Makes me sad.

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

don_mondo ( 588 )
Resident Trader

Re: Makes me sad.

Post by don_mondo »

MagickalMemories wrote:. She recedes into the TV on game nights (STL Cards baseball),
Eric
At least she follows a good team!!
Don "MONDO"
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Doctari wrote:As far as space goes: I don't know where you guys have all this free time, teach me... please. I work 2 jobs and am in Grad school, she is an accountant and finishing up her CPA. We have maybe 1 night a week together. That night tends to be saturday, which is the big gaming night around here. So it usually really is "spend time with her or spend a night with the boys". She wins every time.
Well, obviously, we don't have two jobs and grad school... I have work from home and have online schooling. My wife is a home-maker/mother and does some real estate. We also have a gaming night with friends on Sundays. I have to leave the house at least one night a week or get stabbed/get stabby. It's not because I don't love my wife and kids; it's because I love them and don't want to be a bitch to them because I never leave the house.

Takeaway? People have different lives; something that works for you may not work for someone else.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
ChickenHide ( 28 )
New Trader

Post by ChickenHide »

Doctari wrote:I can only speak about my own experiences. I've been with the same woman since I was 18. We met on day one in college (the first run through) and will be celebrating 20 years next year. About 6 years into it I got to give up magic because she couldn't take me when I played magic (and bought and sold magic (though to be fair it paid for our first house so..)) and when it became clear that it was damaging my relationship I got to make a pretty simple decision: Quit playing with cards or Leave Stacie.

The one I choose took about 1 second to decide on. Do I miss magic? Sure. It's an amazing game, blah blah blah. Do I regret leaving it to make her happy? Not a bit.

So my statement (though clumsily made) still stands: If your toys are more important to you than your relationship you shouldn't be in that relationship. And if it's a choice between the two it shouldn't take any serious time to make that decision.

As far as space goes: I don't know where you guys have all this free time, teach me... please. I work 2 jobs and am in Grad school, she is an accountant and finishing up her CPA. We have maybe 1 night a week together. That night tends to be saturday, which is the big gaming night around here. So it usually really is "spend time with her or spend a night with the boys". She wins every time.

Key here is that it is a decision that you came to.

In regards to free time, with little exception, we make time for what is important to us. Not the healthiest thing to do, but when I need to free up time the first thing that goes for me is sleep. I've been doing it for so long that I've just gotten used to functioning at around 75% capacity.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Doctari wrote:As far as space goes: I don't know where you guys have all this free time, teach me... please. I work 2 jobs and am in Grad school, she is an accountant and finishing up her CPA. We have maybe 1 night a week together. That night tends to be saturday, which is the big gaming night around here. So it usually really is "spend time with her or spend a night with the boys". She wins every time.
Well, the wife and I each work ONE FT job, carpool, and aren't in school.
Your life is currently far more full than mine with requirements for your time.

When your life is less full of "requirements," you'll have more time for "desires."

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Myster2 ( 112 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Myster2 »

3eland wrote: Very true. My wife is content with my plastic addiction. Sometimes I get carried away but usually I am smart with balancing it with everything else. Plus, she likes knowing where I am on Warhammer nights and when I'm in the other room spending my evening working on plastic models. She also likes painting them so when i get to that stage it's something we enjoy doing together. She used to have a Grey Knight army but ended up selling it. She was getting bored with the immense amount of rules LOL.
My wife is the same now. Originally when I first started playing warhammer again (i used to play in college before we knew each other) she didn't believe that a bunch of men got together and played with plastic toys. She finally came to a tournament with me and after being bored for 9 hours she has decided that
1) She is okay with the hobby
2) She never wants to go to another event with me again :lol:
don_mondo ( 588 )
Resident Trader

Post by don_mondo »

Myster2 wrote: 2) She never wants to go to another event with me again :lol:
Same here, except for any events in Vegas. Those she insists on coming to and then disappears while I go play. If only she would win a jackpot while we were there.... :)
Don "MONDO"
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

don_mondo wrote:
Myster2 wrote: 2) She never wants to go to another event with me again :lol:
Same here, except for any events in Vegas. Those she insists on coming to and then disappears while I go play. If only she would win a jackpot while we were there.... :)
If she's like my wife, she wins $ then spends it all back in the machines.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
WyvernEye ( 232 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by WyvernEye »

Aye, I work 2 or 3 jobs myself, depending on the time of year. 2 kids, house lawn, etc... I give up TV time for my hobby. We have Netflix but no cable/Satellite. We run it like this- I go and help run everything she is interested in, but she HAS TO POST IT on the calendar. Nothing makes me madder than waiting till 3 days before and saying she obligated me to help at a Church function AFTER I invited 4 friends over for Warhammer. Otherwise, we enjoy it all as a family and I make some wicked good desserts for the events :-D

I am fortunate enough to be able to paint for my hobby, but it has happened I have painted to pay the bills or sold off a few items for Christmas or the electric bill. Yet, when I am selling off my 1975 D&D Swords and SOrccery, Blackmoor, and Wizardry to make ends meet don't be buying MORE Christmas stuffat Walmart "''cause it was on sale". :shocked: Was sad to see all 5 gamemaster series from MB go one winter also :( Told her her engagement ring was next if we didn't fix the spending issues. Got the hint thru Hehehehe

It's all a balance, respecting eachother's hobbies, dreams, and desires. My wife even mentions she wants to go camping with her college friend or see a movie with the ladies I take the kids, make dinner, stuff some money in her pocket and push her out the door. She needs to enjoy hobbies/friends more.

J

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”