Why does Warhammer Visions suck so much?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Why does Warhammer Visions suck so much?

Post by pretre »

kturock wrote:"it as actually expected; the outgoing CEO had been hoarding stock, and a january
sell off was expected. really, i am just surprised that the stock was that high
to begin with."
My dates were wrong but the facts were right.
Your dates were off by a year though. :)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
Boskie43 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Boskie43 »

They can say what they like as to what they "expected" to happen for their official response all day long. This has happened to many companies through out the years and their stock values don't just drop through the roof a full year after a CEO leaves (not the outgoing anymore, more like GONE) with one investor (previous CEO) selling off his personal stocks. Even more case and point - normally the dip in share value occurs either the moment he leaves or the moment it is known he is leaving. Not a full 12 months after the guy has left.

This point is further exacerbated by the fact that the company should be extremely insulated to this type of drop. In 2012 the company was essentially owned by only 4 principle groups, two of which owned more than 18% each. If this had happened then it would be more reasonable of an argument for such an incredible fall. Since then the principle holders have grown to 7 with only one having more than a 10% share (10.9% ownership) and the majority of those sitting right around a 5% stake in the company. This should have insulated them from what they claim of ONE guy selling being able to have done this to them. Say what they want - they're full of it. Do they have a new brown color coming out soon? :-P

But, it's what EVERY company says as the official response when something bad happens. I wouldn't expect anything else.
Their nonsensical answer to price increases (as you yourself beat me to :-D ) is just more of the nonsense that is spouted from Kirby. Just tell me it's inflation or you want to make money, don't act like I'm a full on idiot please. The Company went public so it's the companies job to make money for shareholders and barely care about a customer base so long as it continues to provide income for said shareholders. I understand that... just please act like it.

Again though, not saying the sky is falling, not saying the company is going to be dead tomorrow. The company itself has no debt. This is huge for it. Even though it's operational funds dropped, they are still high. Even with losing 5mil that it had in the bank the company still has officially 67mil to play with - not including selling assets and buildings that will occur shortly with all the mass closings they had at the end of January.

Saying all that...
I still argue though its all being set up to sell the company to Hasbro/someone else :-D Great numbers, numbers increasing for multiple years (these increases don't officially show the "stream lining" being done), and now a "crash" showing that well "CLEARLY we have a huge amount of growth potential, buy us?" Seems like a calculated risk by someone on the inside for a mass sale. The industry is starting to show more and more competition at better "price points" for both new comers and retaining people into these new systems. Get out now while ahead and laugh all the way to their banks. That's my thought on the current situation anyways. Sale, Sale, Sale.
Last edited by Boskie43 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George B
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

pretre wrote:
kturock wrote:"it as actually expected; the outgoing CEO had been hoarding stock, and a january
to begin with."
I was going by info that was posted on a local gaming board. No dates were given and it was implied that he left and sold off quickly.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

kturock wrote:
pretre wrote:
to begin with."
I was going by info that was posted on a local gaming board. No dates were given and it was implied that he left and sold off quickly.
Right, but the point I'm making is that it had nothing to do with Visions, the 24% drop or anything else. Anyways...
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Boskie43 wrote:.

Saying all that...
I still argue though its all being set up to sell the company to Hasbro/someone else :-D Great numbers, numbers increasing for multiple years (these increases don't officially show the "stream lining" being done), and now a "crash" showing that well "CLEARLY we have a huge amount of growth potential, buy us?" Seems like a calculated risk by someone on the inside for a mass sale. The industry is starting to show more and more competition at better "price points" for both new comers and retaining people into these new systems. Get out now while ahead and laugh all the way to their banks. That's my thought on the current situation anyways. Sale, Sale, Sale.
That sounds like a reasonable assumption. Let's see how it plays out.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

kturock wrote:They've used every excuse, and even no excuse other than it's the yearly price increase.
You mean "Yearly Price Adjustment." Right? LOL
After all, every year they make sure to reduce a few token items to "prove" it's not an across-the-board price bump. :roll:

:mrgreen:
Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

kturock wrote:GW a while back, decided to make the rare, special, elite, models cost more, thus making them rarer on the battlefield.
When that didn't keep people from fielding unbalanced numbers of troops, they decided to keep the prices high and just change the number of unit choices for that type of model.
Then they said that these models were produced in smaller numbers and thus cost more.
Then they said it cost more to import the models into the US, since 'lead toys' were linited/prohibited into the US.
They they made plastic models and said they had to charge more because of the cost of oil and the new molds and injection machine.
Inflation has cause the to charge more.

They've used every excuse, and even no excuse other than it's the yearly price increase.
I seriously doubt they have ever made pricing choices to balance the game.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

NuWishA wrote:
kturock wrote:GW a while back, decided to make the rare, special, elite, models cost more, thus making them rarer on the battlefield.
When that didn't keep people from fielding unbalanced numbers of troops, they decided to keep the prices high and just change the number of unit choices for that type of model.
Then they said that these models were produced in smaller numbers and thus cost more.
Then they said it cost more to import the models into the US, since 'lead toys' were linited/prohibited into the US.
They they made plastic models and said they had to charge more because of the cost of oil and the new molds and injection machine.
Inflation has cause the to charge more.

They've used every excuse, and even no excuse other than it's the yearly price increase.
I seriously doubt they have ever made pricing choices to balance the game.

Then you weren't around back in 2nd ed.
I've been around since RT.

bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

right there with you kturok....

I remember watching the special charector packs and special unit packs move tobox sets and jump like 10 bucks it seemed only for the sole purpose that they were "Rare" or "Character" modesl in an army.

GW didn't say that, but that's the only models that were effected.

in the day the Core troops were sold as Box sets that sometimes could create mutiple units (anyone remember the 40 box set up empire halbreders) and for the specials you bought them 2 to 3 in a blister pack for like 9 dollars.

Then next thing you know your cores came out in "Unit" boxes at one price point, Specials/secondary heavy hitter units came out in their own unit box sets but the pricing if you bought them all as blisters was 10-20 dollars more depending on army, and indivd/Spec Char. which are the only things in blisters really no a days went from 10-12$ to up to 25-30 dollars. It was rediculas and one of the reasons I kept my 90's goblin army for 20 years. (sold it last year finally as the uniqueness of it actually got me back in cost what I spent to buy a new more viable army)

For smaller armies like wood elves or dwarves you paid a big some for a whole box of a complete unit. For Hoard armies your specials got spilt into 2 seperate box sets to make one patial full unit (I say partial because you got 2 commands origianlly and no parts to jsut make the second command regualar troops...which proves at how unthought out the decision was when they just started throwing current unit molds into boxes).

so a unit of Black Ors which you would think should be like 20 strong in a tourney size army ends up costing like 50-60 bucks initially (I just looked now and that unit of 10 in the so called cheaper plastic is not almost 50 bucks...that means for me to field a unit that will have any relevancy in a game I have to drop 100 dollars on the unit)

....I honestly don't know how any older players like myself even buy new crap anymore. It is also one of the reasons I hit the secondary market almost extensively when building a new army as it is so easy no a days to strip regular troops now and repaint to a really decent table standard.

GW IMO is just feeding the secondary markets hunger even more, and I would not doubt that if it could have, it would have sued to have places like BT and ebay cease and desiste years ago to force people into buying new only... (i bet if I were a fly on the wall that discussion probably happened at one point in a GW conference room)

hell...I bet if GW could make bio-degrable minis that had a shelf life of say like 5 years...they would tottally make them and then have a recurring line of buyers on an annual basis to replace what finally broke down...(auto manufacturer of the Hobby industry)
Garlicson2 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Garlicson2 »

I find it funny that this got off topic real fast from discussing the new Visions books. I would love to hear more about the old days, but please take it to another topic. If there's ANYTHING good about the new books GW is releaseing, I would like to know.

Sorry if I come off as rude, but I really want to know more because I was thinking about getting a copy just to look in. So try and dissuade me!
Johnny
Couple of things to know when trading with me:

1. Lower rating ships/trades first (Me included), unless your ad states vice versa, NO EXCEPTIONS.

2. The price on my lot does NOT include shipping, unless my ad says otherwise.

3. I'm not good with shipping at the same time, so if our rating is the same, we should discuss who'll send first.

Other than that, I'm a easy going trader, so don't hesitate to make any offer, worst I can say is "No thanks".
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Garlicson2 wrote: So try and dissuade me!
Johnny
You mean the $4 for a weekly issue as opposed to the $10 for the once a monthly? for a catalog.

Or that most of the pages are pics from the website?

Garlicson2 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Garlicson2 »

kturock wrote:
Johnny
You mean the $4 for a weekly issue as opposed to the $10 for the once a monthly? for a catalog.

Yeah. How are the batreps? Are the other images that aren't on the site good looking? Tell me more.

Johnny
Couple of things to know when trading with me:

1. Lower rating ships/trades first (Me included), unless your ad states vice versa, NO EXCEPTIONS.

2. The price on my lot does NOT include shipping, unless my ad says otherwise.

3. I'm not good with shipping at the same time, so if our rating is the same, we should discuss who'll send first.

Other than that, I'm a easy going trader, so don't hesitate to make any offer, worst I can say is "No thanks".
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Garlicson2 wrote:I find it funny that this got off topic real fast from discussing the new Visions books. I would love to hear more about the old days, but please take it to another topic. If there's ANYTHING good about the new books GW is releaseing, I would like to know.

Sorry if I come off as rude, but I really want to know more because I was thinking about getting a copy just to look in. So try and dissuade me!
Johnny

Nothing rude about it. I was just about to chime in with the same basic message, myself.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

Garlicson2 wrote:
kturock wrote:
Johnny

Yeah. How are the batreps? Are the other images that aren't on the site good looking? Tell me more.

Johnny

that's what happens when you get halfway through a topic that is already off topic...and decide to respond to someone...I actually thought I was on topic at the time :P

As to visions...save your money. It's poorly laid out, rehash the same battle scene through different camera angles and honestly isn't even some of their best painted mini's.

buy a blister pack..you'll get way more enjoyment.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”