RPG advice needed

Role Playing Game discussion area.

Moderator: Moderators

CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

RPG advice needed

Post by CMSheats »

Hello all. I need some advice on RPG's. I have never done any board RPG's but am thinking of starting and need some help. For instance, D&D seems to be very popular in that area, but is that a good first timer one? I really don't know anything about this and just need some advice. What would be good to start with to get me used to the whole world of RPG? Thanks
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: RPG advice needed

Post by kturock »

Here's a FREE download of a very good RPG. It includes a set of test drive rules, a sample adventure, characters for the adventure and cardboard figure flats.

http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/TheWildHuntDownload.pdf

Here's a link to the sites other free downloads.
http://www.peginc.com/downloads.html
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Visit your FLGS. Find out what's played locally. Try to find a group through them. See if they can pass your phone # along.
IMO, if you're starting from scratch: Group first. Game second.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
CMSheats ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by CMSheats »

OK thanks guys. I will try that.
"We should have a trading contest! We see who can complete the most trades in a designated amount of-- oops, Porkuslime won before I finished the sentence." - extropymine
IraShaine1972 ( 416 )
Expert Trader

Post by IraShaine1972 »

If you want something more visual using figures and whatnot and simple then nothing beats Savage Worlds. If you want something that can be more discussion based and like a story where everybody participates and ROLEplays and is simple then I think Legend or Traveller from Mongoose is good for Sci-fi and fantasy and is simple. Call of Cthulhu is also great and simple but tends to have more narrative then action.

There is also the Pathfinder starter box which is probably the best RPG entry level product that has ever been produced IMO.

Return to “The Storyteller's Stage”