Best Case + Foam options?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

Boskie43 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Best Case + Foam options?

Post by Boskie43 »

Karyle wrote:Bah, Battle Foam has cardboard storage boxes too if you want them, but the thread is titled "Best Case" and that's BF, no matter how you shake it. It's not a "solution that works pretty well" but simply the best.

We've apparently gone down the route of being a two year old, not allowing other opinions, and just broken record repeating.

Honestly, I might argue we're worse than a two year old as at least my two year old son says the same thing in a slightly different manner if his opinion is different than mine.

If someone thinks another is better let his opinion be said.

Saying all that... I'd argue for the COST it is not THE BEST. That all factors into someone's opinion. Heck... why not argue an armor car with security to hand hold and walk your models into a room as the BEST route? Sorry... two year old arguements get two year old responses. See the stupidity outright laid out? If a guy digs his own grave with his actions, repeating and showing people what he HAS done, not talking rumors, isn't doing anything but informing the public of how sleezeball the individual can be. Defend away and stop anyone from having another opinion if you feel like you have to.

I've found magnetizing your bases, sticking a non rusting metal plate on the bottom of http://www.target.com/p/clearview-latch ... edium_1_32, is the easiest, cheapest best way to move armies. In units, won't shift around, open box, put on table, play game. Much easier and have NEVER had an issue where I feel spending the lavish amounts of money that those cases+foam cost are worth it. Also faster as you don't have to take every individual model out of a case and slowly put them down in a movement tray when it can all be magnetized to make life easier across the board.

edit: 20 minute later double post... gotcha... still holds value
Last edited by Boskie43 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George B
Karyle ( 336 )
Resident Trader

Post by Karyle »

It double posted from my phone by accident. Thanks for the insult/attack though.
I always trade using standard Bartertown practices (i.e., traders with a lower Trader Rating ship their items first, unless other mutually agreeable terms are reached).
I always ship items using USPS, and I always ship using Delivery Confirmation. You should, too.
pixelgeek ( 204 )
Resident Trader

Post by pixelgeek »

Boskie43 wrote:I've found magnetizing your bases, sticking a non rusting metal plate on the bottom of http://www.target.com/p/clearview-latch ... edium_1_32, is the easiest, cheapest best way to move armies. In units, won't shift around, open box, put on table, play game.
I've seen people do the same thing but with larger Rubbermaid trays. Pop a whole WFB army into them. I wonder if painting the bottoms with magnetic paint would work at all?
Boskie43 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Boskie43 »

I'll ask the guys at my club. I vaguely remember someone trying that magnetic paint out before but it not being anywhere near as effective as the alternative that we (and I'm sure others!) have come up with.

I essentially have one of those tubs from Target for each of my finished armies. They stack nicely when not in use and are dirt cheap. Easily hold an entire 2500 point list that I want to carry around as well as dice/measuring tape with no problems. Being clear is nice as well... makes it easy to not grab the wrong one if someone screws with you and changes your labels around :-P The only army that I know has had any issues is the horde goblin army that someone plays... has like 280 goblins before you get into war machines and other toys.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#flexible-magnets/=qib03r
^ That is where we generally buy the magnets from. We have a group pay into it for the "Sheeting Flexible Magnet" and then split it amongst those that bought. I bought in for almost 30.00 roughly 2 years ago... haven't had to buy anymore since then (starting to get close though after completing almost 3 armies for myself and some other units for guys in the club). When I bought into it last time they didn't have an adhesive back version (or at least we didn't order that kind) - I'd probably suggest that as from what I've been told is that it functions just like GaleForce 9s adhesive magnetic sheets and could save you some time/glue if you didn't want to take the extra 10 minutes it takes to glue it onto a base :-D . Just pop the Metal sheet down in the tub, throw this rubber on the underside of your movement trays - magnetize the model bases onto said movement trays and I can say that I don't believe I'd had a model fall during transportation ever. Can also buy the sheet metal from them - I normally just visit my local hobby store for that.
I also cannot say what their shipping rates are... we have a guy that works roughly 10 minutes from their location in Aurora, Ohio so after ordering he just stops in a day or two later to pick it up.

Overall much much cheaper and in my opinion significantly easier for transportation/set up/clean up that those cases and foam.
George B
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Stop.
Just stop.

If you want to debate the quality of the product, then do so. If you want to talk about the trustworthiness of the business, then do so. If you want to discus your opinions of the owner's personality... do it somewhere else. We don't do that here, and you've both been here long enough to know that.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

Man, I just got my popcorn too.
Galley ( 144 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Galley »

Magnetizing isn't a bad option, but it takes either the perfect metal case or a lot of work with tin snips. I know about magnetic paint, but from people i've talked to about it, you need -a lot- of layers before it's going to work consistently.

A friend of mine uses music equipment cases, the big square kinds, as they would fit the sabol cases. Worked well I thought, just a bit heavy.
-------------------------------------------------------
"There is no God I assure you. Someone, some -thing- rules in his place."

I reserve the right to ask all traders/buyers/sellers to send first if they have a lower rating.

@FishDeadDaemon
Boskie43 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Boskie43 »

Or... just have home depot/lowes cut the piece of metal to fix exactly in the tub I pointed out above... and you never need to use snips...

And yep, guys in my club said the same thing as Galley - the magnetic paint takes 4-5 coats before it's "reasonable".

Haven't seen the music equipment idea. Seems like a pretty reasonable alternative.
George B
pixelgeek ( 204 )
Resident Trader

Post by pixelgeek »

MagickalMemories wrote:If you want to talk about the trustworthiness of the business, then do so. If you want to discus your opinions of the owner's personality... do it somewhere else.
Given that he is the owner of the company and makes the decisions for it I am not sure why his public behaviour, attitude towards the community and attitude towards his competitors isn't relevant. It isn't Romeo the person threatening to sue Blood of Kittens it is Battlefoam. It isn't Romeo that threatened to sue competitors it was Battlefoam.

The issue here isn't that I don't like him, the issue is how he, as head of his company, responds to the community and if we, as a community, don't say that those sort of things aren't acceptable then how are we able to make informed decisions about our purchases and make companies aware that their behaviour isn't acceptable? Or more to the point, I don't dislike Romeo because of who he is, I dislike him because of what he does as head of his company.

Since Romeo is the owner and public face of his company it is difficult to separate him from Battlefoam and therefore difficult to not talk about him and the company interchangeably.

I can understand that as a mod you don't want the issue to devolve into a flame war but I think that presenting the facts of the matter and allowing people to make up their minds about whether Romeo/Battlefoam is a company they want to support.
pixelgeek ( 204 )
Resident Trader

Post by pixelgeek »

Galley wrote:I've been a long time Sabol user, but apparently they went out of business or something (Thanks for taking down your website and your shopping cart system...)
In light of that, what did people shift to? Not interested in the extra expensive custom laser cut foam trays, though.
What game is this for? Or what type of games?
pixelgeek ( 204 )
Resident Trader

Post by pixelgeek »

Boskie43 wrote:Haven't seen the music equipment idea. Seems like a pretty reasonable alternative.
Those cases can get pretty heavy though
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

@Pixelgeek - Most likely because he is unable to defend himself here, although I am sure MM will explain why in full.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

Suprisingly, a lot of my storage cases came from thrift stores in the form of old Luggage. A LOT of carryon camera bags are Sabol sized inside.. so I can throw 8 trays into a suitcase stacked on edge and off I go.

Plus, the tacky paisly and faux leather makes my bags easy to keep track of, if they wander away.. the multitude of Sabol and BF bags locally makes confusion happen more often than not.

-P
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
MattHoell ( 100 )
Resident Trader

Post by MattHoell »

FYI, I e-mail Sabol on Friday to ask about their on going sale, and got a reply back this morning. So they are still there, planning on putting in a order tonight.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

pixelgeek wrote:I can understand that as a mod you don't want the issue to devolve into a flame war but I think that presenting the facts of the matter and allowing people to make up their minds about whether Romeo/Battlefoam is a company they want to support.
3eland wrote:@Pixelgeek - Most likely because he is unable to defend himself here, although I am sure MM will explain why in full.
Close, 3e.
Battlefoam is an advertiser on Bartertown. If Romeo wanted to come in here and dispute, refute or address any claims against BF, he'd be welcome to. Being an advertiser gives the company some special considerations here. Freedom from criticism, however, is not one of them.

The reason he needs to be left out of it is because we don't do that here. We do not attack people. Bartertown doesn't allow our members to publicly bash anyone for any reason. Even in the BTR forum, which was created for specifically complaining about people, we don't allow disparaging personal comments. People have gotten away with referring to others as thieves, but that is about the extent of it. If you referred to even the worst scammer as a d**chebag in a BTR... you can expect to have the thread edited and receive a PM from a staff member.
We just don't do it.

Romeo may be the owner of BF, but any actions made on behalf of BF are done in BF's name. If the company's suing someone, then the COMPANY is; not Romeo.
If Romeo loses his temper on DakkaDakka, then it's Romeo losing his temper... but that doesn't mean we will allow him to be raked over the coals for it.

Example:
Nice products and the owner isn't a total a-hole like some companies <cough>battlefoam</cough>
Nice products and the owner doesn't have the public relations difficulties of companies <cough>battlefoam</cough>
The second comment is far more acceptable than the first. In the first, the man's being outright called an A-hole. That's uncool. On the other hand, in the edited comment, you're addressing the problems of the company without making it personal. If someone asked for clarification, something like this would still be possible:
What do you mean by "public relations difficulties?"
Well, the owner has an aggressive personality and has been known to lose his temper on public forums and private conversations, and I don't care for certain litigious moves that he's made on the company's behalf.
Right there, you're addressing issues that some have said publicly, but still keeping the insults out of it.
Rule #1: PLAY FAIR.
We all learned this rule in Kindergarten. Don't cheat, tell the whole truth, help out "around the house," be nice to others, be responsible for what you do, follow the rules, and treat others how you'd like to be treated yourself. Everything else from here on down is either administrivia or specific examples of how to PLAY FAIR. The adult version of this rule sounds like this: Don't Be A D*ck.
I hope this helps clarify my intent.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”