Death of Game Stores

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

kalamire ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Death of Game Stores

Post by kalamire »

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like our local gaming stores are slowly going out of business? I live in SW Virginia with a decent population and a decent size group of local gamers. Since 2004 I've seen 7 Game shops (some were in business over 20 years) go under. Now there is not a gaming store within 60 miles any direction. I've discussed this with my group and I feel like storefronts will be a thing of the past while online stores take control. I am all about getting a good price on mini's since some companies are SO expensive (GW) but I've always been one to support my local game store. I think between the economy, the cost of gaming and the online Meta actual brick and mortar stores will be a thing of the past in the next 5-7 years. Anyone want to put their 2 cents in?
Lower rating you trade first.
If I have the higher rating and I'm buying you still ship 1st. 9 year member no negative feedback if you can't trust that, then I can't buy from you.
Offers stand for 48 hours after that if no communication has passed all trades are null and void.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Re: Death of Game Stores

Post by jason1977 »

'why build and paint a mini when i can buy a PS3 game and have some else do it??' is unfortunately the way i think kids are these days. the same thing can be said about comic book stores. fewer and fewer around. i can only hope that this is a fad and it changes. i work retail and every few years yoyos seemed to be the thing when kids went back to school.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
kalamire ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by kalamire »

jason1977 wrote:'why build and paint a mini when i can buy a PS3 game and have some else do it??' is unfortunately the way i think kids are these days. the same thing can be said about comic book stores. fewer and fewer around. i can only hope that this is a fad and it changes. i work retail and every few years yoyos seemed to be the thing when kids went back to school.
Thats exactly right to many of the youth now would just rather sit behind a TV and play online, instead of meeting socially and being creative IMHO
If I have the higher rating and I'm buying you still ship 1st. 9 year member no negative feedback if you can't trust that, then I can't buy from you.
Offers stand for 48 hours after that if no communication has passed all trades are null and void.
MattHoell ( 100 )
Resident Trader

Post by MattHoell »

I think it's more to do with two things:

1. Recession, people have less money to spend on "toys", that includes kids and adults.

2. Online retailers, the standard 20% off is a killer. And not that the web market is flooded with retailers it's really hard for a local guy to open their own online store.

This are the same reasons why Circuit City went out of business and Best Buy closed many of their big stores. I'm in Northern VA and I have seen 4 stores go out of business in as many years. It's to the point where on of the local leagues no plays in a bar (not such a bad thing :) )
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

kalamire wrote: Thats exactly right to many of the youth now would just rather sit behind a TV and play online, instead of meeting socially and being creative IMHO
Given some of the people at the game store (attitude and/or hygiene), I sometimes feel the same way.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

all of the above. the stores not selling online a well as selling in store.
people not wanting to have to leave home to play. not being able to paint and afford to buy the models. [ow many console or computer games can you buy vs the cost of 40k for example.]
prices going up. spendable income going down.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
astrosmash ( 140 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by astrosmash »

Our local gaming club has an interesting twist on this situation. We rent a large meeting hall from a retirement home, and 50-60 people come out one Saturday a month. It's $5 per person for 10am-10pm. There is a local online retailer that comes and sets up a booth with all kinds of gaming merchandise.
People can play whatever they want, and have the opportunity to buy stuff.
Other models like this may emerge to replace the traditional game store...
You Are Standing In An Open Field West Of A White House With A Boarded Front Door. There Is A Small Mailbox Here.
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

I remember when I worked in a GW retail store from '98-'00. We were taught to make the pitch that you could get into 40K or Fantasy for less than the cost of a video game system and a few games. I haven't been in a GW store for years so I wonder what the pitch is now considering that oldie is 100% lies under GW's current prices. :lol:
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
eman1_2 ( 278 )
Resident Trader

Post by eman1_2 »

Not true. PS3 + a few games will run you $400. You can have 3 DV sets, and a fully playable 2000 points of Dark Angels for less than that. Or even 1 set, and that still leaves $300 for expansion.
Mike

- A simple 'not interested' to a trade offer is just being polite. It helps people setting up multiple trades know where they stand.
- Google something for someone, they get an answer. Teach someone how to Google their own answer, they own the Internet.
kalamire ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by kalamire »

eman1_2 wrote:Not true. PS3 + a few games will run you $400. You can have 3 DV sets, and a fully playable 2000 points of Dark Angels for less than that. Or even 1 set, and that still leaves $300 for expansion.
I think the only time GW will be cost effective is only IF you buy exactly what you need for a competitive list and no extras. Other words do a bunch of forum reading work out that perfect 2k point list and just buy those models. Other than that buying a blister here, a new tank there will end up costing thousands.
Tir McDoul ( 32 )
Account Terminated - Multiple ID's & Trade Indiscretions

Post by Tir McDoul »

This has happened im my area too. Even the big stores have gone out. DJ comics in high point was pulling in crowds of 90+ for weekly tournements and when they hosted a regional it was 300+. 2 stores in my home town have gone under. I know of 3 in Charlotte as well and 1 in Mooresville. All gone. Now I have seen new ones pop up in Hickory and Cornelius and the old Time Tunnel in Hickory seems to be doing well along with Plan 9 in Boone. I would love nothing more to open a shop of my own but no matter how I figure it just dont think I can make it work. $900+ overhead a month for retail space just eats too heavy into profits. And Look at places like this site. Trading eats into profits as surely as online retailers. Also I think of how busy I was as a child and working a schedule for a several hour game is just difficult no matter how you slice it.
If you ever want to talk real time shoot me a msg and a time and Im willing to talk on skype.
kalamire ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by kalamire »

Tir McDoul wrote:This has happened im my area too. Even the big stores have gone out. DJ comics in high point was pulling in crowds of 90+ for weekly tournements and when they hosted a regional it was 300+. 2 stores in my home town have gone under. I know of 3 in Charlotte as well and 1 in Mooresville. All gone. Now I have seen new ones pop up in Hickory and Cornelius and the old Time Tunnel in Hickory seems to be doing well along with Plan 9 in Boone. I would love nothing more to open a shop of my own but no matter how I figure it just dont think I can make it work. $900+ overhead a month for retail space just eats too heavy into profits. And Look at places like this site. Trading eats into profits as surely as online retailers. Also I think of how busy I was as a child and working a schedule for a several hour game is just difficult no matter how you slice it.
I've been down to the store at Boone, really nice staff there. Ive also been down to charllotte and statesville before and passed a couple gaming stores. I think its just a sad thing, as newer generations grow up I think the desire to play rpgs, ccgs, to tabletop is just decreasing.
meecham63 ( 8 )
Trade Novice

Post by meecham63 »

I live in Quebec. There's one store which only sold GW and MAgic card stuff, and prices are very high. I don't think this store is going to continue for many years. There's another, who sold many things : rolegames, books, colectible coins and many others stuff... and a good selection of GW stuff at a good price. Online stores are good for prices on figs, but if you want just buy 2-3 brushes or paints, you will pay high prices due to shipping cost. I think that local stores will survive, with diversifying their activity.
We are strong. You are weak. Pray your false gods but don't hope for mercy.
Tarius ( 0 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Tarius »

That sucks. I live in SE Virginia and the store I would go to still has two locations open.(closed a 3rd a year or two ago because rent was too high but there were plans at some point to maybe open another but I dont know much else)
I'm the Librarian around here.
Once you play 40k, everything else seems cheaper.
Bulkoth ( 122 )
Resident Trader

Post by Bulkoth »

I live in State College, PA and the closest store is about 45 minutes away. We used to have a store in town that had some 40k and no play space but the dude at the counter would berate customers if he didn't approve of the stuff they were purchasing so obviously no one went there unless absolutely needed and it closed. He once yelled at me for buying a pack of D&D 4th Ed character sheets because it was a bad system, he was right but you still don't belittle customers who are spending money.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”