Is It Normal For NEWBIES To Be Forced To Trade Down?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

fireangel ( 32 )
BTown Regular

Is It Normal For NEWBIES To Be Forced To Trade Down?

Post by fireangel »

Hey Everyone,

Edited to Add: I'm getting a thicker skin and learning how to weed through the bad trades and obvious predators. I don't want to delete this thread because it may be of value to future members, but I am learning how Bartertown works now, and the site has been great to me since I returned. Just ignore, or don't even respond to the guys that offer crap deals, it's not worth it... :-D

I'm just curious.

I spent some time on here in the late 90's and I had a good trade record, great reviews, and was known for being a straight up guy. I have trades on other forums, within the gaming community, and on other forums for some of my other hobbies. I also have a very active PLOG on a great 40k Forum that will illustrate how dedicated I am to this hobby. I only entered back into the trading world because I have buckets full of OOP metal rare models, not much money, and I want to trade them up for some of the cool plastic kits that I've seen come out in the last 2 years. Since the birth of my first child, keeping up with 40k has fallen by the wayside, and so I am looking to get exactly what I want without the crap of having to buy full boxed sets, and in the late 90's this is where you'd go to do that.

So the purpose of this post is to ask:

Is it normal now that when you are new to this forum you get bombarded by the people with high stats who then offer you a trade that is so horribly in their favor that your jaw hits the floor? I'm not criticizing the site, but I am a bit shocked. In the time I have been here I have had people offer me trades of non-rare items I can buy on Ebay for like 10 USD and then ask for about $100 in rare items in exchange. Or my favorite was a guy who is well known and I watched him over a decade ago, and he offered me two OOP models that came to about 70 USD for about 250 in OOP marine kits?

Is this normal?

Do I have to weather this crap until I find an actual group or person willing to do a real trade?

I have had to turn down some cash trade because I'm strapped at the moment and I want to assure all of those awesome people I have talked to about PayPal that this post is not about you, you have all been great.

But seriously? What's with the people offering one miniature in trade for two or three OOP force organization slots?
Last edited by fireangel on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Re: Is It Normal For NEWBIES To Be Forced To Trade Down?

Post by tordeck »

Every trader everywhere is looking to find what they want on the cheap. Some are more willing than others to hope that their potential new trade partner doesnt know what they are holding onto and come out ahead. Is it fair or right? Probably not. But it does happen. Since you arent required to accept any trade you arent comfortable making you arent really being forced into anything. Just bide your time till you find someone you are willing to trade with. Or hit up eBay, you'll get hit with fees but at least you wont have to worry about lowball offers.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Tordeck hit it on the head.

Also, when you read this, PM me. If you were here WAAAY back in the 90's, you might have some references. We'd like to get them tied to your new account (since the old 90's account is gone) so you get credit for the trades you did. The old account might be gone, but the references will still be in the system!

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
leth ( 352 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by leth »

I find that newbies are more likely to make a trade or offer that is not as good as they could have gotten. I always try to be fair, if I dont think it was a fair conclusion I will just throw some extra stuff in.
USA

My prices/trades are just estimates, I do not know the going rate. If you want to know sooner, send me a offer.

Just started my painting blog. To keep myself painting mostly
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Also, there are some people here who feel, no matter who you are, their stuff is gold and your stuff is crap.
They want NIB for their painted, broken junk or want full retail for it and anything else is you not being reasonable.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Boskie43 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Boskie43 »

I would honestly say its not just to the newbies.

I've personally dealt with it just over the last few months again here as has one of my friends from Cleveland.

I had over 2k up in 3 separate lots and someone asked if I'd take 100.00. I was confused and asked for what exactly... Guy wanted everything. He never even received a response back from me from then on.

I've actually found over the last 18 months or so this has become more frequent on here. Both from what I've seen personally and from what I have heard from my friends that deal on here. I'm not sure if its just the straight price increases from GW and people want it cheaper or what exactly but you're going to run into people that do this. The other thing I've found most recently is that the trend lately has been everyone's stuff is worth double what yours is - no matter the quality in either direction for the trade. Everyone should be reasonable and it feels to me like that has changed lately. So either respond with a quick no thanks or just ignore them would be my suggestion. Don't let it bother you. not worth it. Just hold out till you're happy and its all good. Everyone works as intended. If you're not happy with it - just say no and wait. Doesn't take longer than 30 seconds to respond to a message saying that.

As I learned a long time ago in business - people that are idiots should be treated with the same respect you'd treat someone in a bar - indifference - just ignore them and you're day will go better in the long run.

Saying that,
Overall I love BTown and will continue to use it when the oppurtunity is there. Best site I've ever come across for doing stuff like this and allows pretty fluid transition of games/armies.

speaking of that... finally finished my Khorne army... time to take pictures to get my points in the painting challenge!
George B
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

An easy way to avoid lowball offers (or at least reduce them) is to set a price in your ad. If you ask for someone to make an offer, don't be surprised if it is a low one. :)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

pretre wrote:An easy way to avoid lowball offers (or at least reduce them) is to set a price in your ad. If you ask for someone to make an offer, don't be surprised if it is a low one. :)
This exactly. If you're going to play the game of not wanting to set a price lower than you MIGHT be offered, buyers will make offers concerned about offering more than MIGHT be accepted.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
vurumai ( 458 )
Resident Trader

Post by vurumai »

Do I have to weather this crap until I find an actual group or person willing to do a real trade?
Short answer is yes. Until you have completed a single trade all of this sounds like sour grapes to me.
1. Every PM deserves a timely response.
2. Everyone has a busy life but anyone should be able to respond to a PM within 24 hours.
3. Lowest rating ships or pays first unless specifically otherwise arranged.
4. Lowest rating leaves Reference first.
5. No international deals unless agreed to explicitly in PM.
6. Everything ships with tracking. Items of sufficient value should be insured by the shipper.
Doctari ( 506 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

I can only speak for myself but yes. I've moved back and forth over the last decade here and I can state categorically that people are much worse now than they used to be. And no this isn't "it was all better back then" kind of thing.

What used to be normal (My X for your Y, they're roughly equal value) is now rare. Now it's "Here is the retail value of my items. I will give you 40% of retail to my 100% of retail. And you should be happy to get that" and now that's every single trade. And God forbid someone thinks they can take advantage of you. They descend like vultures.

I had 5 separate people offer me a ps3 for over 2000 dollars of orks and then acted offended when I pointed out that they were being ridiculous crap heads. But I will say that it's not just on here. The entire hobby seems filled with people whose only goal in life is to get over on someone else.

To cut a long rant short: I'm glad I'm getting out of it.
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Not my experience at all. :)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I've got a red Username and 600+ reputation. I acknowledge the difference this makes in how people treat me in trades (typically). I DO NOT try to use it to my advantage and have no desire for anyone else to. That said, I recognize that some people will.
Now, that said, I'm with pretre. I don't usually get any ridiculous offers. Occasionally, someone will offer me something that I think is over-valued for my stuff. I can never know if it's due to a lack of knowledge on their part or the red Username, but I always dial them back down, if I think they're over-doing it.
On the occasions that I get offered less than I think something's worth (in cash or comparative trade), it does not come across as if they're trying to rip me off, but that they're valuing things on their own scale; if they want orks, but are willing to settle for Nids, they're not as likely to give a good deal on the Nids. They're "settling," so they want a better deal. Makes sense to me. Hell, I do it myself.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Not that I don't get or give stilted offers, but the vast majority start out a little off and then work to even. I want a deal to be good for both sides because a couple extra minis isn't worth the stinkeye lingering over future trades.
DarkTraveler777 ( 194 )
Resident Trader

Post by DarkTraveler777 »

pretre wrote:An easy way to avoid lowball offers (or at least reduce them) is to set a price in your ad. If you ask for someone to make an offer, don't be surprised if it is a low one. :)
I wish this worked more.

I typically set an asking price and recently had a bundle of items that I was asking a fixed amount for plus shipping to be paid by the buyer. This was a large bundle of items that weighed over 5 pounds when packed and required an over-sized box (per the USPS' standards). I received an offer that was 60% of my asking price shipped. My asking price essentially covered the retail value of one item in the bundle and threw the rest in for free ($60-70 worth of freebies) so this was an extremely low offer. I countered with a reduction in my asking price (20% off) and insisted that the shipping be paid by the buyer. The response I received was hostile and uninformed both in terms of how much parcels cost to ship and what the cost of the models in question were at retail. The kicker was that this trader has almost triple my rep score and so SHOULD, at the very least, know the basics of shipping (like how much a flat rate Priority box costs, for example). I was really floored to receive such lunacy from an established member.

This occurred last month, and was the first time I have experienced such a one-sided offer from a member with a higher reference score than me.
"'This isn't really death,' Tyler says. 'We'll be legend. We won't grow old.' I tongue the barrel into my cheek and say, Tyler, you're thinking of vampires..." Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

***USERS WHO NEED NOT CONTACT ME ON ACCOUNT OF POOR COMMUNICATION***
vurumai
NJtrader
godsonlyson
ginganinja
Timetotrade
krustykilla
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

It really depends on what it is. If it was GW, 60% of retail price shipped isn't bad.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”