A chaos army for 290+shipping: is it worth it?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

sheeshmode ( 0 )
New Trader

A chaos army for 290+shipping: is it worth it?

Post by sheeshmode »

Hi all, a guy on my facebook group is offering the following list for $290+shipping. I am wondering if its worth the investment so that I can sell it all on ebay later on.

The list:

CSM: Either primed or bare, mostly bare
Codex $25
Aspiring Champion $10
Demon Prince w/Wings $25
Sorcerer in TDA w/Force Staff $12
Lucius (Metal) $10
Typhus (Metal) $12
Kharn (Finecast) $10
22 Berzerkers $40
-5Chain Axes
39 Cultists $50
-9 Ranged
-3 Flamers
-23 CC
-4 Leaders
Helbrute $8
23 Chosen $36
-4 P.Axe
-4 P.Mauls
-4 P.Fists
-4 Lightning Claws
-7 Boltguns
20 CSM $40
-1 P.Fist/Plasma Pistol
-2 Heavy Bolters
-3 Flamers
-1 P.Sword/Plasma Pistol
10 Warp Talons $50 or $30/5
2 Forgefiends $70 or $35 ea
-1 2xHades w/ Ecto
-1 2xHades

My plan is to get a 200% return for the above.
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Re: A chaos army for 290+shipping: is it worth it?

Post by porkuslime »

moved to a slightly better section of the board..

BUT.. looks pretty good.. do you have pictures or comments about how well they are built?
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
sheeshmode ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by sheeshmode »

At the moment no, I am waiting till later to get pictures of the assembled models. Depending on the quality of the modeling, I will either leave it alone or re-model it myself.

How does 4-5 hundred dollars sound for the above army on ebay? Too cheap? (I want to sell it for 800 but wonder if that's too expensive.)
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

If they are mauled beyond belief, covered in glue, or spray painted with enamel paint... NOPE.. ain't worth it.

Have you calculated the "Offeeecial GW" price off thier website? If so.. assume you MIGHT get 50% of that on ebay..
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
sheeshmode ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by sheeshmode »

I haven't. I'll take a look.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Yeah when selling on ebay you will be lucky to make 50%, especially if it is painted and assembled. Couple people on there sell at 35%ish off brand new so no one will buy it for less than that. I usually start at the lowest I would ever want for it, then add 50 dollars and put free shipping to canada and the states, usually gets bidders quick. Then, let the bidders work the price up. Don't be the guy who starts it at 500 dollars and then complains when it doesn't sell week after week after week. People go to eBay for deals lol.

I roughly calculated it up (I didn't do exact numbers and mostly rounded up) but it looks to be about 500-550 there, give or take a few dollars. So, at 290 your getting about 48% off. You will not be making much money if at all off eBay, especially taking into account the fees from eBay and Paypal (10% of final sale is eBay fee, and like 30 bucks from Paypal depending on final sale price). So, I would PERSONALLY (don't have to take my advice) not buy it if your looking to only sell it on eBay.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to include the Codex, so maybe 50-52% off total price at 290... still not that great. You will have to do the calculations of the actual prices off GW to see the full percentage but still not very good lol.
sheeshmode wrote: My plan is to get a 200% return for the above.
No way, not when brand new is around 550-580ish (again you'll have to do exact totals to be sure). 200% of 290 is 580... no one is going to pay NIB price for assembled and primed stuff. I mean I guess it COULD happen, but if I was looking for an army, no way would I go to eBay and pay full or close to full for already built and partially primed models.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Post by themailedfist »

It seems to me you might consider the fact that they are selling it for $290 as a sign that it's NOT going to fetch that much more than that.

--Robert
sheeshmode ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by sheeshmode »

here is a pick of his chosen. They're pretty well assembled.

What if I sold individual models for a higher price, so that I can make a little more than what I would get if I sold them as bundle?
RatOnFire ( 194 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by RatOnFire »

sheeshmode wrote:
here is a pick of his chosen. They're pretty well assembled.

What if I sold individual models for a higher price, so that I can make a little more than what I would get if I sold them as bundle?
I'll put in my two cents to say that depends on the model (assuming it's in good condition). stuff that's a metal version of a "finecast" model or a unit that's particularly good in game such that not many people are selling their's is probably going to go for a bit more if sold separately, but that's about it. you could reasonably get 60% for such items, but the rest is closer to 50% (or less). At least that's been MY observation.
themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Post by themailedfist »

I'm still of the opinion that this is not a money making enterprise. You might make $40-$50 if you break up the army and sell the pieces, but:

1. It's a lot of work managing the listings, packing and shipping everything.
2. Ebay takes a sizable bite of each transaction, and you might lose more money on the aggregate than selling in larger lots
3. The return on investment will start to make flipping burgers seem attractive.

That's all I'm saying here. Caveat emptor.

--Robert
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

themailedfist wrote:I'm still of the opinion that this is not a money making enterprise. You might make $40-$50 if you break up the army and sell the pieces, but:

1. It's a lot of work managing the listings, packing and shipping everything.
2. Ebay takes a sizable bite of each transaction, and you might lose more money on the aggregate than selling in larger lots
3. The return on investment will start to make flipping burgers seem attractive.

That's all I'm saying here. Caveat emptor.

--Robert
I agree with Robert. By selling them individually you are then paying the ebay fee and Paypal fee for each individual item (and the shipping packaging and materials for each individual item). Most new eBay sellers tend to forget about this and are surprised when the monthly bill comes in and they lost more than they made! The only way you could make some good money (not awesome money but definitely more than you would atm), would be to paint it all up, based, and then sell it as a fully themed painted army. Don't put Pro-Painted unless it really is because that also negates buyers, call it how it is. But, unless you want to put the effort and money and time into painting the army, then honestly, don't buy it to strictly sell thinking you are going to make a quick buck.

You might make a little money, but if you look at the numbers it's not worth it.

You pay up front: 290+shipping (let's say 310 total to make it easy)
You put it on eBay and it sells for 400
400 x 10% = 40 dollars eBay fee
400 x 7%(If I recall correctly) = 28 dollar Paypal fee

The Paypal fee comes off the total right away, the eBay fee is a monthly "bill" you pay so it won't come off the total right away, so:

400 - 28 = 372
372 - 310 (remember you paid for the shipping originally, even if the buyer on eBay pays for his shipping you are still out your original shipping) = 62 profit

At the end of the month comes eBay fee time:

62 - 40 = 22 dollars profit.

Then, hope the buyer doesn't try and open a claim and get some sort of refund because of the packaging or whatever. This also doesn't take into account any additional packing material you might need, because when it comes to eBay, the buyer can open up a claim about anything and if they have pictures of broken models and your original listing shows those models in tact... there goes some money. Anything else can happen but this is just a basic scenario on what you would gain if all went according to plan.

Now, let's say you sold them separately, if you got even 80% of total retail, you still have to pay 10% eBay fee and a Paypal fee.

So if you were to get 80% retail and the total retail value of the whole lot was 580 (once again I only roughly did the calculations) your total would be 464.

464 x 10% = 46.40
464 x 7% = 32.48
464 - 32.48 = 431.52
431.52 - 310 = 121.52
121.52 - 46.40 = total profit of 75.12, this does not include buying boxes and package materials for each individual item. Remember, putting in a plastic bag, into an envelope will most likely break on transit and the buyer COULD open a claim for SNAD (significantly not as described), this can put you out even more. And so, the amount of packaging material needed to ship each individual unit may come to 50 dollars let's say . So you still will only make 25.12 in profit.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
sheeshmode ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by sheeshmode »

That's pretty crazy.

Well okay. Um... another question: has anyone sold true-scale/tall scale or attempted to? I have a bunch of pieces to roman legionnaires coming in and I'm hoping they'll be the right proportion for some ultra-smurfs, especially if they're tall-scale. I thought maybe there'd be a niche market in selling special novelty 40k stuff like that.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

The market for true scale is hit or miss. There are definite fans, but they're relatively rare and they're typically particular about what they buy. So, your stuff would have to look really good.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader

Post by themailedfist »

sheeshmode wrote:That's pretty crazy.

Well okay. Um... another question: has anyone sold true-scale/tall scale or attempted to? I have a bunch of pieces to roman legionnaires coming in and I'm hoping they'll be the right proportion for some ultra-smurfs, especially if they're tall-scale. I thought maybe there'd be a niche market in selling special novelty 40k stuff like that.

I think it's unlikely to produce many buyers. Simply put:

1. They'd have to be really well done to get people's attention.
2. If they are really well done, you'd be the only source of these models, which wouldn't match non-true-scale models purchased elsewhere (like GW)
3. People trying to build collections/armies are rarely happy to have to rely on one converter for their entire army, unless it's themselves.

--Robert

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”