Where do you game at?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

Chris33 ( 8 )
Apprentice Trader

Where do you game at?

Post by Chris33 »

Hi All,

I live not too far from the GW Chicago Battle Bunker. Close enough to drive there within 20 minutes so my oldest son and I can get a game in now and then. On the 26th of this month, that location is closing and will reopen a bit farther away in a much smaller location. The new place is a 2 table storefront, so it will not be the most convenient place to go to.

This has led me to building a table in the basement for my son and I to continue to play on, the brother-in-law is welcome too but mostly it will be my son and I.

Where do all of you game at? Do you have an established area in your home or do you prefer going into a game store?
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: Where do you game at?

Post by 3eland »

I game at anyone of my gaming buddies house including my own. I am the only one with a full garage so we usually do big games like apoc at my house, however we are on a system. Two weeks per household, we game Wednesdays so having the system helps. Especially with the wives LOL.
Last edited by 3eland on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

I'm lucky to have several local stores with some space, though we also have the two table GW store. Then again, Memphis is just a few hours away.
warlordgarou ( 248 )
Millenium Trader

Post by warlordgarou »

I used to have to travel some 30 miles to get to a FLGS that welcomed miniature gaming (the local store allowed Warhammer, but nothing else for the most part). In recent months, a new FLGS has opened, and the other FLGS has changed owners, and wants to have more miniature games of all types getting played.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

There are 5 of us in my group. We meet at the same house almost every Saturday. The place is a gaming PALACE. Completely refinished basement; pinball, shuffleboard table & darts in one room, theater room, large terrain storage room and a game room big enough for 8 people playing 2 to a table on 4x6 tables (English reclaimed wood). About 5k to 10K+ points of each army, fully pro painted, except Sisters, BT & IG for anyone to use. There's a completely stocked bar in the game room (I mean COMPLETELY) and the gaming area is finished to resemble a german brewhouse/pub. It's gross. LOL

I think the 6' stuffed black bear makes the room *pop* though! LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I've seen pictures of where MM games and I thought it was King Arthur's personal quarters. It's absolutely beautiful!
~Ryan~

jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

If you dig deep into the Cafe forum, there is a topic titled 'where you do what you do'. I started it so members could tak epictures of there game rooms. It only has 3 posts. If you drift over to Dakkadakka.com and poke through their Dakka Discussions forum, you will find a topic called 'Your gaming area @ home. Same thing but it has gotten more hits. IF you wish to post be careful on Dakka. They may lock the topic as its old. You may wish to start a new one or just look for inspiration.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

I have a 5 table GW within a 15 minute drive and 2 more within 30 minutes. There are also at least 8 LGS all within 30 minutes of a drive (1 is a 2 minute walk). I do have 1 LGS that a favour (large open space, 6 tables, tons of nice terrain, tables are at a decent height, they give a discount on GW product) In addition to that they are a few of my gaming buddies, myself included, who also have tables in their houses. Needless to say I'm spoiled for choice.
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Doctari ( 506 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

Like all proper nerds I game in my basement. We've had the same gaming group for years and years though.

Strangely I normally don't invite strangers over to play pretend war with me!

:)
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions.
bluemeenie ( 114 )
Expert Trader

Post by bluemeenie »

That's the one thing about gamers also...when you move your kinda screwed.

I had a couple of groups that I gamed with in Chicago..we had 3 or 4 tables..custom scenery was really fun. PLus we had the bunker if we were feeling like a change of scenery.

Now I'm in Cleveland and tbh trying to work you way into a 40k/fantasy group that is establish is like prying money from scrooge McDucks hands.

There are a couple of stores with good gaming areas and I can get a pick-up game every now and then with the usual's at the store, but after that... no dice.

My experience is that most miniature playing groups have been friends for years and playing as a group for years, and unless you marry into it or get really lucky it's hard to break into that circle.
Galley ( 144 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Galley »

A little off topic but still relevant - I'm going to be moving soon (however, not sure where....job related stuff), and I don't always know what the gaming community is like when I have been considering possible cities. At times Yelp is helpful for finding gaming stores, but beyond that and Craigslist, it's not easy to find a FLGS/community. Any suggestions to how I can refine my search and feel better about finding groups?
-------------------------------------------------------
"There is no God I assure you. Someone, some -thing- rules in his place."

I reserve the right to ask all traders/buyers/sellers to send first if they have a lower rating.

@FishDeadDaemon
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Galley wrote:A little off topic but still relevant - I'm going to be moving soon (however, not sure where....job related stuff), and I don't always know what the gaming community is like when I have been considering possible cities. At times Yelp is helpful for finding gaming stores, but beyond that and Craigslist, it's not easy to find a FLGS/community. Any suggestions to how I can refine my search and feel better about finding groups?
When you finally move or know where you are moving to start a post asking if there are any Btowners in the area, or go to another popular website like Dakka and ask. You'd be surprised at how easy it would be to find good playing groups.
~Ryan~

Chris33 ( 8 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Chris33 »

Something else you may want to consider as well. The GW website still has the game store and club search engine up. It is a good start even though it is not updated often. Another thing that works is a Google search for hobby stores or game clubs followed by the new zip code.
Boskie43 ( 84 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Boskie43 »

bluemeenie wrote:That's the one thing about gamers also...when you move your kinda screwed.

I had a couple of groups that I gamed with in Chicago..we had 3 or 4 tables..custom scenery was really fun. PLus we had the bunker if we were feeling like a change of scenery.

Now I'm in Cleveland and tbh trying to work you way into a 40k/fantasy group that is establish is like prying money from scrooge McDucks hands.

There are a couple of stores with good gaming areas and I can get a pick-up game every now and then with the usual's at the store, but after that... no dice.

My experience is that most miniature playing groups have been friends for years and playing as a group for years, and unless you marry into it or get really lucky it's hard to break into that circle.

What part of Cleveland? BREWS are all welcoming and more than willing to get games in whenever. I'd admit there is a "cliche" to the whole concept as moving sucks. I personally moved to Columbus almost a year ago but still head north at least 2-3 times a month for both family and gaming. Columbus group are great guys but I don't "know" them as well. Cleveland has easily two of the best players in the country in Justin Burgy (HE - number 2 in the country) and Eric Weidus (top 10 warriors last time I saw the rankings) - both are going to US Master this year and both were #1/#2 in the midwest region for the entire year. I'll pm you my number to give ya more details/what not.
George B

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”