3eland wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 am
How are you liking your rats? I've been wanting to get one for a while now but I've only known one person who ever owned a rat. It was very friendly with them but often nibbled.
Only thing is I also have more cats now.... LOL
I LOVE them. Best pet decision I've ever made.
It can take a while for them to warm up to you, as they're prey animals by nature, but they're SO fun and smart.
But you should not "get one." They're social animals. You shouldn't get less than 2, like I did, and 3 is the recommended number.
They will often nibble at first, until they learn what is and isn't "edible." It's a learning process. You need to learn how to "eep" properly. LOL
Mine will stand up, give me "five," understand that "come upstairs" means the top level of their cage.
I could go on and on.
The best pieces of advice I can give you are:
1) Research FIRST. After you have them is too late. Know what to prepare for.
2) Understand the difference between male and female rats.
3) Adopt from a REPUTABLE BREEDER/RATTERY. There are plenty of anecdotes about good "feeder" rats used as pets, but those are not the norm. Good ratteries breed for health, longevity, and temperament.
4) Don't "half-a55" their cage. Do it right. Invest in a good one.
5) Don't adopt until you understand that they're fragile. Two years is considered old age for a rat. Anything beyond that is an anomaly and should be cherished.
6) Sick rats can live for a long time in pain. Be prepared to have to euthanize one to be sure it's out of its misery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lower rating? You ship first.
Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
I think what this situation needs is some imagination.
"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell
Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.