Looking for Eldar tips

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Re: Looking for Eldar tips

Post by wsott1970 »

Yup... been many editions for me on that army... I really couldn’t say much anymore with certainty except what did well (and that you have to consider the meta it did well against)...

I wondered on this... Spiritseer - A better Warlock. For a couple more points, you get a 4 wound Warlock that can also support Wraiths. Even if you don't include any Wraiths, a Spiritseer is better than a Warlock IF YOU HAVE THE POINTS.

That makes sense.... in fact, 20-30 percent of those units didn’t exist last time I played with mine... lol

However, it sounds like you do...

Sean
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

wsott1970 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:41 am
Yup... been many editions for me on that army... I really couldn’t say much anymore with certainty except what did well (and that you have to consider the meta it did well against)...

I wondered on this... Spiritseer - A better Warlock. For a couple more points, you get a 4 wound Warlock that can also support Wraiths. Even if you don't include any Wraiths, a Spiritseer is better than a Warlock IF YOU HAVE THE POINTS.

That makes sense.... in fact, 20-30 percent of those units didn’t exist last time I played with mine... lol

However, it sounds like you do...

Sean
Dang man, when were the Elves last on the table?!?

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

They are all metal except for the brand new non-metal guardians... oh and the 1st plastic vehicle kits... I have a forgeworld wave-serpent upgrade somewhere (yeah that was a fun way to make wave-serpents and oh so affordible).... lol... A long time ago... I was very disintrested in 40K for the longest time after playing heavily (3rd to 4th I think)... and this addition is where I started playing again... Mostly imperial (soup like but not soup single book)... I like Imperial stuff together... I despise Marines alone (and refuse to play Silly Man or Ultramarines for that matter).

Even when out of 40K, I did still buy cool models that called to me.

Sean
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

If I made a list for Eldar it would be close to that LVO list... It feels utlhwe... Lots of guardians/avengers (really probably needs to be more guardians for Ulthwe)/wave-serpent-spam/Eldrad/Seers/Dark Reapers... The shining spears don't feel quite right to me (I get it - they are great - but I would prefer something else - ye olde Banshees [but they aren't what they used to be]) but they are really crucial... Heavy hitting power and gets at whatever you need it to get at... I wouldn't use that list in a 'it aint over till somebody is dead' (except vs IG), but they are taking objectives like crazy and should be able to hold via massed fire-power...

I would like to be able to do the Crimson rotation tricks w/ two of them to deny areas of the board and help block shots... but I feel like that is a different list...

I don't play Dark Eldar... Just never liked them... but Harliquins are cool (especially the Death Jester).

Thanks,
Sean
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

I am also a fan of the walkers (from the old days)... They are fragile but they will tear some stuff up... I have been looking at wasps occasionally... and have one Hornet that I wanted to bulk up and make into a death star at one time.

Sean
larks ( 444 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by larks »

wow 3Eland!

Now thats what I call pro tips/ player guide. super informative. I follow the competitive scene closely but I only played eldar back in 4th. ITs always good to know your enemy though!
sincerely,

Matt
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

larks wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:24 pm
wow 3Eland!

Now thats what I call pro tips/ player guide. super informative. I follow the competitive scene closely but I only played eldar back in 4th. ITs always good to know your enemy though!
Thank you :)

Yeah when you play competitively you need to ensure you're up to speed on not only your own army, but your opponents. Even any errata's/FAQ's. Unfortunately, people like to "forget" things about their armies and so unless you know it yourself, you're at a disadvantage. Not sure how close you were following LVO this year, but that Mech/Knight player "forgetting" his rules and when the T'au player called him out on it he got burnt bad... and on camera for the world to see!

I have a friend who only plays a single faction - doesn't care to expand into any other. Nothing wrong with that. He's been collecting since 3rd and so his entire collection is painted. He knows his rules flawlessly. But. He doesn't read up on other armies to learn their rules too. So there are times when he plays people, that he falls into their traps simply because he doesn't know what they can all do/what stratagems they have. Every time I talk to him post-games, he always brings up "Well if I had known that." - well... you could have known that - you SHOULD have known that. Once you branch into competitive play, you should make it a habit of learning the other armies. I have every book and every FAQ/Errata for that reason.

Now does this mean that a person brand new to the hobby/returning to the hobby that WANTS to get competitive should go out and buy every single book? Of course not. There are a lot of great websites out there that give great reviews of armies and their units and strats, etc.

It also helps you in friendly games. When you know your opponent's army, you can help them. "Don't forget you can do this." or "Remember you have X stratagem for this exact occasion.". Your games will be a lot more fun when both sides are having fun.

I've had complete strangers thank me for friendly pick up games simply because I wasn't there to win, but to have fun - and ensure my opponent was too. I had one guy tell me that he hated 8th edition, he never had a good time playing it, until he played me - supposedly I changed the entire way he saw the game. That's what you want in games - not to be frustrated or to frustrate your opponent.

This is why, every time anyone asks me where to start, I tell them to buy their book and read it three times. Then when they're done, they must choose - do I want to play at a friendly level or competitively. If friendly - buy the units you like. Reading your book three times had to have sparked some interest in a unit or two. If competitively - I can work with them on an army that suits their needs or they can go to the internet and ask them for a list (because in the end, the internet is going to give you the competitive answer any ways).

It usually sounds like a dick response though, so not many people ask me anymore ha ha.

In the end though, you pay a lot of money for your models, then invest a lot of time assembling and painting them. You should choose how you want to invest your game time.

Ryan
~Ryan~

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Not sure how close you were following LVO this year, but that Mech/Knight player "forgetting" his rules and when the T'au player called him out on it he got burnt bad... and on camera for the world to see!
I don't follow... but NOW I'm curious. LOL
Do you have a synopsis, link to an article, or anything?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

So the Mech Player won the roll off for deployment - which meant in the new rules, the T'au player would get first turn.

So the T'au player deployed right on the line.

The Mech player deployed in counter to this.

T'au player chooses to go first - allowing the Mech player to attempt to seize. He rolls a 6.

First turn charge from the Mech player. It pulverizes the T'au player's front line.

T'au player gets to go and moves around, etc etc. Goes onto shooting, starts shooting. Realizes he messed something up and asks the Mech player if he could have one takes-back (it's common for tournament players to allow their opponent a take back once per game). Mech player says no.

Mech players turn and he runs with his Knight, then pops a bunch of stratagems and goes to lay down some hurt - except the T'au player says "you can't do that, your Knight can't use Knight House traits since it is a detachment of 1". Sure enough, it is true - a detachment of a single Knight cannot take advantage of Knight House traits (they can use the stratagems, but not the traits) - so because he ran with his knight, it meant he couldn't shoot anything - essentially wasting all his CP. He asks the T'au player if he can take it back - T'au player said NOPE.

The sad thing is - he used the same tactic multiple times in previous games - but no one called him out on it because they didn't know. This dude is known to "forget" things, so it was no surprise that he did it. But having it called out on him, and then him wasting all that CP from it, while it was being streamed - yeah, it was huge.
~Ryan~

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Oh, and the Mech player got MAD when the T'au player wouldn't let him take back. Red in the face. He called the judge over and was told "NOPE". LOL
~Ryan~

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

What goes around...

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
IYANDEN_WRAITHLORD ( 14 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by IYANDEN_WRAITHLORD »

Thanks for all the help 3eland, that was alot to take in at once! It sounds like alot of similarities between 4th edition models exist, I just have to learn how the game plays out again. I'm definitely not playing to win, as I don't even see myself getting into a tournament until way later down the line, and likely will only play a bunch of skirmish games for the first while.
Memory tells me alot of the same attributes go to the aspect warriors as before, so I think I'll be mostly taken by what other armies are capable of, rather than surprised by my own force. The wraithblades are a surprise though, the wounds models for units nowadays seem to have really turned it up a notch. I used to love vibrocannons as well, I preferred them to the other support weapons because I usually ended up disabling armor with it pretty early on.

I think it's time I go pick up a couple books! :D
MagickalMemories wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:33 pm
IYANDEN_WRAITHLORD wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:28 pm
I have a Pheonix flyer still...
Well, I'd sure as Hell HOPE so!
LOL

Eric
Haha! I somehow missed this the first time around. That flyer has been knocked off his base by cats more times than I like to admit, but has weathered the abuse well. The events surrounding that model returning to me seriously gave one of the biggest restorations in humanity I've had the pleasure of experiencing :)
Think for yourself, question Authority.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Yeah.
I was only able to help around half to 2/3 of the people he owed... but I think that ranged in the 10's of thousands recovered. I know one army recovered was $4000 JUST in MSRP on the FW DKoK models.

Too bad. He was a talented painter.

You know... I can't remember if I ever even saw pics of your model at the time. Do you still have any?

Eric

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

I agree with the book thing... If you use Azyr for fantasy it is pretty cheap at $20 a book... I really wish they had an Azyr clone for 40K... I will pay a buck for easy access to everything... I am too cheap to pay $40 for each book, so I just wait for mintaker to get used ones (in good shape) and get them for $20... It sucks but you need most all of those books but you really do.

Optimally, I guess you could buy the books you wanted and just kind of fish around for place that they 'may' be accidentally published... but if I like it I want the real book (except for Azyr)...

LVO 2019 was fantastic... I followed it pretty closesly... I tend to build pretty strong armies (meta-ed around each other) that appeal to me (but I have most stuff so that is easy)... then I let people that comeover to play use them... Even from a casual approach you will slowely learn them... and if the army is easy to drive it will be potent (if you know the game)... I like to play competetivly but I despise tourneys.... You couldn't pay me money to go through grinding for multiple days... I would rather do campaign/escalation/etc over weeks... or again just play with friends (that are like minded).

Sean
larks ( 444 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by larks »

Ah KArma . Feels so good.

I am a podcast man myself , best in faction, signal from the front line , finest hour , FTN etc . That's where I get most of my info from. Like politics I like to hear all sides so I find differing podcast offer many good points of view. I started way back in that awkward 3.5 phase right before 4th and it shows in my list as I often find it hard to not take a balanced list bc "back in my day"u had the good old 2-6-3 rule for list design. So I find most of my lists now still reflect that which I have been trying to shy away from seeing most comp list like to maximize one slot or unit choice.

Currently working on a flawless host, possessed vigilus daemonkin swarm idea... all the mortal wounds....
sincerely,

Matt

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”