D&D grid board help

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

D&D grid board help

Post by 3eland »

Hey Btowners!

So our old Bristol Board grid has finally fallen apart (Bristol board scored with lines and then laminated) and my D&D group (well Rifts group) is looking for a new one. I have seen a lot of do it yourself stuff online but I haven't seen any actual premade mats. Do these exist? If the quality is good I would rather buy a product than build another "home-made" version.

OR

Do you know how to make a rocking board? Let me know!

Thanks!
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
RedSkullz ( 54 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: D&D grid board help

Post by RedSkullz »

Hey
I used to do custom gridded boards for D+D which were pretty awesome but they were mostly location specific(link in my sig to a non gridded map, but dig around and you will see many pics of gridded 3d maps). Not a whole lot of options other than to make your own really.
Rifts!! Wow nice...i loved that game and palladium fantasy!! I see you are in Ontario...any chance the barrie area?
Check out my latest 3d Dungeons and Dragons 3d map!!

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t238 ... %20Desert/
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Thanks for the reply, no I am near Kincardine.

We found a couple of grid boards from a local art store and laminated them lol. Does the trick nicely! They are sturdy since they are made from some sort of industrial paper board.
~Ryan~

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Do you mean boards with square grids, like 1" x 1" squares?

I made 1 years ago. I took a piece of clear plexi and drew the squares with a marker. Then I sprayed it gray. Turn it over and the markings are on the bottom. I used china markers [grease pens] and then later wet erase markers on it.

If you want, you can also buy an easel pad, wit squres on it. I use it for 'haunted house' and such adventures.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Yeah 1" x 1" squares is what we use.

That is also another cool way Kt. I didn't even think of plexi!

Ideas, ideas!

Once thing I want to start doing is 3D DnD/Rifts/Pathfinder. Using terrain on the board. I haven't come across much terrain though that would work (minus Hirst Arts stuff).

Anyone ever play 3D DnD (or other RP)?
~Ryan~

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

i just drew on the boards. i suppose you can use paper terrain, like from battletech.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
mardaddy601 ( 260 )
Expert Trader

Post by mardaddy601 »

I've been on a 2 week kick building MDF cottages, outbuildings, carts and wagons to 3D dress up our Pathfinder games. Have not actually played with them yet - next game is the 6th - but there are a LOT of options for dressing up above-ground playing surfaces to get more 3D feel. I don't think I would EVER do it for caves/dungeons as the cost for every option I've seen out there so far is just too prohibitive.

About the only "cheap" way I can think to do it 3D would be a cardbord/foamcore modular routing sections using paper mache for making uneven textures then painting the sections. BUT - That seems a a lot of work for my level of interest in it...
None of these things are VITAL, this is a HOBBY. A hobby we enjoy, but still, a HOBBY.

Lower rating ships or pays 1st, myself included. Used to be more flexible; but was burned in recent months by a few newbies. If 200+ feedback w/no negs and 10+ years member is not enough to be trusted, well, like I said - none of this is VITAL.
ChaosOrc ( 402 )
Resident Trader

Post by ChaosOrc »

Have you heard of Hirst Arts blox? They would make a nice grid but its a lot of work.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Yeah I have a couple Hirst Arts moulds. The tiles and bricks. I was debating on making a few boards with them but wasn't sure I wanted to dedicate that much time, money and energy into a project like that. I was also thinking of doing "pieces" like hallways and T's and rooms and stuff but again, not sure if I want to put that much into it.

Perhaps if I had more moulds maybe, then I could create some nice terrain from it all too.

I read there are websites that you can buy premade kits that use Hirst Art stuff. That might be a possibility.
~Ryan~

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”