Is It Normal For NEWBIES To Be Forced To Trade Down?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Is It Normal For NEWBIES To Be Forced To Trade Down?

Post by MagickalMemories »

He said it was 60% of his asking price, which was retail on ONE of the items with $60+ added in for free.
That's kinda messed up, if intentional.

Then again... getting the best deal posible is the name of the game for some.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

True. Guess it depends on how much it was though. I was figuring it was a big item. I usually just counter offer or decline those that are too lowball.

Either way, folks can be jerks. ;)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
alqadim ( 162 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by alqadim »

My experiences and kind of the wonderment of BARTERtown to me was always the process of the barter. Usually that starts with unreasonable offers and statements that then you actually engage in a barter discussion and arrive at something that is if not financially equitable at least emotionally equitable between the parties. I think that there recently has been an influx of people who feel like bartertown is a for sale page and not a community of traders who give and take from each other to develop relationships and trades that make each other happy.

Quite frankly both parties should walk away from deals feeling like they not only accomplished something, but got a great value, but to get there requires that you have relationships with the other members. The reference system teaches you who you can trust to follow through, but every deal you make its your responsibility to make it a conversation and the development of the deal. Thats why this place has grown so big and active versus others that have tried.

Honestly, don't get insulted by a lowball or crazy offer, counter it with an offer on the other side of the spectrum. It's only really insulting if you let it be. I've had many great conversations with people that we ended up NOT coming to a deal with, probably just as many that I have. Thats why BT always feels like home.

My two and a half cents which is frankly not worth much after depreciation, but felt it had to be said anyways!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Please note I have moved to a new state, do not be alarmed!
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

alqadim wrote:My experiences and kind of the wonderment of BARTERtown to me was always the process of the barter. Usually that starts with unreasonable offers and statements that then you actually engage in a barter discussion and arrive at something that is if not financially equitable at least emotionally equitable between the parties. I think that there recently has been an influx of people who feel like bartertown is a for sale page and not a community of traders who give and take from each other to develop relationships and trades that make each other happy.

Quite frankly both parties should walk away from deals feeling like they not only accomplished something, but got a great value, but to get there requires that you have relationships with the other members. The reference system teaches you who you can trust to follow through, but every deal you make its your responsibility to make it a conversation and the development of the deal. Thats why this place has grown so big and active versus others that have tried.

Honestly, don't get insulted by a lowball or crazy offer, counter it with an offer on the other side of the spectrum. It's only really insulting if you let it be. I've had many great conversations with people that we ended up NOT coming to a deal with, probably just as many that I have. Thats why BT always feels like home.

My two and a half cents which is frankly not worth much after depreciation, but felt it had to be said anyways!

Well said!
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
don_mondo ( 588 )
Resident Trader

Post by don_mondo »

alqadim wrote:
Give you a nickel for that 2 1/2 cents....
Don "MONDO"
Byte ( 132 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Byte »

OP- Manage your own and others expectations. Delineate what you want for $ and what your looking for in trade. The "make an offer routine" is the worst part of online trading. As a buyer I won't even submit an offer on a vague thread as its a waste of MY time to banter back and forth.

Be clear of your trade details. Manage your own trade instead of letting it be managed by others. The best trade threads are very detailed and help to shift some of the low ballers to the "make an offer" threads.
I buy and trade minis, that's what I do.
fireangel ( 32 )
BTown Regular

Post by fireangel »

alqadim wrote:My experiences and kind of the wonderment of BARTERtown to me was always the process of the barter. Usually that starts with unreasonable offers and statements that then you actually engage in a barter discussion and arrive at something that is if not financially equitable at least emotionally equitable between the parties. I think that there recently has been an influx of people who feel like bartertown is a for sale page and not a community of traders who give and take from each other to develop relationships and trades that make each other happy.

I'm going to second the "well said" you got for this post. Thanks.

I'm not looking for a profit, or to get rich.

I just love my little metal men, and I want them to go to a good home that loves them, and in exchange I want to get more little metal men I can use for my current project. I will totally loose money to get what I want, but I'm not going to let someone with a big name bend me over simply because they have a high number next to their name, especially when I have followed them over the decades and I know they are selling, flipping, and marketing their trades on other sites.

I've been a nerd my entire life, and I have no love for the archetype that IS The Comic Book Guy Jeff Albertson on the Simpsons. I know the difference between NIB and "poorly painted"… :)

For the record I've met a ton of cool people on this page since I posted this. I'm pretty happy to be honest, I just am learning how to weed through the b@llSh!T.
Last edited by fireangel on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
THEFAN ( 580 )
Millenium Trader

Post by THEFAN »

And the name says it all. Bartertown. Welcome to my booth. Like what you see?? NO?? Then lets haggle. :) Sometimes I like to be the patron. haggling goes both ways. You can always walk away. No harm no foul!! :)
"I don't want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers." - D. Rockefeller creator of the National Education Association.
ShaneC ( 34 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by ShaneC »

For better or worse, I've pretty much mentally decided my rates for 'stuff'. Give or take a bit depending on quality, rarity, or general desire on my part.

ie. One of my first buys on here was for a big chunk of WoC. Basically, $1/humanoid figure, $2 per cavalry, and extra for 'others' (memory is a bit vague on the others), so that's basically what I like to try to do now, cash wise for sizeable lots.

Trading infantry for infantry? How about a model for model trade? (To some extent, obviously 20 plastic monopose goblins aren't worth as much as 20 Diaz Damonettes, or Sisters of Battle, but hey, if that's the agreed deal, cool!) Or maybe points for points if trying to trade whole armies. Otherwise, I tend to want to go retail for retail trade, if comparable condition.
Awaiting Feedback From: Quirk26 and WilsonUndead

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”