Hunting Season 2013 or legends of the past...

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

Xoan ( 158 )
Journeyman Trader
Location: Garden City, Kansas or 3 miles from the middle of no where

Hunting Season 2013 or legends of the past...

Post by Xoan »

Heya guys,

It is 2013, and hunting season is coming back around. Rifle season in Kansas starts this Wednesday, and I will be out with my dad hunting again this year. This year though I went back to my roots, and picked up a bow again, so I have been bow hunting this year. you might remember that last year I posted a picture with my White Tail that had half its rack broken off. It was a nice deer, but totally unscoreable not that the score is the only reason I do this. I hunt mostly for the meat, and the experience of going out to hunt.

However, unlike the years past when I was like 12 to 15 that I never got a deer with a bow, I got one this year. This is a first for me in two ways, it is my first Mule Deer, it is my first deer with a bow, and I guess it is my first with both sets of horns... lol ...so that is really a 2.5 for firsts.

I know the picture is not great, I did not see how hard it was to see until I got home. Here is how I would describe it; It is a main frame 4x4 or 8 point, with eye guards, and two stickers that are 1.5 inches long and nearly 3 inches long. It is not overly wide, but it has nice height and is both heavy and bladed out. I should also point out that I shot it while I was totally unprepared, I was out in the open, I had my bow and one arrow... no binocs or range finder, and there was a total of 17 deer coming my way. I had to avoid a lot of eyes, and not be overwhelmed by Buck Fever.

For it to be a Pope and Young Deer which is the scoring system classically used with bows, it needs to score 145, I wont know that for 60 days or more as they want the horns to cure for 60 days and become dry. However, I think it is close to 145, though the picture is hard to tell. I have had people with far more experience at this than I tell me it should score higher than I think, and others tell me they think it will be closer to 130s so I have no idea really. Either way it goes I am going to be very proud of it.

If you have any deer you are proud of, I would love to see them.

Thanks
Clark
I will ship out of the US please let me know within the first post where you are if not in the US, it does affect how the trade goes some times. Thanks Also lower rank ships first, and I always want to both use and receive a tracking number so I can know when to expect things.

I have a website and a blog, and I am a painting service feel free to ask for a quote anytime.
http://miniaturesampd.com/
http://miniaturesampd.wordpress.com/
Xoan ( 158 )
Journeyman Trader
Location: Garden City, Kansas or 3 miles from the middle of no where

Re: Hunting Season 2013 or legends of the past...

Post by Xoan »

I just talked to the taxidermist tonight, it seems that someone tried to poach the deer I shot with my bow. He just got to it and opened the skull up, he noticed that there was a 22 sized hole that he thought was a gore hole from another buck. He thinks it is a bullet vs a gore from a horn due to the object piercing a hole in the skull itself. I wont go into too many details, as it is pretty gross, but it is clear that this happened at least 3 weeks before I shot it with my bow in bow season.

I know Deer are tough, but a bullet to the brain I would think, would end most deer without the side affects that come from untreated bullet wounds even if they are only a 22. lol
I will ship out of the US please let me know within the first post where you are if not in the US, it does affect how the trade goes some times. Thanks Also lower rank ships first, and I always want to both use and receive a tracking number so I can know when to expect things.

I have a website and a blog, and I am a painting service feel free to ask for a quote anytime.
http://miniaturesampd.com/
http://miniaturesampd.wordpress.com/

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”