Restarting Warmachine, questions

Talk about any non-GW Fantasy, Steampunk or similar miniature game here.

Moderator: Moderators

insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Restarting Warmachine, questions

Post by insidius »

Thinking of getting back into Warmachine. Had a few questions. I haven't played since Prime.

1. What book(s) are current?
2. What is the current state of the game like? Is anything generally considered over or under powered?
3. Hardcore players, what is the outlook of the game for the future? Do you think is headed in a good or bad place?
4. Is this a good time to get back into the game? Is there an anticipated edition change soon or something else I need to know before I buy in?

Thanks for reading and thanks for your help!
mon·ey: noun; a good that acts as a medium of exchange in transactions.
Money is a good like everything else; if your rating is lower, you ship first whether money is involved or not.

USPS Mail Fraud / / FBI Internet Fraud Center
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Re: Restarting Warmachine, questions

Post by tordeck »

Current Books for Warmachine (wm) and Hordes (h)

Prime Mk 2 - wm
Primal Mk 2 - h
Wrath - wm
Domination - h
Colossals - wm
Gargantuans - h
Vengeance - wm

Generally the game is pretty balanced as is the meta.

Not hardcore so I wont answer this one.

Now is as good as ever. PP seems pretty happy with how Mk 2 came out and with how nice the rules are as is there isnt really a need for a Mk 3.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
Bahamut_Dragonlord ( 344 )
Resident Trader

Post by Bahamut_Dragonlord »

insidius wrote:1. What book(s) are current?
Tordeck sorted this one out for you. Additionally each faction has a "Forces of" book that is also current.
insidius wrote:2. What is the current state of the game like? Is anything generally considered over or under powered?
Generally, nothing is considered game breakingly powerful, though there is definitely a power curve of caster. Having said that, good players win Warmachine, not just good casters.
insidius wrote:3. Hardcore players, what is the outlook of the game for the future? Do you think is headed in a good or bad place?
I don't know that I qualify as hardcore, having only been in the came for just over a year, but I think the game is heading in exciting directions. We have new factions coming out (Convergence of Cyriss, Cephalyx, and an unknown Hordes faction in the next couple years). The fluff has been expanding in leaps and bounds with all the new ebook releases as well as the additions of the High Command card game and Tactics, the video game. It is certainly not going anywhere. I think that generally in sales it rates a bit below 40k in scale, but sells more than Fantasy.
insidius wrote:4. Is this a good time to get back into the game? Is there an anticipated edition change soon or something else I need to know before I buy in?
There has been no indication of a new edition on the horizon. The game mechanics are pretty sound and thus far PP hasn't adopted the "change rules = sell models" tactic. I can't think of any specific things as a 'need to know' when getting back in. Possibly just be sure you leave Mark I in the past as I have heard ghost memories of MkI can be confusing! The miniature line is huge, so I would recommend proxying (or trading here) first to see what you like, as some things look better on paper than they play in your meta.

Good Luck!
If I forget to post a reference for you, please let me know!
If you are not going to post a reference for me, please explain why, maybe I can fix it!
insidius ( 76 )
Millenium Trader

Post by insidius »

Great, thank you guys for the helpful responses. :)

If anyone else has any input, feel free to chime in :)
mon·ey: noun; a good that acts as a medium of exchange in transactions.
Money is a good like everything else; if your rating is lower, you ship first whether money is involved or not.

USPS Mail Fraud / / FBI Internet Fraud Center
XBoxDude79 ( 430 )
Expert Trader

Post by XBoxDude79 »

The current edition of WM/H isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Not for a couple more years at least. The current book data has been covered, but if you download the War Room app, it gives you all the card data in both the Hordes and Warmachine MKII main rulebooks for free. You then have the choice of either puchasing individual factions, all the Hordes or Warmachine factions, or both at a discounted rate. If you're looking to get back into it, I'd highly advise just getting both the factions. I think it's something like $60, but it's well worth it, and it has recently been updated so the app is much faster and more user friendly.

The state of the game is pretty balanced across the board. Major tournament winners over the past year have come from all of the factions and even a few surprise wins such as Jason Flanders and his Trollbloods (often thought of as one of the weaker factions). If you're looking to get back into it, take a look at the PP website, and more than anything go with what you think looks cool, don't worry too much about the "auto win button" with WM/Hordes, because there isn't one. As Bahamut said, good players win Warmachine, not good lists. There have been plenty of times I've played and thought the game was over for me, only to somehow miraculously pull out a win at the last moment.

Scenario play is the key to keeping the game fresh, download the steamroller packet provided on the PP website for free. They give you about 10-12 different scenarios to play, and it keeps you on your toes, and helps to make balanced army lists.

Overall, there is nothing really overpowered factionwise. There are particular models that see quite a bit of play within each faction, but you won't see a particular faction overpowering any other. There are some complaints about Legion since quite a few of their beasts have pathfinder (move through terrain freely), and also eyeless sight (ignore a lot of true line of sight rules), but other than that I think most factions all have their own little niche within the game.

In closing, the game is definitely headed to great places. More sub factions are coming out soon (Cephalyx), with a new faction being released last year Congergence of Cyriss) for warmachine. Vengeance was just released this month, with most of the models being released already. The storyline continues forward as well with some surprises. Do your research, check playstyles of each faction but a quick guide is:

Cygnar-Shooty but a little pillow fisted
Khador-Defensive but a little slow
Cryx-Fast but light on armor
Menoth-good medium, uses a lot of fire
Retribution-Angry elves, fast warjacks
Congergence-Mechacasters interchangable warjacks
Mercs-A few different options dwarves, pirates, and generic

Trollbloods-Almost all medium based and tough
Skorne-Slow but has good beast buffers
Legion-Heavy hitting dragons
Circle-Tricky, hard hitting but light on armor
Minions-Also a few different options Pigs and Gators

Hope this helps!

XBD
Lower rating? You ship or pay first. PP fees are buyers responsibility.

Return to “Swords, Sorcery and Steampunk”