It's cheaper to get from A to B in a situation like this than to purchase a car.

If you were close to Polar Bear land I'd give ya a couch/ride.

Good luck!

Ryan
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

tordeck wrote:Never made it to STL. This was the trip I talked with you about.

Ive been checking the web for cheap cars, if I cant find anything by Monday after noon I have a ride to and a couch to stay for a couple days in Chicago, which at least gets me somewhat closer to STL and maybe I can then find a car there.
Oh.
I thought you were flying out in advance to give things a look first.
My bad.
mardaddy601 wrote:You could always go the, "Planes, Trains & Automobiles," route and rent a U-Haul truck one way. Gets you to your destination (or "home") and a more appropriate or convenient place to buy. Plus if there are issues with the cheap car you buy, wouldn't you rather the dealer be close by so you can hold them accountable?
They also rent trailers for cars called Tow Dollies. Essentially, it's a little 2 wheel thing that you put your car up on and tow it behind you.

10' truck:
http://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/10ft-Moving ... Rental/TM/
Tow Dolly:
http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Tow-Dolly-Rental/TD/

Eric

tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

Found a car for cheap, yay. Getting back on the road tom

The Dark City
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

There are places and sometimes people, looking for drivers to drive cars cross country. Getting paid to drive is better.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”