Outbreak of spambots

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

TheOgreTyrant ( 54 )
Journeyman Trader

Outbreak of spambots

Post by TheOgreTyrant »

So, apparently these annoying little creatures have invaded bartertown. They repeatedly post or reply in threads with strange messages, some of them in English, some of them characters. They seem to be popping up everywhere, including in the sections of the site which many of us don't regularly go in. I've warned a couple admins but figured I'd let everyone here know (if somehow you didn't notice it everywhere). The three usernames I have noticed "spamming" these strange posts are:

MeetratBicGat

bfd46co02

Unfiweencex

Hope this helps and sorry if this is in the wrong place!
TheOgreTyrant ( 54 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Outbreak of spambots

Post by TheOgreTyrant »

I've noticed two more usernames being used as spambots;

feallpsycle

proograkguh
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

I reported 2 already. I sent Pork a PM rather than report each one.

EDIT-

I found these names:

ARoorebooria

Scoumbabs

hizchectort

Yollireq

Aalsialets**

**foriegn launage postings.
Last edited by jason1977 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

I went ahead and reported all of the ones that had been posted since I was last on, which was a lot. I apologize for not picking the appropriate drop down after the first bunch since I was just trying to get them all flagged.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

turns out that evidently due to some maintenance the approval process got dropped, IIRC.

Plarz is sticking his finger in the dike and trying to stem the flow, and I am mopping up the trade areas..
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

For the longest time, you guys weren't seeing them because only staff was. A new user had to have their first post approved before it would show. So, only we had to deal with the gross amount of spam coming in.
I haven't spoken to Plarz since last night, but I'm sure he is working on it or will, as soon as he can.
In the mean time, just keep hitting that "Report" button, guys. Thanks.

Don't bother PMing anyone about it specifically, though. By the time we get the PM, a staffer will likely have removed it.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

Oops?

This is totally on me guys, sorry. 100% my fault. I apologize.

What happened:
The forum software's not very intuitive in how to set up requiring approval of posts before allowing full access, and when I was making a change MM and I had discussed trying out, I accidentally let open the flood gates. Of course, I didn't know it when I made the change before going to bed last night.

What I did to fix it:
I've changed what new accounts can see, and I've put the "must have your first post approved" system back into place. All new accounts now get funneled into a specially designed forum that is only visible to new, unapproved users and the moderators. This forum isn't visible, but believe me, it's there. This should contain any future spam outbreaks to just the one thread. Once we get done cleaning out the bots that got through last night, it should be back to business as usual.

As MM said, just keep reporting any spam you find, and we'll eventually get all of it cleared out.

Anyway, that's what happened, and what I've done to fix it. I appreciate your understanding, and your help in cleaning up what is ultimately, my mess.
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Thanks for the update and the fix, Plarz!
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”