Ebay fee structure

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

Quickwork ( 10 )
New Trader

Ebay fee structure

Post by Quickwork »

So I recently sold and item on EBay for ~450 and found myself paying a free listing fee but with a sellers fee of ~$42. Is this normal for selling minis? And if so how are people avoiding the 10% fee if at all? I was away from Ebay for a bit so things seem to have changed.

Thanks!
~QW
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Re: Ebay fee structure

Post by jason1977 »

You list for free now but pay EBAY if it sells. You also pay is you slap a reserve on it and it dosent sell. To advoid EBAY fees, sell here or on Dakka.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

Don't forget the charge you get when the person pays by paypal. That goes to ebay too.
jokerkiller ( 68 )
BTown Regular

Post by jokerkiller »

Also only the 1st 50 auctions are free unless you pay for more.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

Imaginos wrote:Don't forget the charge you get when the person pays by paypal. That goes to ebay too.
To add to this NEVER send money as a gift when buying from a member on BT or Dakka. If you do you may have trouble getting the money back if things go bad. Only mark as gift for family members.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

The only time I gift money is to give a benefit to the other trader if they ship first. So I will gift the payment upon receipt and review of the items.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

I almost always put 'Gift payment is appreciated but not required' as part of my summing up e-mail for a transaction when I'm selling. It is completely optional for the buyer, but my feedback rating should give them some confidence that I'm not a jerk.

I will also negotiate gift payment (or payment of fees) if someone is asking for a big discount or a deal. i.e. "I'll do that for $40 shipped by Paypal Gift or $42 shipped by normal paypal"

Plenty of people take me up on it and I have never had a problem. Never forced, but certainly appreciated. :)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
Yatsuo ( 60 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Yatsuo »

I'm not sure if it still works, but people used to sell items cheap on EBay, and charge more for shipping after. You paid a percentage fee of the selling price, but that percentage wasn't calculated with the shipping.
Example: sell item for $500.00 + $10.00 for shipping=$510.00; 10% selling fee ($50.00) means you're taking home $460.00
Sell the item for $50.00 + $460.00 for shipping =$510.00; 10% selling fee ($5.00) means you're taking home $505.00

Of course, doing it that way assumes anyone looking at your listing understands why your shipping costs are soooo high, which means you're going to scare off a lot of potential buyers who don't understand that.
If this is a cash deal, buyer will pay 1/2 agreed price + actual shipping prior to the items being shipped (regardless of whether I am buying or selling, I feel this is the fairest way to share the risk of a cash deal-if this bothers you, please shop elsewhere)
Buyer will pay all actual shipping.
I live in Canada, so be aware of that before we finalize a deal.
If this is a trade, lowest rating ships first!
Still waiting for feedback from:
wboyden ( 134 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by wboyden »

Yatsuo wrote:I'm not sure if it still works, but people used to sell items cheap on EBay, and charge more for shipping after. You paid a percentage fee of the selling price, but that percentage wasn't calculated with the shipping.
Example: sell item for $500.00 + $10.00 for shipping=$510.00; 10% selling fee ($50.00) means you're taking home $460.00
Sell the item for $50.00 + $460.00 for shipping =$510.00; 10% selling fee ($5.00) means you're taking home $505.00

Of course, doing it that way assumes anyone looking at your listing understands why your shipping costs are soooo high, which means you're going to scare off a lot of potential buyers who don't understand that.
Alot was doing that so Ebay Changed it now they charge on the total amount including shipping thats why alot of listings now charge more but offer free shipping as the "free" gives them a boost in the search results
Always willing to work a trade,

People who didn't leave a ref for our trade:
Zombieskull88

There is a few others but been so long they aren't going to.
mardaddy601 ( 260 )
Expert Trader

Post by mardaddy601 »

ALSO - charging less for the items and more for shipping WAS against eBay rules... it was a reportable offense called, "Fee avoidance," that could get your listing yanked off eBay and no refund of your listing fee because "you broke the rules."
None of these things are VITAL, this is a HOBBY. A hobby we enjoy, but still, a HOBBY.

Lower rating ships or pays 1st, myself included. Used to be more flexible; but was burned in recent months by a few newbies. If 200+ feedback w/no negs and 10+ years member is not enough to be trusted, well, like I said - none of this is VITAL.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”