Help! My Half Elf Is Pregnant!

Role Playing Game discussion area.

Moderator: Moderators

astrosmash ( 140 )
Journeyman Trader

Help! My Half Elf Is Pregnant!

Post by astrosmash »

The 11 Strangest Questions From The D&D 'Sage Advice' Column...

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/12/1 ... s-dragons/

Reminded me of an argument I had back in AD&D 2nd edition- "can a whip kill you" ?
I still don't believe it's possible even though it did do 1-2d (if I remember correctly)
Good times!
You Are Standing In An Open Field West Of A White House With A Boarded Front Door. There Is A Small Mailbox Here.
DarkSoul ( 676 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Help! My Half Elf Is Pregnant!

Post by DarkSoul »

Thats funny,, that's the first Dragon Magazine i ever purchased.. it caught my eye because of the cover...

and yes a whip could easily kill you.. whips when used correctly will rend flesh off your body quite easily... but one of the bad things about D&D and a constant complaint from a lot of people is that armor made it harder for you to be hit and not reduce the amount of damage you took from combat.. which is what armor really did..

you could use a whip on a man in plate mail all day and the worst thing it would do to him is really irritate him from the pounding headache he got from the crack against the armor.

stupid fact... the tip of a properly used whip breaks the sound bearer.. that crack you here is actually a small sonic boom..
Regards,
Thomas Sexton

-- My Soul was removed to make room for all this Sarcasm.
astrosmash ( 140 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by astrosmash »

I'm having flashbacks...
If any normal guy was sentenced to say 10 lashings, they would
not die. A low level character has low HP so conceivably they could die from a few hits from said whip. Additionally you could kill a wolf or some other low level mob with ONE hit from a whip- completely absurd.
I would also like to introduce into evidence, gum-chewing child caning in Singapore and that one scene from Midnight Express.
I need to email my old DM and get this controversy going again LOL
You Are Standing In An Open Field West Of A White House With A Boarded Front Door. There Is A Small Mailbox Here.
DarkSoul ( 676 )
Millenium Trader

Post by DarkSoul »

your quite right 10 lashings would not normally kill some one.. but i don't think they would be trying to kill you with 10 lashes.. but it did happen.. slavers would often beat slaves to death with whips...

but also you can look at it this way...

a whip used in battle is not the same as a whip used for punishment.. combat whips often had sharp barbs attached to them. I've also been told that they would soak them in resin and then run them through broken glass, or metal shards, whips were often used in gladiatorial combat not so much for the devastating attacks but from the amount of blood that a strike from a whip could cause..... the combat would go on for longer periods with lots of blood... also the handle of the whip made a awesome flail for close combat.. this was brought into street fighting and called a black jack.. and trust me you don't want to be hit with one... it will break bones and the back of your skull with very little force.

then of course you have the oriental chain whips.. and if anyone ever came at me with one of those i would run like hell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcPr-AP1Vss

IDK.. but i do know you can be killed by whips... I'm not trying to start up a debate about it.. just providing information on the subject... as with most games though a certain suspension of belief or reality has to be taken in account while playing them..

and remember something else about D&D.. hit points really were not a measure of damage you could take.. it was a measure of how much punishment you could take before being rendered unable to fight or knocked unconcious.. and trust me.. 10 licks with a whip.. and your strongest MMA fighter would be hard pressed to do much ...
Regards,
Thomas Sexton

astrosmash ( 140 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by astrosmash »

fair enough...
laughing my a-- off, seriously
I have to concede, nicely done.

As kids we took 0 hp to be dead, and that opens up a whole
new can of worms. Now I really need to get in touch with my old DM!
DarkSoul ( 676 )
Millenium Trader

Post by DarkSoul »

Once again..

I am king of the geeks... LMAO
Regards,
Thomas Sexton

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Speaking of retro...

How *DID* you guys handle HP?
I always (and still do) use the rule that 0 is unconscious and you can go to negative CON before you're dead.
So, you're knocked out at 0 and, if you keep taking damage from something, you can bleed out until you hit negative your Con (So, -18 for an 18 Con), at which point the bucket has been kicked.

I take that back. Now, if they hit exactly 0, I let them make a Con check to stay conscious (I lifted this and adapted it from 3.x).

Oh... and my current D&D game is an AD&D 2e game, BTW. LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

as far as whips and whippings, read the Sharpe's books. The hero almost gets whipped to death in the 1st book He was sentenced to 100 lashings and was flayed to the bone. Blood loss, shock and infection where the actual killers.

I have and always have hated the hit-point system in games.
I prefer wound levels, where damage has effects.
My prefered system is Savage Worlds py Pinnacle Entertainment Group.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
DarkSoul ( 676 )
Millenium Trader

Post by DarkSoul »

Eric,

Thats what we do too.. well in 2en edition we did -10.. you would keep bleeding unless you made a con check to stabilize in 3.5 edition and now in pathfinder we use critical tables which can cause you to take additional damage each round due to blood loss.. we also use perm wounds as well.. those can effect dex con or str and can give negative modifiers to social situations.. or positive ones if your using intimidate.. Damage to a stat can only be healed by magic.. if done quickly enough cure spells can fix the issue but if its not possible to be cured in a short period of time , no casters or what ever.. then the HP recover as usual but the Dex or Str loss is permanent unless fixed by a regenerate spell. this is played as severed tendons.. horrific scars.. or if its bad enough a loss of limb or deformity.. we play D&D with more of a ability and RPG environment rather than hack and slash!
Regards,
Thomas Sexton

Return to “The Storyteller's Stage”