GW fallout to Privateer Press fun!

Talk about any non-GW Fantasy, Steampunk or similar miniature game here.

Moderator: Moderators

osloco ( 210 )
Resident Trader

GW fallout to Privateer Press fun!

Post by osloco »

I see a lot of converts on the PP forums and was wondering how many B-towners have swapped over. I played 40k for years, and Fantasy for a while. Then got sick of GW bs and after my buddy bought a few things jumped ship and have been playing for 8 months now. I quite enjoy it. The part I most enjoy is the player decisions matter, not as much as the army. Ramble, ramble, now where was this going again.....
Please ship to my by post office, couriers pull all kinds of shenanigans with customs fees
Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Re: GW fallout to Privateer Press fun!

Post by Linrandir »

I certainly did. Switched over about 4 or 5 years ago and never looked back (last 40k game I played was right after 4e came out, never even read the rulebook). I eventually ended up as a member of the Press Gang, and with a particular exception it's been a great ride so far.

I find that while some of the GW models are neat-looking, they're better used in narrative games with independent rule sets rather than GW's yahtzee style games. Your mileage may vary, of course.
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
luke ( 164 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by luke »

I jumped stopped playing 50k when I went to college (no players where I was) then started up flames of war. I have since also started warmachine because I like the models and playstyle, good for a break from 15mm painting and slow thinking. I just got disenchanted with too many editions of rules and codex creep. I am still new to warmachine but loving it, except for detailing all of my knight exemplar errants. :-D I really love everything about Menoth and I love warjacks in general. I am still looking for more players in my area, as most of the guys play GW or FOW.
Daiszx ( 148 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by Daiszx »

I too, converted away from 40k into warmachine and other smaller games. when my local game store shut down we had to play at my house and nobody had the hours it took to play a gw game any more.
I am getting a bit disenchanted by some of the more powerful denial tricks but at least hope is never farther than the next book rather than the next edition. here's hoping wrath brings things more in line.
Please reply to private messages, it shows respect. Thank you.
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

I've actually gone the other way. I left Privateer and now play 40K. Mk II was the final nail in the PP coffin for me.
Forsaken Poptart ( 578 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Forsaken Poptart »

I used to play 40k exclusively, then picked up a box set and a couple of infantry units, played the occasional game, and then around the time all (or at least, most) of the Prime models released, I swapped my Dark Angels army for a fully loaded Menoth army, and haven't looked back since, aside from the occasional GW mini that looked fun to paint. I'm a PG, play 5 different armies, and I just can't get enough!

My issue with GW was the price barrier, the time needed to play an average (1500-ish) point game, and the lack of variety that was very present in 3rd ed. That said, I still love the 40k universe; I practically devour every new novel that comes out, I'm trying to find a way to play Dawn Of War 2, and I still have my Inquisitor minis!
Do I owe you a trade ref? Remind me- sometimes I forget!
Awaiting trade refs from: tristym, yazaran

If you don't have your Location listed, take a second and update it!

-I respond within 48 hours unless utterly incapable. Please do the same. Any offer I make stands for that long as well.
-Lower rating? You ship/pay first. Same goes for me.

'How Much for...?' messages will no longer be replied to at all. I've been nice about it, now I'm done.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

I started to switch over to hordes when a bud of mine said he was gonna get some. We lived right around the corner from each other, but never found the time to play..even online.
SO I have a warppack and a few more Circle minis...trying to sell them, I sold the books already.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
james4177 ( 156 )
BTown Regular

Post by james4177 »

I started with GW back in the Rogue Trader days. I love their story and the look of their minis but was never really satisfied with the rules. As my life got more complex (kids, college, work) I had less and less time for playing. I didn't really quit just sort of ground to a halt due to lack of time. I took up PP because the games looked smaller and faster.

I'm still willing to play 40k but I don't make the time to mess with it.

I really think they ought to make a smaller skirmish level game that uses the same minis as the main armies. Players could get in a quicker game and work towards completing their larger forces as they worked on the skirmish forces.

I don't see myself returning to 40k anytime this year there is too much fun to be had playing War Machine and Hordes.

J--
gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Post by gardenninja »

I used to play 40k almost every week, back when I lived in Denver.

Then someone demoed Warmachine for me, and I decided that I really loved it. The precision of the rules writing is such a boon, and I really like the way that each turn you need to decide what to do, and how much that matters. Honestly, I love Blood Bowl for the same reason.

I haven't become as anti-40k as some Privateer Press fans (although I play Space Hulk more than 40k these days). It is just really nice to see some other game options getting attention from fans.
eric68 ( 50 )
BTown Regular

Post by eric68 »

I really love both game sets. If I had to be stuck on a desert Island with only one of them it would be warmachine though. Ironically my favorite gameing freind doesn't like it because he feels it is too character driven. Kill the warcaster win the game. Well that is true to an extent, but pp seems to have designed that as part of the mechanics. The character is powerful but not indestructible, you have to decide where and when to commit the character to win the game without the character being killed.
aurak_merc ( 440 )
Resident Trader

Post by aurak_merc »

I was very much a fanatic Warmachine player and collector for several years. I had close to 20,000 points of various armies (under original rules). However, about 6 months before MK2 came into effect, there was something of a division in the local ranks and many of us ended up selling or trading our armies off. I collect 40k stuff now just because I think it looks neat and if I ever actually get time to play I can find an opponent in under 30 minutes as the WH players are always up for a game.

Both games are really solid though, and can be acres of fun.
Always remember that your stuff is nearly worthless junk. The other person's items are highly valuable collectibles.

If I owe you a reference, please remind me.

I don't expect people to wait forever for an answer, and expect the same courtesy.
Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

Which in the end, I think, comes down to the most important part - it's not just what game you're playing, but who you're playing it with. If you've got a group of people with whom you can Calvinball the rules and everyone still has a good time, who cares?
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
nightspawn ( 606 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightspawn »

GW warhammer fantasy is not fun anymore period its a product for business and the only thing consistent i noticed with whfb are two things:
1.) Consistent increase in prices.
2.) Ever as always "piss players off!"

I am currently keeping three armies traded/sold 5 of them already to buy privateerpress stuff which is the True blue
"All-American Miniature game!!!" I currently own 1 WM and 2 Hordes armies and they are all fun, their price is as based on the pound of metal not their viability and popularity.

Enough said i am glad i am relieved of buying GW have not bought any GW paints and figures for the last 6 months.
Im now a WarmaHordes Freak!!!: 100pts. Cryx, 70pts. Legions of Everblight ,50pts. Skorne only 4 armies left for GW, 2.5K IG , 3K Empire, 3K Demons of Khorne.
Scytale ( 56 )
BTown Regular

Post by Scytale »

Our group faced similar changes as well. We were playing 40k a lot and sometimes around superiority, Warmachine became really popular. Or better, Hordes got really popular. We've had our ups and downs in activity but there's always about 10 of us playing WarmaHordes so it's enough. On good days (like our last event) there's 16 of us, could get up to 20. Most of us still have our 40k armies (I sold 4 here and still have one) but practically never play. A new group of 40k enthusiasts evolved though, and I'd say they have roughly about the same number of active players as WMH. Some of the WHFB players on the other hand, have switched to Flames of War.

It's interesting to see how communities evolve around games and rules changes within the games. About 6-8 of us I'd say stopped playing 40k when 4th ed. and true line of sight came out while at the same time, roughly the same number of new players started playing 40k. New WHFB comes out (is it 8th?, I don't follow anymore, I just know it messed up my undead :-P ) and people switch to FoW. Ok to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure that was the case for the switch but whatever. So do games affect who you hang out with or vice versa? :D
A little something I noticed lately...people seem to put black paint over a painted model and sell it as 'primed'. The next time my brake fluid reveals my 'primed' model had several layers of paint on it, some genius will get a negative ref. Play fair blokes...

Lower rating ships/pays first and all the usual stuff.

And please, take those 3 seconds to reply to my PMs. A simple 'no' would do, anything more is always greatly appreciated.

People who owe me refs: Bladesuit
ambrose132 ( 30 )
BTown Regular

Post by ambrose132 »

I used to play both games. I loved Warmachine at the start, with the strter boxes. Big Robots smashing each other was amazing. Then i played my first large game, and watched a unit of 10 meager humans decimate my beloved Juggernaut. I like the rules to a degree, but found that to be competitive you HAVE to have units A,B, and C. I like Warhammer where every unit has a use, but the focus on bigger units, and $90 dollar rule book?! makes my stomach turn abit. I'll still play Warhammer, and if i can find a cheap army, will get some Hordes Gatormen. But i think I like low level Fantasy better.

Return to “Swords, Sorcery and Steampunk”