Am I missing something? WM/HRDS

Talk about any non-GW Fantasy, Steampunk or similar miniature game here.

Moderator: Moderators

flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Am I missing something? WM/HRDS

Post by flyingwhale »

MagickalMemories wrote:I disagree about Warmachine being cheaper.
I mean, you can get INTO the game for less of an investment, but it's not cheaper on a model by model basis. That's not true at all.

Eric

That's what I ment. It's cheaper as an investment I have found.
"When life gives you lemons you take those lemons and clone them and make super lemons" - Principal Scudworth

Read this before shipping to me
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Plarz ( 362 )
The Technomage

Post by Plarz »

For me, it's the fact that I rarely need to buy two of something combined with the fact that when I buy something, it's good for eternity, not useless in 5 months.

*That's* where the real savings kick in.

(IMO)
MagickalMemories wrote:Please, nobody take this the wrong way when I say... Plarz, I love you.
No, no, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin and - then - thrust!
Plarzoid.com: A Miniatures Blog
Currently trading with: - | Owed Refs from: - | Owe refs to: -
If I owe you a ref, PM me!
Forsaken Poptart ( 578 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Forsaken Poptart »

Tell that to people who own Kossites. They're useless for eternity ;)
Do I owe you a trade ref? Remind me- sometimes I forget!
Awaiting trade refs from: tristym, yazaran

If you don't have your Location listed, take a second and update it!

-I respond within 48 hours unless utterly incapable. Please do the same. Any offer I make stands for that long as well.
-Lower rating? You ship/pay first. Same goes for me.

'How Much for...?' messages will no longer be replied to at all. I've been nice about it, now I'm done.
flyingwhale ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by flyingwhale »

Plarz wrote:For me, it's the fact that I rarely need to buy two of something combined with the fact that when I buy something, it's good for eternity, not useless in 5 months.

*That's* where the real savings kick in.

(IMO)

you mean the razorback spam didn't work forever!?!
"When life gives you lemons you take those lemons and clone them and make super lemons" - Principal Scudworth

Read this before shipping to me
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
Soukin ( 176 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Soukin »

Hello. The main reason why I was drawn to Warmahordes almost immediately (over 40k) was because I noticed that my success in games was almost completely based on how I played and not on what faction or list I had. I played 40k for about 2 years (and I don't know if this has changed in 6th edition), but generally it came down to list vs list completely independent of how I played. When I picked up Hordes, I was pretty happy to find that I could show up to a game night with one set of models and play against anyone and still have a chance in hell.

-While I agree that you are more sensitive to dice rolls because of the pitiful amount of rolling involved compared to 40k, you have options like boosting and rerolls that allow you to increase your odds or dice reliability. To say that the game has no tactics is completely incorrect, it actually has too much tactics at times. A lot of my favorite strategies involve placing, locking, and moving enemy models; this is very rare in 40k, but adds a lot of strategy on the board
-If you are playing a shooty army range should not be an issue, when you have guns with 16" or 14" range there are very few models that can make a charge at that range. The problem is that you get a very small margin of error in trying to guess distances. Trust me though, armies and lists that were meant for shooting have no problem with range.
-I forget who said it, but it explains the mechanics between warmachine and hordes simply, "the focus mechanic is about resource management and the fury mechanic is about risk management." I rarely go "balls deep" :lol: because I know my list cannot handle that type of playstyle.
-Feats were designed to be game changers. Some are extremely powerful, but usually you just have to know what they do to find ways around them.
-It's probably the first lesson everyone learns, protect your warlock or warcaster. Also, I don't think it's fun when players feed me their warlock or warcaster.

With all of that said, I think the biggest drawbacks to warmachine and hordes are: hobby aspect (no extra bits), factions have predefined "battle strategies" so you have to make the choice between what you think looks cool and what actually fits your playstyle, and getting sucker punched by some crazy combo you never saw coming :(
People who owe me references, slackers: fn_quick
TimeLapse ( 62 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TimeLapse »

Warmachine is an interesting game. I will have to say that it really depends on who you play the game with. When I first started to play about 6 years ago I had a really bad teacher who thought that instead of telling all the rules he would use them then enplane why i should have used them myself. I wont get into details but I lost 4 games in a row without knowing how and what I was supposed to do. I quite soon after and restarted late this year. I am liking the game allot more now, I even re-made my old dwarf list and am having allot of fun with it. But it comes down to the people you play.

I do have some beef with WM/H the first off the amount of knowledge you have to have to keep competitive is massive. And the books are too expensive to really buy one of each faction to keep up with there combos. So most like myself have to learn first hand. But when re-learning the game I had two really good teachers, Jack who is an old hat at the game and is a battle computer talk me through how his lists worked and helped me understand both my and his lists before each game. Another good teacher was my friend Nate who started playing when i did. Nate and I play allot of games just messing around with our models and trying crazy things/combos out. Its about the people you play with. Nate and I are both laid back players, and as of now I don't think ether of use will do tournaments for at lest another half a year or more.

I play loads of games, like 40k, Flames of war and malifaux. They each have something interesting, my main game is flames of war, it is allot like 40k with IMO a better rule set. But with all the games I play the amount of knowledge needed to play competitive WM/H is massive. flames of war you can build one set list and take on all other lists with it. Malifaux you build for VP not to counter lists, for 40k well that is hard some lists are simply more powerful then others and so some lists will have next to no chance or a hard time winning. But in Warmachine your list has to be just so, and flexible at the same time to deal with what ever your opponents list can do, and you must know and understand what your opponent can do or you will lose.

At my first store before i moved Warmachine tended to attract all the power gamers of the whole store, so the games were just not as fun to play as the other games mainly due to who you had to play, (not all the players were like this but enough were) So every game you played was like a tournament game, no one let you fix an error (Even if you were new) and always the rule lawyers would push there interpolation to always benefit them. at my 2nd store the same can be said but there seems to be a more 50/50 mix of players that you can have a laid back game.

So I think it really depends on the players and there mindsets.

But that is my thoughts on the matter.

-Andrew
"Its easier to forget yourself when life seem so much more important then self consideration."
-Andrew Haught -Hey I quoted myself. go figure.

Check out my gaming blog here http://wftlw.blogspot.com/
Jhokalups ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Jhokalups »

Not trying to stir the hornets nest, but Privateer Press did fix the shield guard thing.

Return to “Swords, Sorcery and Steampunk”