Can you prime over painted minis?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Can you prime over painted minis?

Post by CMSheats »

Hello all. I want to know if you can prime over painted SM marines. Or do you have to scrape all the paint of for it to look good? Thanks
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Can you prime over painted minis?

Post by kturock »

no.
You can strip them, then reprime them.
or you can just paint over them. [bad idea.] every layer hides detail of the sculpt.

someone here had a 'how-to' on stirpping.

I use pinesol on metal and either simple green or purple power on plastics.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Technically, you can; but you would lose a lot of detail.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

OK thanks guys. Do you have the link to the "How to"?
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
oaflord ( 196 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by oaflord »

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=127956

You're welcome.

oAF
References owed to me: fhoenix, razley, MEversbergII
References owed by me: None.
MagickalMemories wrote:I think it was best said by Oaflord, with his 14 rating. Smart fella, there.
MagickalMemories wrote:Oaflord... You're a Dork! (Put THAT in your sig line!)
MagickalMemories wrote:Oaf... Yer still a flippin' idiot. Some things just don't change. :wink:
Magickalmemories wrote:That oaflord! He's one heck of a great guy!
MagickalMemories wrote:Oh, God, oAF! You did it. You drank it. Now, you're dooooooomed.
MagickalMemories wrote:No... it makes you a HERO! (in reference to me)
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Thanks man
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

I had another question guys, where can I get rocks and stuff for marine bases? What do you use?
oaflord ( 196 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by oaflord »

CMSheats wrote:I had another question guys, where can I get rocks and stuff for marine bases? What do you use?
This one always cracks me up... My driveway isn't paved, so I went out and got a tub full of driveway. Ranges from sand to large rocks about the size of a marine knee pad. Haven't run out yet...lol

Now... if you mean large rocks for marines to stand on, I recommend wood chips. They look like rock if primed and painted properly.

Hope that helps!

oAF
References owed to me: fhoenix, razley, MEversbergII
References owed by me: None.
MagickalMemories wrote:I think it was best said by Oaflord, with his 14 rating. Smart fella, there.
MagickalMemories wrote:Oaflord... You're a Dork! (Put THAT in your sig line!)
MagickalMemories wrote:Oaf... Yer still a flippin' idiot. Some things just don't change. :wink:
Magickalmemories wrote:That oaflord! He's one heck of a great guy!
MagickalMemories wrote:Oh, God, oAF! You did it. You drank it. Now, you're dooooooomed.
MagickalMemories wrote:No... it makes you a HERO! (in reference to me)
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Wow that's a great idea! I live a mile down a dirt road so that should work great. Thanks Oaf.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

That stuff is heavy and cheap. I USED to use it as well. However I found it didnt paint well. I use ballast from model train sets. Most of my models are based the exact same no matter the army. All my armies are completed as the would have been in the 3rd war of Armageddon. So I use a small and medium ballast mixed together with a few light brown off colored rubble pieces. I mix it together and basically dip the base in with white glue on the top. I then let it dry and then attach the odd clump of dead yellowed grass or shrub with railroad flock and sponge.

You get this:

Grass looks greener with the lighting i used. It is yellow in person.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I tried clean, kitty litty once.
It soaked up alot of paint & glue.
So when you try dirt & sand, see if it soaks up paint/water/glue.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

Lol, well that's what kitty litter is meant for. :lol: I like the base you posted. I am just looking for something like that.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Careful with using things you just pick up off of the ground. They can have microbes and other nasty little gribblies in them that you can't see with the naked eye. As I understand, they can eventually ruin the paint job.

For large boulders, I like tree bark. I've never actually USED it msyelf, but I've seen it used plenty. Let it sit in a bleach bath for a while, then rinse it out and dry it completely.

For smaller rock on bases, I use sand. You can get a LARGE bag at the Dollar Store, and it will last you a very long time.
The bag I got also came with some seashells that I was able to give to my daughter to make her very happy. : )

Otherwise, there are plenty of places where you can buy basing materials online (GW, etc).

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

So when you say tree bark, can I just go in my back yard and get a hunck of bark? Is there any type of bark that works better than others?
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I don't know, really. I've never used it, so I've never looked to see what kind of trees it comes from.
You ever see the tree bark that people use as mulch or filler around bushes? That stuff.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”