I hate USPS

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Re: I hate USPS

Post by warlordgarou »

kturock wrote:Over 60% of Fed Ex and UPS are carried/worked/sorted by USPS. I just threw away the postal report showing the actual percentages.
And yes, everything needs to be packed to handle 50 pounds dropping on it.
Odd. Not doubting - it's our local postal carrier that bends, folds, and generally mutilates as needed to fit things into the mailbox so as to avoid actually driving the postal vehicle up to our doorstep. (Circle drive, so they really can drive up to our front porch. But, they often don't, and if I have a car in said drive, they won't deliver packages at all. And yes, we have complained.)
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

If they're a rural carrier, they get paid by the mile, mailbox and piece. Usually the routes are adjusted once a year, sometimes less. Since the carrier uses his own gas, they don't drive from the mailbox. They're only required to go that far. [but it also depends on the individual carrier. I live on a rural route. Mine comes up my driveway when he has a package that won't fit in the box. I have an oversize box, to make it easier. It's only about 100 feet from my box to my door.]
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Post by warlordgarou »

Does a rural carrier use their own vehicle? Serious question - as I said, we're rural, but they use a USPS vehicle, and sometimes we get packages to the door, but only if (1) it can't be crammed into the mailbox and (2) there is no one in the circle drive. Sometimes, we get the "Failed Delivery" notice instead - but as a SAHD, I know which days I did not leave the house.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Some of the rural carriers get use of a USPS vehicle, some buy old USPS vehicles, some use their own vehicles.
It all depends on how their contract is negoiated. In my area, there are all 3.
The carrier is only supposed to leave any package IF he/she feels it safe to do so; due to weather and possiblity of theft. Some of the streets in my area have the parcel lockers, but not all.
My wife used to own a gun sale business. Our carrier was given her cell phone number and instructed to call before he came out. If he got an answer, he would bring it out. If he didn't get a person, or we told him to not bring it, he'd leave a 'attempted delviery' notice.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Post by warlordgarou »

kturock wrote:Some of the rural carriers get use of a USPS vehicle, some buy old USPS vehicles, some use their own vehicles.
It all depends on how their contract is negoiated. In my area, there are all 3.
The carrier is only supposed to leave any package IF he/she feels it safe to do so; due to weather and possiblity of theft. Some of the streets in my area have the parcel lockers, but not all.
My wife used to own a gun sale business. Our carrier was given her cell phone number and instructed to call before he came out. If he got an answer, he would bring it out. If he didn't get a person, or we told him to not bring it, he'd leave a 'attempted delviery' notice.
Huh. Learn something every day. Still not sure on the inconsistencies - weather doesn't seem to affect it, and it's a quiet neighborhood where theft is generally not a problem* Still, I don't think we have been the only ones complaining about the mail service in the area. I hope that our street (and some of the others nearby) could be incorporated into the urban routes the rural area really begins when you cross the road to our west, but I suspect the routes were drawn on how the area looked 20 years ago, when it was just being built. At some point, it may change.

* A couple years ago, we put out a bike for free. Wind blew the first sign off, and it sat by the road for several days until I noticed the sign was gone. Put a new sign on it, and it was gone within a few hours.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”