40k Tourney formats?? Where to find the best rules?

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

40k Tourney formats?? Where to find the best rules?

Post by nightlord »

Hello guys and thanks for reading this. I have been playing 40k since Rogue trader and have played in many 40k tournies in many states across this country. Back when GW created and supported Rogue trader Tournies the format was simple and played well with all. Especially with the true "hobbiest" . Then GW dropped supporting there own 40k tournies and the Rogue Trader has now become a monster of its own. And many other tournies are just plane MONSTERS. Pure power gaming. Little left to the original fluff and the history of the actual armies being played. I love the game of 40k as you can already figure that out just from the time ive put into the game. I love the hobby side of the game. And I love the tourney side for the competitive side of me. But the Hodge- podge armies ive seen in the Local Rogue trader tournies. And what ive observed watching these ITC rules tournies. Well the Idea of FLUFF and History of the armies being played just go right out the window.

SO! I ask you people here does anyone here have a format that is both Competitive and Sticks to the fluff and history of the armies in the 40k world. Please help me Obi Wan. Your my only hope.
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: 40k Tourney formats?? Where to find the best rules?

Post by MagickalMemories »

The problem, frankly, is that you're getting old, NL.
You remember the "good old" days, when people cared about the fluff, history and backstory. So do I.
Tourneys now don't take any of that into account. "Fluff"' for the army (where a tourney is concerned) is 100% rules based. If the rules allow it, it's "fluffy."
Barring small, local tourneys, man, I just don't think you're going to be seeing that any more.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
larks ( 444 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by larks »

Yeah I would look at your LGS for a an RTT . Most do "fluffy style" but even then you'll hove "those people" that will RAW the crap out of it as most as possible. MY LGS has one ITC and one Fluffy tournament a month so its the best of both worlds. Also some of the MAJOR event still have fluffy style tournaments. Looking at you ATC. These are generally referred to as Narrative tournaments. They are even at big ones like the LVO. You ave to sign up quick though bc spots fill up super fast .
sincerely,

Matt
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

LVO?? could you explain/ shed some light on this one to me?

And yes it is our Local Games Shop that is running a Hodge podge Rogue Trader of a unique design. Again, its something else compared to what we played in the past. The guys from the north play more ITC style and bring these "RAW" crap armies. And if you are the unlucky person to face one in round 1 of the tourney. You are pretty much done for the day as far as winning over all. Or winning anything for that matter. Some of them are like a 6 cheese blend.

Also I noticed less and less of the Locals are showing up for the tournies as the guys from the north are slowing running them off 1 at a time because of the levels of cheese they bring. So to find a tourney idea that will bring balance back is all im looking for.

Bring balance back . Help me Obi Wan, your my only hope.
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

LVO = Las Vegas Open

HUUUUUUUGE annual convention.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Try talking to your TO. Point out that everyone local is leaving and why.
It starts by them not showing up at your tournaments. It ends with them not showing up at your STORE.

Suggest that, if he tournaments aren't events that are ITC qualifiers, they add their own restrictions.
Myself, I LOVE the idea of a tournament that limits armies to just one or 2 codices. I WAY prefer the 'old ways," where your army came out of a single codex.

Eric

larks ( 444 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by larks »

Really it is up to the TO . So I would start there. If your store can do Two a month that is ideal bc you can can do one ITC and one narrative. Usually a Narrative tournament is less than 2000 points somewhere around the 1500-1850 mark. Which in matched play means you only use two detachments since its less than 2000 points. Some also set a CP limit to somewhere around 9 CP (before relic choice and detachments choices etc.
sincerely,

Matt

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”