Curating a collection

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

ChickenHide ( 28 )
New Trader

Curating a collection

Post by ChickenHide »

Okay. I have a massive collection of gaming stuff. Seriously, what I have boarders on hoarding.

I have multiple armies for almost every miniature game currently in existence and several armies for many games that have long been dead. I have a sizable RPG collection and a respectable library of board games.

I really want to get this down to a more manageable size. I am having trouble deciding which "sacred cow" to slaughter. For those of you have had a collection get out of control, what criteria do you use to determine what to keep?
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Re: Curating a collection

Post by imp522 »

If I haven't done anything with it in a year I tend to get rid of it. I'm in the process of narrowing things down to about 4 main periods. My storage shed is now half empty as I've gotten rid of things.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

I never get rid of anything. I'm preparing it all for my eventual entombment.

Send me a list of what you're selling. :)
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

I have been playing 40k since just before 4th ed came out. My DA collection is heavy. Complete 1st, 3rd companies and about 1/3 of 2nd. My orks could break 8k+ points in stuff last codex. Im behind 1 ork codex and 1 main rule book. I have a small Khador army (20 models and 50 points??). 2 year old kid is taking my time and I dont mind. Models dont hug back.

Orks are getting the axe in a major way. The stuff Im keeping now is enough to fill 1 double GW case and have 5 models in a box top. Thats all Im keeping. Everything else is paypal bait. Too much work to do and not having the codex means bye bye. My DA dont need much. A handful of codex 2013 items to be built and painted and Im done. SInce my Khador is almost nothing Im keeping that. I know the ork stuff Im keeping wont leave me with much of an army to really be compitive but thats not why I play.

My thoughts was what I need to do to get this collection playable. If too much work is needed, bye.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

In my opinion, you need to ask yourself two questions:

1) What of this stuff DO I use or do I EXPECT to use in the next year?
2) What of this stuff is just TOO COOL to get rid of?

Sell everything else.

After a month or three, repeat the 2 questions above.

Continue this process until you are down to a manageable level of crap that you "need."

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Pretty much what MM said.
What games are others playing or willing to play if I provide everything; models and rules?
What games will come back and I already have an enjoyable or sizable force? IE models that I won't have to rebuy at a higher price.

I have several RPGs that I bought just to support the system or maker. Now, looking back at them, I'll probably never play them, so they're up at Ebay or Amazon.
I have a couple minis games that I bought to try the rules and no one else likes the rules, genre or minis or their scale.

No matter how cool the game is, how much I liked the source material; movie or TV show; no matter how well painted the models are, if no one is playing it or will play it in my area; they go up on Ebay.
Also if I have 2-3 or 25 of a model or unit of models and we don't play games that field that many models; it goes up for sale.

Forgeworld models look cool and are $$$, but there are very few players who have the time or interest and I don't have the time to play an Apoc game.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
bhouze ( 44 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by bhouze »

Nothing hurts more than wanting that stuff back that you traded or sold off a year or two ago.
I'm still re-collecting Necromunda figs. I got rid of them all and now want them back. It seems like the easiest game to pull off the shelf and play with someone new. Even though I haven't really played the game in 10+ years...
At the end of the day I wanted to keep games in my collection that played pretty fast and don't get too boring.
I still for the life of me wonder why I bothered with space hulk apart from the killer light/shadow techniques on the terminators paint scheme...
ChickenHide ( 28 )
New Trader

Post by ChickenHide »

MagickalMemories wrote:In my opinion, you need to ask yourself two questions:

1) What of this stuff DO I use or do I EXPECT to use in the next year?
2) What of this stuff is just TOO COOL to get rid of?

Sell everything else.

After a month or three, repeat the 2 questions above.

Continue this process until you are down to a manageable level of crap that you "need."

Eric
It's all too cool to get rid off. That is why I haven't gotten rid of it.
MattHoell ( 100 )
Resident Trader

Post by MattHoell »

I would also add, how much space is it taking up. For instance I rarely get to play Bloodbowl or BFG, but they each only take up a tray or two of foam, so there's no pressing need to get rid of them.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

ChickenHide wrote:It's all too cool to get rid off. That is why I haven't gotten rid of it.

Then it appears we have your answer.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

ChickenHide wrote: It's all too cool to get rid off. That is why I haven't gotten rid of it.
That's where I end up.

But look--if you're serious about downsizing, here's my take.

Place things in a hierarchy.

At the top is the stuff you love, the emotionally resonant stuff, the stuff that brought you to gaming in the first place. This is the stuff you would have buried with you.

Next is the the stuff that's in regular use. Games you enjoy, figs you play with.

Below that is the stuff you really think is awesome, but no one else is that interested in it. But you hold out hope that they will come around, or they used to be into it, and it's just out of the cycle.

At the bottom is the stuff you've never played with, and, honestly, you know you'll never play with. This is the stuff you should shed.

Best of luck on this process--and, seriously, if you need to know it's going to a good home.... :)
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”